• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Mufflers like the flow40?

Daven

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Hey everyone, i was wondering if you guys know of a muffler that sounds like a flowmaster 40 muffler. Mainly Magnaflow since thats prett much all the in-town shop stocks :/

I need a muffler that is loud, deep, and sounds good on a 2.9L. Going to go with 2.25" piping. I just want something that sounds good and is loud. No.. not fart-can kinda sound...

Thanks for any opinions and recommendations. I am re-doing my exhaust, but all the in-town shop stocks is magnaflow. And it might have been the car, but my friend put on a magnaflow muffler from there that was supposed to be loud and it wasnt really loud. That and you could only actually hear it from the back of the car lol. But it was a old '70s pointac catalina and that car was real long so that may have played a role in it?

Damn shipping costing more than the muffler...

Bennybooster

EMT / Paramedic
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
the 2.9 is louder than the 4.0 fyi lol...

the 40 is an original muffler. i still don't think there is a muffler that sounds like the 40. but some people like summit ones. idk how they sound. i've heard a lot of good about raptors but again, never heard them. if you want the 40 sound.. get a 40. i think i still have one laying around i might throw back on my b2.

RangerFabWorks

The O.G blackwidow67
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
THRUSH welded is as close to the flow40 as your going to get and only 30.00

Bennybooster

EMT / Paramedic
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I got my raptor for 2 bucks and put it on Saturday, I love the sound. Its not too loud in the cab but has a good rumble and when you get on the gas it sounds nice

Daven

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Really, the 2.9 is louder than the 4.0? Hmm I just asumed lol. I wish i could know how they sound before i get them put on :/ Youtube videos usually arent that good and im afraid ill get a muffler setup and have it sound like crap on the lil v6. Lol I was also thinking of sticking with the cherrybomb glasspack only gettig a 2.25" one and have the exhaust set up profesionally. I kinda like the sound of mine, but it sounds like shyt up untill about 2k RPM. But im also thinking maybe this is just how the v6s are, or it could be the fact that my exhaust is set up soo crappy right now...

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
i had the flowmaster on my b2 w/ the 2.9 in it, and loved it.... great sound. deep loud truck sound... now w/ my 4.0 i took it off b/c it was quiter.... the 4.0 sounds more like a mustang than a truck really IMO...

prerunnerwannabe

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
In case you were still wondering..... The Flowsound muffler is the exact same thing as the Flowmaster 40. I put one on an F-150 once, and it sounded awesome. I am gonna put another one on the F-150 i have soon.:yahoo:

Z3CHYD

U.S. Military - Active
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3 front 5 rear
Tire Size
225/60R15

Ak_Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Something to remember, its a v6, it will NEVER sound like a v8. ALso Every one has thier own taste in sound and what sounds awsome to you may sound like crap to others. So I say keep listening to clips as well as taking advise, how ever If you can hear it first you will be better off if you can.

That said, I really like the sound of the Flowmasters on the 4.0L without cats, nice deep and fairly loud but not over powering. I had a buddy with a 2.9L with a Flowmaster 40 that sounded pretty darn good.

Again, I would take what ever advise you get with a grain of salt, because your taste in sound may be different then some who give you advise. Keep listening to clips and if you hear a truck around town that you like the sound of chase em down and ask them what they are using lol, most of the time who ever it is will be more then willing to brag about thier exhaust system and truck :D

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals