• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

My 31s are rubbing in the front when turning hard.

Angry Possum

No Fat Chicks, Truck Will Scrape
Supporting Member
Law Enforcement
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT SC
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
N/A
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
235 75 15
My credo
Sometimes you eat the bear, sometimes the bear eats you.

Angry Possum

Supporting Member
Law Enforcement
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT SC
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
N/A
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
235 75 15
My credo

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
Yes, it acts like a flap too.
Not a mudflap though 😋 semantics aside... if the liner is plastic, you could always hit it with a heat gun or (gently) with a torch and reshape it a bit so it doesn't rub. Are there "witness scuffs" on the liner at all from the tires rubbing it?

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
I would have, but some members said 31s were good to go on my Ranger. 🥴🫨🤪
I had to go back and look at your first post when you asked about tires. You wanted taller and wider that would fit your existing wheels. An equivalent tire to the size you installed was a factory option. A 31x10.50 is possibly the most popular tire used as replacements for gen 3 and 4 trucks. I know I've owned 7 of them over the years and all of them ran that size. I believe I even stated that some had a little rub at the extremes. I also saw that people made suggestions for a smaller tire... you took your money and made a choice. I don't remember anyone forcing you into the choice you made. We drive 4x4 trucks and we like a tire to compliment it.

Something else to consider... your front springs are 30 years old and surely worn. That is going to play into this equation too.

I know for myself and I'll speak for the others that suggested 31's... nobody was trying to steer you wrong.

Angry Possum

Supporting Member
Law Enforcement
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT SC
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
N/A
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
235 75 15
My credo
Not a mudflap though 😋 semantics aside... if the liner is plastic, you could always hit it with a heat gun or (gently) with a torch and reshape it a bit so it doesn't rub. Are there "witness scuffs" on the liner at all from the tires rubbing it?
I'll have to check for the witness scuffs. I could jack the truck up crank the wheel and hear where it's rubbing. It's just too cold out right now. Funny I don't think the passenger side rubs, I'll have to try it today sometime

Last edited:

Angry Possum

Supporting Member
Law Enforcement
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT SC
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
N/A
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
235 75 15
My credo
I had to go back and look at your first post when you asked about tires. You wanted taller and wider that would fit your existing wheels. An equivalent tire to the size you installed was a factory option. A 31x10.50 is possibly the most popular tire used as replacements for gen 3 and 4 trucks. I know I've owned 7 of them over the years and all of them ran that size. I believe I even stated that some had a little rub at the extremes. I also saw that people made suggestions for a smaller tire... you took your money and made a choice. I don't remember anyone forcing you into the choice you made. We drive 4x4 trucks and we like a tire to compliment it.

Something else to consider... your front springs are 30 years old and surely worn. That is going to play into this equation too.

I know for myself and I'll speak for the others that suggested 31's... nobody was trying to steer you wrong.
No worries, I'm loving these tires a real lot , and won't change them. I'll make the necessary adjustments, or just be careful making hard turns for now. The truck looks really badass with them on. So they will be lifers. It's all good. Again, I'll make the adjustments, these tires are surely keepers. I may consider changing the springs come early spring, good call. I can't wait for a good snow to try these tires out.

Last edited:

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
So, my 2000 (formerly 4.0, 4x4, currently 5.0 AWD) got 31x10.5-15 tires and Ranger rims on saggy suspension and really didn’t seem to rub. Or at least not in stock form. Since I lowered it and did some stuff, now I get rub at full lock (I haven’t really looked for where it’s rubbing yet), and I get rub cornering and stuff. The only solution to my problems is to put a smaller tire on. I’m not exactly sure why it’s rubbing suddenly on turns though, a casual inspection hasn’t revealed any witness rub marks other than my plastic fender liner, which says I need a smaller tire or a lift. Well, I wanted it lowered, so that’s a shorter tire.

So if you’re lowered and rubbing, the tire might be too big. Stock height it shouldn’t really rub. Lifted and it shouldn’t rub at all.

My Choptop rubs 35’s on the radius arms at full lock. I even tried to build the arms so they would be under the frame rail and theoretically out of the way, but nope. I did investigate that rub, steering stops are worn in it, I think if I build it up by about 1/16” it will resolve that.

Angry Possum

Supporting Member
Law Enforcement
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT SC
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
N/A
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
235 75 15
My credo
I found the rubbing area. It's on the inner liner only and it's very minimal of a rubbing judging by the area it's rubbing on. I can heat it up slightly and bend it in. It should definitely work. Thanks everyone. I'll let you know how it worked out.

Angry Possum

Supporting Member
Law Enforcement
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT SC
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
N/A
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
235 75 15
My credo
Interestingly enough, the passenger side doesn't rub, as the liner is up a little higher. So I'll advise on how it came out soon.

Angry Possum

Supporting Member
Law Enforcement
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT SC
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
N/A
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
235 75 15
My credo
So, my 2000 (formerly 4.0, 4x4, currently 5.0 AWD) got 31x10.5-15 tires and Ranger rims on saggy suspension and really didn’t seem to rub. Or at least not in stock form. Since I lowered it and did some stuff, now I get rub at full lock (I haven’t really looked for where it’s rubbing yet), and I get rub cornering and stuff. The only solution to my problems is to put a smaller tire on. I’m not exactly sure why it’s rubbing suddenly on turns though, a casual inspection hasn’t revealed any witness rub marks other than my plastic fender liner, which says I need a smaller tire or a lift. Well, I wanted it lowered, so that’s a shorter tire.

So if you’re lowered and rubbing, the tire might be too big. Stock height it shouldn’t really rub. Lifted and it shouldn’t rub at all.

My Choptop rubs 35’s on the radius arms at full lock. I even tried to build the arms so they would be under the frame rail and theoretically out of the way, but nope. I did investigate that rub, steering stops are worn in it, I think if I build it up by about 1/16” it will resolve that.
It will be just fine, once I do the slight modification.

James Morse

1997 XLT 4.0L 4x4 1999 Mazda B3000 2wd
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 and 1999
Make / Model
XLT 4x4 & B3000
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L in XLT, 3.0L in B3000
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31x10.5-15 K02's on the Ranger, 235/75R15 on Mazda
My credo
The perfect is the enemy of the good.
That's good. Something is definitely way diff on your truck compared to mine, I thought they were same gen but whole mud flaps is different, mine have metal hangers that actually hold the mud flaps.
I haven't noticed any rubbing on mine, but I have to say I haven't really tested it, although when I had to do a really tight K-turn offroad I don't recall hearing or feeling anything weird. You know, when you're going up and then you come around a corner and see something not passable or marginally passable and you're by yourself... and say f it, far enough for today.

I have the 2.5" blocks in the back (oem) maybe mine is a little higher who knows. I do know 265/70R15 were oem on mine so 31" is really the same within a few tenths of an inch. If your oem tire was 235 (sorry, I forget your oem size) then maybe the 31" just barely fit. But if you're getting them to work then it's all good.

Angry Possum

Supporting Member
Law Enforcement
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT SC
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
N/A
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
235 75 15
My credo
That's good. Something is definitely way diff on your truck compared to mine, I thought they were same gen but whole mud flaps is different, mine have metal hangers that actually hold the mud flaps.
I haven't noticed any rubbing on mine, but I have to say I haven't really tested it, although when I had to do a really tight K-turn offroad I don't recall hearing or feeling anything weird. You know, when you're going up and then you come around a corner and see something not passable or marginally passable and you're by yourself... and say f it, far enough for today.

I have the 2.5" blocks in the back (oem) maybe mine is a little higher who knows. I do know 265/70R15 were oem on mine so 31" is really the same within a few tenths of an inch. If your oem tire was 235 (sorry, I forget your oem size) then maybe the 31" just barely fit. But if you're getting them to work then it's all good.
Upon observation today I noticed that the drivers side wheel liner is down a little more than the passenger side liner. The passenger liner doesn't rub at all. I'm going to use a torch and melt the part that's rubbing in slightly, I really need only about 2 inches, and I could cut it out as well. However, I'd prefer to melt it and then tuck it in towards the engine so it clears. It should take me no more than a few minutes to do it. I'll give it a go tomrw.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
If you get some 1 1/4" washers (should have 1 3/8" ID, washer math doesn't make sense...) and put those under the coil spring isolator things that will give you a little lift and help out... there's room for about 1" of spacer in there but if you go there it will likely mess up your alignment some...

rumblecloud

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Splash
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1-1/2 inch front leveling
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
31/10.50/15
My credo
What's the worst that could happen?
I went to the doctor one time and I said "Doc, it hurts when I do this-- moved my arm sideways.
Doc said: "Don't do that."

jschner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
On my 94 Ext cab 4x4, stock suspension, I barely get a rub with Corsa 31x10.50 only on the drivers side on hard left turns. It might just be the nubs from on the new tire but you can see the small rub spot. Any worries or drive it like I stole it?

Attachments

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals