• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

My 88 BII Build!!

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
sweet.....thanks again

country0001

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Nice build. My 90 is an eddie bauer, and has the d28. I'm not looking at doing any heavy wheeling with it. Wanting to do a lift, just wondering how much time and money did u put into your lift?

Also, if you need some manual hubs for it, I have some extras.

88Bronco2EB

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Nice build. My 90 is an eddie bauer, and has the d28. I'm not looking at doing any heavy wheeling with it. Wanting to do a lift, just wondering how much time and money did u put into your lift?

Also, if you need some manual hubs for it, I have some extras.
Well the lift was about $530.00 but I also had to get extended brake lines, that coasted about an additional $200.00. I also replaced my cv shaft with a u joint style, witch is a must if you lift it more then 2". I used an explorer sport shaft that coast me about $30.00 at the local JY. Then I had it rebuilt and shortened for about $135.00. So total coast was about $895.00:icon_thumby:

88Bronco2EB

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
UPDATE for you guys:yahoo:

I finally took the bronco out for some fun and I have to say it didn't do to bad:headbang: My buddy and I went to a local mud whole down my the river. Nothing to major but it was a lot of fun!!!

My bronco and my buddy's Yukon

I also Have a Video I'm putting up of me hitting the small mud whole!! There was a bigger one about 2-3 foot deep, it was no problem for the Bronco!!:icon_hornsup:

88Bronco2EB

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Video of me hitting the smaller mud hole!!!:headbang::headbang:

I had a blast!!:yahoo:

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
nice, glad to hear it did well, cant wait to get mine lifted

88Bronco2EB

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
OK, I think the next major upgrade to the Bronco is going to be a transmission swap. I have the crap A4LD auto, that I think is starting to suffer after 120,000 miles, and I'm looking to swap in an M5OD-R1 Manual transmission!!! And also do the 4.0 clutch upgrade!

I went to the local JY and they have a few M5ODs from 4.0 explorers, and I think a few from 2.9 rangers. They want $200 regardless of whether or not I get it out of a 2.9 or a 4.0. I'm sure you guys are tired of people asking about this swap and what is needed to do it. I have read tons of threads and I think I have found all the parts that will work for this swap.

Here is a list of parts

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ZZZ-MU116-1/

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ZZZ-50-724/

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MCI-N3240/

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/DHB-CS37897/

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/DHB-CM350070/

My main question is, will all of these parts work for swapping in a 4.0 clutch into a 2.9 with an M50D-R1 Tranny??

Also will my T-case bolt to the back of the M5OD tranny? I'm not sure what it is, all I know right now is that it's an electric shit.

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
not sure about the 4.0 stuff, but i do know that i could bolt a 4.0 to the existing tranny in my b2, probably wouldnt last, but it would work

your t-case is a borg-warner 1350E (e is for electrical) even if it is still working, the shift motor will go out on it eventually, especially with increased usage and lots of dirt/mud getting on it. mine started acting up around 150k if i remember correctly. i got a manual 1350 from another trs member for $100 with the shift linkage. expect to pay $200-$250 at a JY (that's what i was quoted around here)

88Bronco2EB

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
The 4.0 stuff should work. there is a write up in the tech library about using a 4.0 clutch set up because it's more beefy. I'm not to worried about the T-case right know.

I also have been having a problem with my rear ABS light going on and off, now it's on all the time. I got under the truck tonight to check the VSS and this is what I found:shok:...

The VSS is cracked and there is something lodged in it!!!

And that something is a small chip from either the ring or pinion!!:shok::shok:
I hope that this does not become a major problem. I'm going to replace the VSS tmrw. I need this thing to pass safety so I can get the plates re-newd.

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
was the light on before the bigger tires and lift? after my buddy put 35's on his k5, he removed the rear diff cover to change the gear oil and there were a bunch of little pieces like that floating around. he'd been wheeling it for about 6 months after he decided to change the oil.

88Bronco2EB

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
was the light on before the bigger tires and lift? after my buddy put 35's on his k5, he removed the rear diff cover to change the gear oil and there were a bunch of little pieces like that floating around. he'd been wheeling it for about 6 months after he decided to change the oil.
Yeah, It would occasionally light on and off when ever I would put it in 4wheel before the lift and big tires, so I don't think that is a problem. I re-placed the VSS this morning and the rearABS light stays off now. I'm guessing it's been like that for a while. I'm not going to worry about it to much.

On a better note I picked up an M5OD 5speed trans today!!!:headbang::headbang: for $200.00 I'll clean it off later and post up some pics!

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Yeah, It would occasionally light on and off when ever I would put it in 4wheel before the lift and big tires, so I don't think that is a problem. I re-placed the VSS this morning and the rearABS light stays off now. I'm guessing it's been like that for a while. I'm not going to worry about it to much.

On a better note I picked up an M5OD 5speed trans today!!!:headbang::headbang: for $200.00 I'll clean it off later and post up some pics!
i agree, rock it until you can throw a disc 8.8 under there

88Bronco2EB

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
i agree, rock it until you can throw a disc 8.8 under there
Oh yeah:headbang:

Well here are some pics of the M5OD-R1 trans all de-greased and ready to be cracked open.

I've never tried to re-build or even work on a trans for that matter, so this is going to be a slow process. I'm going to have a friend help me tare is down and make sure it good to go in the bronco. Plus I still need to get everything for the 4.0 clutch upgrade, and that's like $500.00 in parts that I'll have to save up for.

88Bronco2EB

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Finally got a chance to take a look at the M5OD today. I just took the top cover off and checked all the gears for missing teeth. I have to say it looks pretty clean. All the gears are in good shape and the syncros look good to. I'm by no means a tranny expert, I just took a good look at everything. The only thing I can say that might need some attention is the front bearing on the input shaft. It seems a bit to wobbly. But other then that it looks great:icon_thumby:

I also noticed this tray. I'm not sure what it is, but it has some dirt and grime in it. Can you guys tell me what this is, and if I should be concerned about the dirt?

Shifter linkage looks good

Old and nasty slave out!

Any input or suggestions you guys have I will appreciate. Like I said I'm no tranny expert.

thanks

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
i have a question, the bottom piece sticking out in this pic goes to the speedometer cable, did you have to cut it to get it out? i've been trying to figure out how to get mine out, but it aint workin

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals