• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

My '90 Ranger project

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Could have swore I had a post for this thing but I guess not...

Got the thing in November of '99 when I was 17, was a stock grandpa mobile with a WOOD framed canopy that weighed like 200 pounds, it was all me and my brother could do in our teens (we both played football) to lift the dang thing... anyway, stock 5 speed 2.3L zero options with the much sought after 3.08:1 gear ratio out back... I have a pic somewhere but can't find it... a couple years later I was into the old FordRanger.com forums and happened upon a 3.73:1 rear axle for $15 so that was the first mod, then I put new leaf springs on it. Then a few years later I found a 4x4 4 cylinder chassis that had been rolled on craigslist for $350 so I did a body and engine swap, that was in '05 and I was still very green mechanically at that point but I managed...

Then in late '09 I had gathered parts to do a turbo swap, I was cocky and thought I could do it over the Thanksgiving break, well it got finished on new years :). Again, still green and learning but made things happen.

In '11 I had gathered some used lift parts and a D35 and explorer 8.8 and 5.13 gears and some used 35" tires and a friend offered his garage to do the work, over 2 weekends and some weeknights we got that accomplished, then on our wheeling trip I managed to roll it because the engine stalled at the worst time possible because I failed to ground the ignition module... about July I did the body work and got it to hold a windshield again and everything, pulled the roof skin and everything.

Oh, when we did the lift we rebuilt the transmission and put in a Centerforce clutch, we did all the things...

Ran like that for a while, eventually a rod nut had came loose at 5000rpm and broke an engine so I threw another together with spare parts I had around, that engine is still going, had some oil leaks from dumb things but that's mostly sorted...

I've done some tractor pulls with the thing, went fine on 31" tires but when I did it with 35" tires there was too much axle wrap and I managed to twist and bend the rear driveline, twist an axle tube, bend a leaf spring, break the rear bearing retainer notch in the transfer case and pierced the radiator with the fan... so that ended the tractor pulls for a while, eventually 4 years ago I made up a traction bar but haven't had the nerve to try it again...

Now it's under the knife again as I'm finally making extended radius arms and making a new transmission crossmember...

Since I didn't structure the text well to include pics I'll put them below in chronological order...

april2010 031.jpg

april2010 026.jpg

april2010 083.jpg

11232010 021.jpg

phone pics 001.jpg

Copy of Ranger 010.jpg

phone pics 020.jpg

phone pics 024.jpg

phone pics 027.jpg

Tractor Pull 016.jpg

20160117_191907.jpg

20170610_085224.jpg

20161119_153216.jpg

20200411_150944.jpg

I'm missing stuff along the way obviously since this saga is almost 25 years long...

Last edited:

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
What a trip! That truck does have some history, and it's great that it's still with you, and being reincarnated (again).

Thanks for the ride!

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
A couple more details, obviously by the traction bar pic it has disc brakes in the back, and the pic above that at the beach there's a dangler, that's the parking brake cable, I think it was still drum at that point as I never had a parking brake with the 8.8 and drum brakes for like 5 years... swapped to disc and finally hooked that up even though it's useless...

Thanks, it's had a fair amount of sitting time as I've been frustrated a time or two with it, now that the oil leaks are mostly taken care of I want the alignment to stay where I put it better so I can drive the dumb thing more... I miss it

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
A couple more details, obviously by the traction bar pic it has disc brakes in the back, and the pic above that at the beach there's a dangler, that's the parking brake cable, I think it was still drum at that point as I never had a parking brake with the 8.8 and drum brakes for like 5 years... swapped to disc and finally hooked that up even though it's useless...

Thanks, it's had a fair amount of sitting time as I've been frustrated a time or two with it, now that the oil leaks are mostly taken care of I want the alignment to stay where I put it better so I can drive the dumb thing more... I miss it
I remember talking to you on MSN messenger back in the day and always giving you shit about your 2.3:ROFLMAO:

You might be able to beat my 2.9 now...might.

Just messin....that truck came a long ass way.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
It sure has come a ways, quite the journey...

Sure were many a late night (at least on your end) on MSN even the old TRS chat nights... good times...

Would have done many things different now that I know what I know but no regerts, still not sure whether a 4L swap would have been better than the 2.3T but not many people have what I have and it's different... My plans for my '00 Explorer are way different than the normal...

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
It sure has come a ways, quite the journey...

Sure were many a late night (at least on your end) on MSN even the old TRS chat nights... good times...

Would have done many things different now that I know what I know but no regerts, still not sure whether a 4L swap would have been better than the 2.3T but not many people have what I have and it's different... My plans for my '00 Explorer are way different than the normal...
Eh its good to be different.

I miss those TRS chat nights. Shit was fun

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
Beautiful truck and cool seeing the chronological pics. And I thought I had my truck for a long time!

Looking forward to seeing the new radius arms and such

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
then.jpg

Here's the picture I have from back in the olden days...

Awesom-O

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Great to see guys still loving and owning their trucks for decades. A testament to these trucks.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
This is the current project and about where it sits since the end of last month working on making new radius arms and transmission crossmember. The weather turned and I switched to trying to tame the lawn some but over the next week I might make some progress hopefully at least next weekend...

20240428_164540.jpg
20240428_193644.jpg
20240429_201437.jpg

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals