• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

My 93 splash 4x4

CountryDriven

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Alright y'all, I installed my 07 mirrors on the ranger and the difference as stated before is awesome. They look better cosmetically and give me a much better range of sight. Now I did get the powered version and used heat shrinks to connect the original connectors to the new mirrors (the connectors on the 07 mirrors were completely different. After doing that the mirrors work great, much faster than the slash mirrors too. The only real issue I've had is the fact that previously there was rubber around the splash mirrors and now there is just the foam insert. Will water be able to get in or is this sufficient protection? Anyways, here are the pics.

Rangurr

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
They look great! I haven't had any problems with water getting into mine. I was a little concerned about this when I did the swap as well. If you do find water getting in, though, it will be a super easy fix.

CountryDriven

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Alright which would be better. A leveling kit or an 2'' body lift? To be honest I wont lift it anymore than that (at-least with my 235 Goodyears). I do plan on doing the 5.0 swap and supposedly the body lift helps with the swap but I have read elsewhere that its not beneficial at all. If it is a huge help I will definitely be doing the body lift instead, but if it makes no difference on the difficulty of the swap I will just do a leveling kit if that is the best between the two. BTW does this brush guard really fit my truck?

http://www.jcwhitney.com/modular-grille-and-brush-guards/p2009515.jcwx?filterid=c2174d658y1993g845u0j1

Im somewhat sertain this is the same grille on this guys splash

http://jrbenek.tripod.com/Splashman/maintruck.html

CountryDriven

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
After tons of research I'm considering the 4.0 swap vs. 5.0. Seems like a better way to go, definitely going to wait until my power-train blows up though.

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
5.0, hands down. I went from the 4.0 OHV to the 5.0 as well as a 4.0 SOHC to the 5.0, both swaps are well worth the time I spent. I do highly recommend getting a complete donor though. My first swap in the end cost me $150, only cause I didn't sell off parts. My second swap I made about $50 after it was all said and done...

SVT

Rangurr

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
After tons of research I'm considering the 4.0 swap vs. 5.0. Seems like a better way to go, definitely going to wait until my power-train blows up though.
Why not expedite the process?? Go play hard offroad until something gives :headbang: :3gears:

CountryDriven

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
5.0, hands down. I went from the 4.0 OHV to the 5.0 as well as a 4.0 SOHC to the 5.0, both swaps are well worth the time I spent. I do highly recommend getting a complete donor though. My first swap in the end cost me $150, only cause I didn't sell off parts. My second swap I made about $50 after it was all said and done...
Yea, I've read that a 1993 or so LTD or Crown Vi. 5.0 & auto tranny would be my best bet for the swap.

Why not expedite the process?? Go play hard offroad until something gives
Haha tbh I am going to try to see how many more miles I can go on my 3.0. I think it would be sweet to go like 300-400k on the stock 3.0!

CountryDriven

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I'm looking at buying these leveling coils for my truck:

http://www.roughcountry.com/ford-suspension-lift-kit-9264-6.html

Main reason is for the lift obviously, but the other reason is that I inspected the old coils and this is what I found:

Yea that is not good, I would not want to have one of those pop out while trailing. Anyways here is a list I've made of things I need to purchase to do the job. I will be doing a small overhaul of the front end (bushing replacement, paint, shock replacement, diff lube) at the same time also.

Here is my list so far:

R/C 1.5 coils

93 F150 shocks like used here:
http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-51584.html

Adjustable bushings (although I've heard good & bad things about these).

Tools (spring compresses, ratchets, ect.)

Stuff for front end overhaul (rustoleum, bushings, lube)

Please help guide me through this. What type ov bushings should I use? Is there a better and/or cheaper coil? Will this "4.0 only" coil fit? I've read several how-to's on radius bushing replacement, coil removal but still need these specific details. Thanks!

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
No special tools required to change the coil. Unbolt the caliper, sway bar, and shock, then bend the tab holding the coil in. You may need to put a little pressure on the beam with your foot, but the coil will fall out. Pull the radius arm nut off, then push the arm out of the bracket. Some have removed the rivets holding the bracket in and pulled the ra bracket out, and install bolts on reassembly, if your going to lift later this is a good idea...

SVT

CountryDriven

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Being a 3.0 will the lift be more like 2" with these coils?

CountryDriven

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Update: Changed 3 quarts of trans fluid and filter. So far 100 miles and smoother shifting. I used Valvoline Mecron 5 & a Power Torque Filter. Old fluid was actually not extremely dark, it still had a red tint to it. The fluid didn't smell burnt either. Pretty good for 215k miles on original trans! I do have one question though, my magnet didn't have a single shaving on it. Is this good or bad because I read shavings were normal.

Supplies used:

Trans Pan:

Next fluid& filter change I will definitely be adding a drain bolt to the bottom of the pan... this was the messiest fluid change I've done yet!

CountryDriven

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Alright guys here is my budget lift plan as of right now. I'm going to buy new coils(stock hd), 93 f150 shocks, and adjustable bushings from rock auto. I have already purchased 2in aluminum coil spacers that seem really well made. I'm planning on painting my frame&axles with rustoleum while I'm at it to keep the mud from rusting everything out. I will be able to get her aligned at auto-tech (I was in that class last year I can get one done for free). We have an alignment rack and computer so should be fine right? The main reason for this lift is because alot of my friends are into offroading. The splash does suprisingly well on the local small trails and actually does better than my friends 4cly jeep with 32s! But I'm certain that's because of his lack of experience with manual trannys (he just got the jeep). Anyways the trucks body is in really good shape & I want to keep it that way so this lift will definitely help in that aspect. Here's the parts from rock-auto:

-Coils: http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=201321&cc=1137912

-Adjustable bushings: http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=675146&cc=1137912

-F150 shocks: http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=388575&cc=1122084

CountryDriven

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Well I haven't done much because I've been doing a rustoleum paint job on my mothers 280z. Came out pretty nice for the 100$ invested.

Here is a picture of the 280z's paint job:

Anyways I did flush the radiator & change the fluid. The radiator was clogged with rust & gunk so I plan to be installing a 192 degree thermostat instead of my 180 asap because winter is almost here and it never gets past the C on the thermostat. I also did a oil change because it had been 3k miles. Hard to believe how much I've driven the thing. I dont pay for my own gas so I drive it as much as possible! I have had no luck in finding the dana 35 on craigslist, but by using the classifieds on here I have gotten a few leads. May have a dana 35 soon may not but ill make sure to post the installation of that here.

I purchased some headlight covers a while back so Im going to clean my headlights up and install those while Im putting the off-road lights on my truck. The lights Im using are the sets sold at HF. Going to buy 4.

Lights:
http://www.harborfreight.com/off-road-long-range-truck-light-system-3029.html

Should look pretty legit here is a pic of someone who installed these on therangerforum:

No guarantees but should happen soon.

CountryDriven

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Just a picture of the snow here in Texas, the truck drove through it with ease in 4wd:

kryptonitecb

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
What area are you in? I'm in Fort Worth

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals