• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

My 94 Sport SAS

P93suafilo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997, 89, 94
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Should be able to run JK takeoffs then though, should get a screaming deal on people who are going from 37s to 40s/tons.
I would but the thing that sucks about the Jks is they are 5x5 not the 5x5.5 like I need :/

P93suafilo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997, 89, 94
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Burned some metal today. Not pretty but being my first time I think they will do. The nice part is these welds are gonna be hidden 😂

Attachments

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
Welds look good champ. Whoever your teacher is did a good job 👍

ryan

Forum Administrator
Administrator
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
I would but the thing that sucks about the Jks is they are 5x5 not the 5x5.5 like I need :/
I totally misread your post, sorry! total brain fart. finding older ford stuff is getting rare

P93suafilo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997, 89, 94
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Made some real progress on the Explorer. So I picked up some wheels $50. He called them centerlines but after looking and some hunches from @BlackBII i found a Ford symbol on the inside of one of the wheels. They were in rough shape so I sand blasted them and decided to paint them. I wanted to paint them gold but my wife wanted black so we compromised and painted them black. Going to get the tires mounted tomorrow.

I also pressed on the new timken unit bearings and got the 9” put back together. So I decided to pull the trigger and started tearing the rear out. I got the 8.8 all the way out and hoping to get things cleaned up and mocked up tomorrow and Sunday. Goal is to get back rolling by Wednesday because I have some family coming into town.

I still need to figure out brakes for the rear. If anyone can share some pics how they extended their lines and hooked up their parking brakes that would be very helpful.

Attachments

P93suafilo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997, 89, 94
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
More rust than I wanted to see so I spent some time getting a wire wheel on everything I could then hit it with a rattle can, need to go over it once more. These leaf spring centering bolts are toast so I grabbed some 7/16 x 2” ones. The junk part is I got to open up the holes on the new perches and pads to accept the wider bolt heads now. ordered a reamer to help me with that, should be here Monday. Best part of yesterday was I finally invested into a shop vac, no more random dust getting tracked everywhere!!!!

Got the wheels and tires mounted. I think they turned out great for $300. $150 tires+$50 wheels+$20 paint+$20 blasting media+$60 mounting and balancing 👍🏽

Attachments

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
Looking good champ! That's some good progress. You can buy lengths of brake line with the fittings already on them, autozone has them and they're cheap and easily bent to work with your axle. For the leaf spring bolts, you could just grind the hex head down to fit in the hole, that's what I did on mine

dvdswan

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 2WD
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Keep your mind like an umbrella, it only works if its open... Continually learning.
Rims did come out really nice.

P93suafilo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997, 89, 94
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Looking good champ! That's some good progress. You can buy lengths of brake line with the fittings already on them, autozone has them and they're cheap and easily bent to work with your axle. For the leaf spring bolts, you could just grind the hex head down to fit in the hole, that's what I did on mine
I never thought about grinding them down. I might do that tomorrow. But I also bit the bullet and bought a 3/4” reamer which is on its way.

I know I can do that with the hard lines but do they do that as well for the rubber line?

P93suafilo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997, 89, 94
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Rims did come out really nice.
Thanks, they have their flaws when you’re up close but I really like how they turned out.

P93suafilo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997, 89, 94
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
So it’s been a minute since I have posted things family wise have been busy busy but finally jumping back to working on the explorer. Since April got the rear in place just need to run a brake hardline and figure the drive shaft and I will be good to go.

I got the front d35 out, 44 mocked up and coil buckets where I thing they are going to live. Just need to pick up some hardware for the trac bar and steering to check for clearances.

Attachments

P93suafilo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997, 89, 94
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
One question I do have for those who have done a swap is what do y’all do with the brake abs system? Do I need to remove the system in the pic and bypass it? Or leave it and run it like normal?

Attachments

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Oh man... raging boner right now reading your build thread. I have a 94 Sport that I will be putting the same axles in. Was planning on a 4 link and coilovers in the front though. Thanks for the motivation! :headbang:

I will be removing the ABS on mine. I guess you could leave it in place but there isn't really an easy way to add ABS sensors to your front axle and the rear doesn't have a tone ring... so it won't be functional anyway. I would just remove all that junk and run new brake lines.

P93suafilo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997, 89, 94
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Oh man... raging boner right now reading your build thread. I have a 94 Sport that I will be putting the same axles in. Was planning on a 4 link and coilovers in the front though. Thanks for the motivation! :headbang:

I will be removing the ABS on mine. I guess you could leave it in place but there isn't really an easy way to add ABS sensors to your front axle and the rear doesn't have a tone ring... so it won't be functional anyway. I would just remove all that junk and run new brake lines.
haha Love it. When are you starting on your swap?

I will plan on ripping it out then. I just didn't know if it would screw things up where I couldn't easily fix.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals