• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

My AR Build

WoodyB2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i agree, i like yalls....but i like the 12 inch look too, figured i'd try 12 first, then if i dont like it i can save up and get a nicer one in 15. if i like the 12, i can still save up and get a nicer 12. by the time i replace everything, i'll be able to build a second one lol.

btw, found a good deal on a BCG, $120 shipped. says it's mil-spec, staked gas key, etc.....has good reviews too. we'll see what happens. should have this thing about assembled in a week or two. just need a forward assist kit.

i took apart the lower again, gonna duracoat everything as soon as my stripped upper gets here.

120 for a BCG with the gas key staked is a good deal, yeah i am thinking about redoing the upper with a different receiver(one that i know who the manufacturer is) and a bull barrel.

You should look into brownells aluma-hyde 2, i used it on my lower and it applied really easily and has held up great, cure time is a lot longer but is cheaper and easier to apply.

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
i was torn between the barrel i bought and getting a bull barrel. the one i got is a thin sporter barrel i guess. my bolt action rifle is a remington 700P with a heavy barrel. i figured i'd try it this way first.....or i'll just build a second AR with a heavy barrel lol.

i looked at the alumnahyde the other day. $12.99 per can and ~$15 shipping....fawk that noise. i'd like to try it, but i've got black, green, tan and brown duracoat at the house already. that's 2 cases of beer....cant justify spending the money on that.

i've got a woodland green, so i'm gonna add some brown and/or tan to it and try to get it close to olive drab.

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
are those 20 round mags in the pic above? they look shorter to me, but it could be that they are standing upright

WoodyB2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yeah the shipping sucks on that, but i used maybe half a can for my lower, but if you have duracoat on had then why get something else.

Yeah in the black rifle is a pmag 20 rounder and i have a lancer 20 rounder in mine.

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
got a forward assist kit from a LGS today...now i just need everything to get here and i can start assembling.

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
decided to cancel the order for my charging handle and get a better one. got a BCM instead of the cheapie i ordered from amazon. this one has the large latch on it (i have big hands lol)

WoodyB2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
decided to cancel the order for my charging handle and get a better one. got a BCM instead of the cheapie i ordered from amazon. this one has the large latch on it (i have big hands lol)
I have the mod 4 charging handle on my ar. I love it, doesn't get in the way as I would have thought sticking out that far.

Sent from my HTC using Tapatalk 2

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
well this is the mod 3, i wanted a mod 4, but the gun store i went to only had the small and the large. it shouldnt get in the way too much.

WoodyB2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
well this is the mod 3, i wanted a mod 4, but the gun store i went to only had the small and the large. it shouldnt get in the way too much.
You should be fine, I love mine. When I swapped from the GI to the mod 4 it was night and day

Sent from my HTC using Tapatalk 2

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
i've only ever fingered a GI one when i've held them at gun stores, this one feels much better. cant wait to get it all together and try it.

just got word that my barrel and quad rail have shipped. my upper receiver is coming from south carolina....last time i ordered from them, shipping took 2 days once it actually left their facility. so hopefully i can get it together by the end of the week

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
well, may not be together by the end of the week. decided to cancel my order for my gas tube and gas block and ordered them from the same place i ordered the stripped upper. place is called palmetto state armory, if you've never seen their website, I suggest checking them out. they've always got good deals going. one right now is a LPK with a magpul pistol grip and ten 30 round pmags for $150!! that'd be a pretty good deal just for 10 pmags.

WoodyB2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yeah I me and my buddy both have used PSA and both had good experiences with them. I ordered most my stuff from Bravo Company, Midway USA, and Palmetto State Armory.

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
same here, midway is awesome. good prices and they ship fast. palmetto state armory is about 3.5 hours from me so shipping is usually 1 or 2 days.

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
BCG and barrel will be here tomorrow. rail is still a few days out. no word on the stripped upper shipping yet. ordered one of those rubber vise blocks yesterday too. that'll make putting the barrel in a lot easier.

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
edited the OP and put a price breakdown in......kinda scary. doesnt seem like i spent that much lol

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals