• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

My truck has gremlins. Their favorite food? Starters...

Daedalus

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Truck in question is a 92 Ranger XLT with a 2.3L and 5-speed. I bought my truck about 18 months ago. 6 months after I got it the starter it came with went out. I replaced it with one i bought off a guy doing a part out on a different ranger forum. The guy claimed it was only about 2 months old and judging by how clean it was when it arrived I'm inclined to believe him. That starter served me well for about another 6 months til it died.

When that starter went out I decided to go ahead and send it in to the ford dealership where my dad is the service manager to have it replaced. When it was at the dealership they put in a new (not re-manufactured) motorcraft starter. They also checked out the battery, cables, solenoid etc. This was about six months ago.

Well, I went out to go to work this morning and i got the familiar clicking solenoid indicating a dead starter. I took off the battery cables and they didn't look too bad (not shiny new but not really corroded). I cleaned up the clamps and battery terminals with some sandpaper till they were nice and shiny anyway just to be sure. Well, that didn't help. The battery is reading 12.7 and I'm showing zero resistance between the posts and clamps. When that didn't work i decided to try the old rap on the starter with a wrench while someone else tries to start it and on the second rap it fired up - indicating yet another bad starter. I called my dad and he ordered a replacement starter under the warranty for monday.

Any ideas why my ranger eats starters like this?

JC 97

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger xlt
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
4" suspension
Tire Size
31x10.5
That does seem abnormal.I had an old camaro that used to eat starters like that too.It had a big block 396 w/headers.I surmised that heat was killing the starter.I would have your dad ask a wrench to take the starter apart to find out what part failed and go from there.That very well might lead you in the right direction as to why they are failing.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
two wire starter?

Daedalus

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Its got three wires to the starter. The ground wire from the battery, the big positive wire and the little positive wire.

And heat might have something to do with it now that you mention it. I have the leaky ass shift rail plugs on the M5od so its chronically low on ATF. I'm sure that leads to a not insignificant amount of extra heat. I'll have him mention that to the tech that works on it.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
you have a two wire starter then, if the small wire is a blade type connector, upgrade to a later bolt on type when the time come...in any case make a new tight connection.

jumping good clean power to the small wire at the starter will likely start it.

igotit

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
my 87 ranger diesel eats a starter every 6-8 mths aswell.
but i have the 4d55 mitsubishi engine,i dont think its a ford starter coupled to a midsu engine.im thinking it a wire/ground problem in the fords.

just a thought.....have you installed a heat shield on the starter,on my 4d55 i believe the starter is very close to the exhaust manifold(havent worked on it in years....been parked for almost 4 years),excess heat will ruin a good expensive starter.
my starter is about $285 at the ford dealership.....thats not installed either.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals