• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Need a little help RE: axle upgrades

Toreadorranger

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I have yet to see a set of junkyard 60's built for less that $5,000. I'm not saying that it can't be done, but if so it is not counting the labor (i.e. you built them completely yourself).

hick
5k is alot less then the 4k and 6k each he was qouted. and he doenst need to go all out. A junkyard 60 with new bearings a seals with 35 spline outers and hubs. Then a rear 60 with 35 spline shafts and disks.

Toreadorranger

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Or even a Rear D70 and all he has to add is disk breaks as most Ford rear 70's are 35 spline already.

4.56-FX4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The hard part for me is that I live on Guam and there isn't an abundance of spare axles around here like there are in the States. I'm sure there might be one or two every now and then, but it's not like I can just get up one day, go down to the junkyard and pick from the selection.

mhughes165

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
im sure theres prolly some wrecked 80's f-350's in the junkyards by you, thye had 60 fronts adn 60 rears...well some had the sterling in the back but the sterling is still a strong rear aswell

4.56-FX4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Maybe.

What years exactly do I want to look for?

4.56-FX4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Ok, let's skip ahead a little.

After I decide on axles, find some, purchase them, etc., where do I get springs/shocks? What do I need to take into consideration when picking them?

What determines how high I lift the truck? Is that simply determined by the springs I get for it?

As I told you, I'm lost here really. I'm trying to learn as much as I can, but I've never done this before.

mhughes165

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
ideally, you going to want to canabalize as much of the truck as u can, and really any f-350 will work aslong as its disc brakes on the front. you will in many cases be able to run the springs from the donor truck if u are good at the fabrication work

Toreadorranger

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I think your best option as of right now is since you said a shop would be doing the work is to talk to them. Have them get a couple quotes together for different stuff like building axles and doing the SAS with coils vs leafs, ect. We can tell you all sorts of stuff but if your not doing the work your dependant on the shops skills and abilities.

4.56-FX4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I'm confident that the shop can do about whatever I ask them. You should see some of the stuff that comes outta that place. I'll see if I can get some pics to post up here.

As far as using the springs from the donor, wouldn't the springs from an F350 be WAY too stiff for a Ranger?

chico4554

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
if you are gonna have a shop do your sas, be prepared to pay for it. I would say run it the way you have it now. Try to do all you can yourself when you do a sas one day.

4.56-FX4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
What's a good estimate for the labor for an SAS?

A shop here quoted me $650 for labor if I supply all parts.

I just don't know what to expect once I get into it. If I had a list of parts that I need to buy that I could know before I go into it, then I'd probably be good, but I hate to think of getting balls deep into an SAS and having part after part come up that I "need".

hitech_hick

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
What's a good estimate for the labor for an SAS?

A shop here quoted me $650 for labor if I supply all parts.

I just don't know what to expect once I get into it. If I had a list of parts that I need to buy that I could know before I go into it, then I'd probably be good, but I hate to think of getting balls deep into an SAS and having part after part come up that I "need".
$650 for labor? Sounds cheap to me. That's only what, 10 hours? As for parts, depends on what you want to do for the suspension.

hick

4.56-FX4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
$650 for labor? Sounds cheap to me. That's only what, 10 hours? As for parts, depends on what you want to do for the suspension.

hick
I was thinkin' the same thing. I trust the work this shop does, though, so I think that'd be a good deal.

brizonco

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
if you are running up to 37's the dana 44 wont break unless you have lockers and a lead foot any bigger than that you are looking for trouble. i did an sas on my full size bronco a couple of years ago and ran it with 36''s for a long time and never broke a thing even with a locker. i then went up to 39.5s and got about 3 or 4 trips out of it untill i snaped the drivers inner and stub shaft. i have since then decided to put the dana 44 in my ranger and i just purchased a dana 60 out of a 91 f 350 for $700. as far as installing it i would save that $650 and buy some alloy shafts and install it your self. its really not that hard with the info on this and other sites.

heres a pic of my bronco

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

No members online now.

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals