• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Need help making a (good) choice b/w new and old Ranger

bayouranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Hey Guys, I've been looking at this site quite awhile trying to make up my mind on what truck would best suit my needs.

You can skip to the second-to-last paragraph since my intro is kinda long, lol

On one hand I "have" a 1987 Ranger XLT. This particular truck was purchased by my grandfather in 1987. It has 80K original, babied miles. It's a regular cab with long bed. He gave the truck to me when I first got my license, completely repainted and everything. At the time, I didn't really like the Ranger, being a 16 year old with a new license. I wanted something newer--particularly a Chevy. So I did the stupid thing and drove the Ranger for my Jr. year in high school, and got my parents to buy me something else for my senior year in high school. Dumbest mistake of my life!!!

My new vehicle (which will remain unnamed in this post,) gave me a slough of problems, but nothing involving the drivetrain, mostly electrical problems. Now, fast forward five years and I'm at a place where I can't make anymore excuses for not having a truck. Can't tow my little boat, my dirtbikes, quads, or anything with my "new car." So, I've been looking for another small-ish truck as my sole vehicle. I'm still finishing college and have to commute ~60 miles roundtrip a day.

I'm looking at the Ranger, because it served me VERY well before and it will do so again, I am sure of it.

This is the hard part. I could buy my 87 Ranger back from uncle--in unconfirmed shape. I haven't seen it in years, and it could well be in BADDD shape by now. I mean this truck was immaculate it looked EXACTLY like it came off the lot in 1987. It had the 2.9, which is prone to head damage, but other than that it was a beautiful and capable truck that got great gas mileage. But I'm not sure WHAT kind of condition it's in now. I'm looking to replace it with a no bullshit regular cab 2008 XL with the 2.3 and A5OD. It's plain. Period. Vinyl seats and floors, black bumpers, grills, etc. BUT, it does have a bedliner.

I mean it's what a truck should be. I'd even opt out of A/C (if I didn't live in South Louisiana) and a manual tranny if my gf could drive that. Which I guess I could teach her, but basically I just need help deciding. At least with the new truck I get a warranty and a tad bit better gas mileage, but I do have a soft spot for that Ole Ford....

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
Welcome aboard; it's good to have you here.

An '08 plain-jane 4-banger would make a great daily driver for you, and serve economically and reliably for years. If you went that route, why not also get the '87 back as a restoration project? It'd be a blast to have a new one AND a first generation Ranger too.

bayouranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Hey, thanks for the welcome. Actually the '87, if it's in the same shape as when I sold it (not likely,) is close to being restored already. I never really gave much thought for both of them. With the price of the Ranger I'm planning on buying, it's doable. I sold the truck to him for two thousand about 5 years back. I'm not sure if he paid it all back, probably not. I'll ask him if he's still using it, if not, I'll offer him a thousand for it. If it's in really bad shape now. I'll be :pissedoff: haha. I mean the truck had NO rust or dents, a fresh coat of black OEM paint, pin-striping decals found in an old NOS Ford parts store. I mean the truck was beautiful. I need to get some pics next time I visit my uncle!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals