• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Need help!! Stuck tranny!

kurama49

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Hi there!, im having a BIG problem with my tranny in my 87 ranger 4x4!, i need to fix this before i sell it if i want to get full price for it! The shifter is in neuteral but the tranny is in first. it will not let me pull the shifter towards my like to go to 1st or 2nd, wont go into 3rd or 4th, but will got up into 5th [which doesent really work.] and into reverse which doesent work at all, it acts like its in a really high gear? Someone please help me asap!! and how to fix!

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Pull the shifter out and take a look at the Teflon ball. Sometimes they break and cause all sorts of problems.

kurama49

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Nope its not that :(, it look perfect Anyother ideas?

feellnfroggy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Your tranny is fawked, plain and simple. I had the exact same problem with my 92 back in 2008. I posted on here for days and days chatting with these guys and there was no fix other than rebuilding it. Get on craigslist and start looking for a new one. THey are few and far between but can be found for less than 150.00

85460rbv

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Your centre bearing has seized. The small tray on the side of trans which feeds it has probably become clogged. I had this problem, trans is probably scrap.

feellnfroggy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
You know noone had that answer for me two years ago LOL. But that sounds about right, I downshifted to 1st and was coming to a stoplight, I ended up sideways at the white line totally befuddled. LOL By the way Im sure that cat dont belong there.

kurama49

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
hehe yea, My dog had the cat stuck there lol, anywho, i'll prolly be getting a fix to this problem friday :) , Getting a 92' exploder 3dr sport. plans are to swap the engine, running gear,tranny all that stuff into the ranger. but it to has one problem. the guy said there theres, a little black box next to the clutch pedal.. and the seal has gone which has made the clutch not work? :icon_confused: Ideas on how to fix this lol? but its a good price. $250, inspected, good frame, new tires, needs some body work. should i get it?

dv8tat2s

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ive been thriugh 3 of them. two did the same thing tranny guy said cost more to fix it than to buy a good used... I found them anywhere from 150 on craigslist to 700 at a junkyard.but urs is junk. the good thiung is that the core is worth a few bucks:thefinger:

MYLILRANGER

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
2.3L..Future Turbo
Transmission
Manual
My 92 ranger's tranny did exactly the same thing....ended up picking one up in craigslist for 100 bucks off a 1997 ranger that was wrecked....Works beautiful....

kurama49

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Tomoro the problem will be fixed hopefully ^^ i'm not getting the explorer... im getting not one.... not TWO .... BUT THREE ford rangers!! :yahoo: Gunna tear the tranny out of one of the parts trucks, and a few other odds and ends that it needs and try to get $1000 from it.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals