• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

need help with a couple questions

bcbud

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
hey guys well i just bought another ranger and im having a couple small problems... my truck is a 1987 ranger 2.9L 5 speed reg cab long box manual hubs manual transfer case. the problem i am having it it stalls out randomly and wont start for apox an hour.

i also want to know if a 94 ranger body will bolt onto a 87 frame.

thanks for everyones help in advance.

cheers Matt

alaskan155

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2002 2000
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
7.3l/4.0l
Transmission
Automatic
hey guys well i just bought another ranger and im having a couple small problems... my truck is a 1987 ranger 2.9L 5 speed reg cab long box manual hubs manual transfer case. the problem i am having it it stalls out randomly and wont start for apox an hour.

i also want to know if a 94 ranger body will bolt onto a 87 frame.

thanks for everyones help in advance.

cheers Matt
up to 97 ranger reg. cab will be direct bolt minus bumpers.

could be a starter going, be my guess, they act kinda wierd when they go, could also be anything from a inproperly tuned engine, to something in the clutch, does it crank after it stalls?

bcbud

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
im pritty sure it has nothing to do with the clutch or the starter. it stalls due to possibly to much fuel? not sure why. but the starter does not have anything to do with the running of the vehicle when its already running. and the clutch also has nothign to do with anything.

thanks tho

Redneckryder

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
ok---you need to tell people what it is doing and what you are doing at the time of the stall. 70 down the freeway and it stalling is way different than sittin at a red light and it stallin.

and yes, it could be the starter. do you lose all electrical??

alaskan155

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2002 2000
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
7.3l/4.0l
Transmission
Automatic
im pritty sure it has nothing to do with the clutch or the starter. it stalls due to possibly to much fuel? not sure why. but the starter does not have anything to do with the running of the vehicle when its already running. and the clutch also has nothign to do with anything.

thanks tho
to much fuel could be causes by a fault fuel pressure regulator, is it throwing any codes back? and yes, i could be starter related, you know the all the power from the battery first passes through the starter relay, and you never stated it still cranks after it wont start after an hour

Last edited:

snake

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I'm thinking the starter is working properly and it will crank but not start? Try the fuel pump relay. Common problem and all the symptoms are there.

mhughes165

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
+2, could also be the ECM relay, buddys did the same thing and that was what it was

odie1969

Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0l sohc
Transmission
Automatic
lets try the basics when it stalls and wont start. Do you have spark? what is the fuel pessure? and so if you have fuel and spark then it air or your timing is off. I would guess something to do the spark/timing.

bcbud

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
ok so the problem right now is it starts cold but 5 minutes after starting it it stalls and does not start till its cold again. it will not run anytime only for 5 minutes or so when its cold. motor is a 2.9l fuel injected . the truck has 2 gas tanks.

i need the truck to run by monday morning any help would help out alot thank you

bcbud

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
the truck has spark all the time. but when i press on the fuel presser fitting not much gas comes out.

kunar

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.8l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
the truck has spark all the time. but when i press on the fuel presser fitting not much gas comes out.
get a gauge and check fuel pressure. it should be a decent spray when you push the button on the valve, but you cant really tell for sure without a gauge. your truck has 2 tanks, but only one high pressure pump. i am assuming it doesnt make any difference weather you are using the first or the second tank?

bcbud

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
get a gauge and check fuel pressure. it should be a decent spray when you push the button on the valve, but you cant really tell for sure without a gauge. your truck has 2 tanks, but only one high pressure pump. i am assuming it doesnt make any difference weather you are using the first or the second tank?
i dont honistly know i cant hear a fuel pump running... im just not sure i pressed the button on the valve and pritty much no gas came out what so ever

BLOODBANE

V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORDFORD
Engine Size
347, 4.oh
Transmission
Automatic
I don't remember what its called, but there is a gray box on the distributer that gave some of those years fits. It would heat up and kill the engine and it wouldn't start for, like you say, about an hour. I had to replace the unit on my 84 a few times before I did my swap.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals