• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Need Help

BowTech99

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1999 and 1998
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Turbo 2.5L and 3.0L
Transmission
Manual
Hi guys im new to TRS. I actually joined just for ya'lls help on a SAS. I have a 99 Ranger 2WD. I am wanting to convert it to 4 wheel dig. I use my truck for hunting and Tearin the mud holes up!! It only has a 2.5, 4banger, so i def gotta get some LOW gears. I have the 8.8 rear with stock gearin runnin 33's. Its got 3 inch body(which i installed) and 3inch lift coils(also installed):headbang: I'd like to run 36's but i will settle with 33's for the time bein. I can easily get numerous parts for cherokees(XJ). So i have been planning on using D30 front end, but i thought about usin the rearend too? i dont know how useful that would be. By the way, I do want to use leaf springs. SO with all that said, What tranny, TF case setup should i go with?? and cutting and welding is no prob:icon_welder: So please guys, Any Advice:icon_confused:

BowTech99

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1999 and 1998
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Turbo 2.5L and 3.0L
Transmission
Manual
also i need some ideas on how to setup my steering and what parts im gonna need. my budget is 2000$ if yall need more info just let me know

samsonitesamsonite

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Jeep
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
First, even if you had the 7.5" rear, its still stronger that the stock Dana 35 in a Jeep, trust me they are a piece of crap.Jeep guys with the d35 rear swap over to the 8.8 because of its superior stregnth, so stick with what you have there. Trans t-case is going to depend on whether or not you want to stick with a manual or go to an auto. There is plenty of this info on this site, just try a search... if you are planning on running 36's with that motor you will need some serious gearing... especially if its going to be an onroad driver....

And why do you want to use leaf springs? I know they are a little easier with the initial install, but you have so many more options with coils.

Last edited:

fordboi415

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
3.0V6
Transmission
Manual
If I were you I would just go buy a 4x4 ranger with 4.0, cuz your gunna spend a shit load of money converting your 2wd and your motor will still be gutless as all hell

JohnnyU

"Outlaw"
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevrolet
Engine Size
Ls2
Transmission
Automatic
If I were you I would just go buy a 4x4 ranger with 4.0, cuz your gunna spend a shit load of money converting your 2wd and your motor will still be gutless as all hell
It's really not much different when we're talking about a solid axle swap. The main cost issue here will be the need for a 4wd transmission and a transfercase.

I had a 2.3L with a 6" lift and ran 36" TSL/SX for several years. It wasn't by any means a powerhouse, but I could rail on that thing all day long without worrying about breaking parts. Similar rigs on the same trails even with just v6's couldn't even say that. I think with some 5.13's you'd be surprised by that little engine.

Kdawg532

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 V6 God's gift to man
Transmission
Manual
It's really not much different when we're talking about a solid axle swap. The main cost issue here will be the need for a 4wd transmission and a transfercase.

I had a 2.3L with a 6" lift and ran 36" TSL/SX for several years. It wasn't by any means a powerhouse, but I could rail on that thing all day long without worrying about breaking parts. Similar rigs on the same trails even with just v6's couldn't even say that. I think with some 5.13's you'd be surprised by that little engine.
+1, my little 2.5 5spd man. before it got totalled i ran 33's with a 2"body and a 2"suspension lift, it did quite well for haveing a swapped in 8.8 and 4.10L/S.

BowTech99

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1999 and 1998
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Turbo 2.5L and 3.0L
Transmission
Manual
Well there's a truck in my town for sale, its a 79 F-150, stepside, it has a built 390ci, C6 tranny sittin on 39.5 swampers. The man wants 2500$ for the truck so i'm still tryin to decide wether to SAS my truck or just go buy the 79 and raise hell in it. :icon_hornsup: so this is a opinionated question, what would yall do? i like my ranger especially with 20mpg. im only expectin the 79 to get maybe 5mpg. So i def need some advice:dntknw:

JohnnyU

"Outlaw"
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevrolet
Engine Size
Ls2
Transmission
Automatic
DD the Ranger and buy the F-150 (which hopefully has upgraded axles) as a toy. That's what I would do...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals