• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Need opinons on the D44

sasdranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
So the ranger is on hold for now until I get my new DD/tow rig, but in the mean time I'm gonna keep buying stuff and looking around.

My current dilemma has to do with building the D44 or getting a D60...

I'm gonna go full hydro, but idk if i should keep the D44 and buy knuckles and HS arms to put the full hydro to that, or get a D60 and do it to that axle..

I won't be going above a 35 for a while, maybe 36s.. I have no plans to get rid of the 4.0, but i do plan on a doubler setup at some point.

Chromo/alloy shafts with some CTM joints should make the D44 hold up pretty good right? I really don't see the point in spending the money on a 60 if the D44 will work.

On the other hand a stock 60 would be pretty strong as is..

The D44 is already geared, spooled and under the truck.. the D60 would be like starting all over again, and I dont have the tools to do that..

can i get some ideas?

86ford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0, abused and misunderstood
Transmission
Manual
it is heavily dependent on how you wheel. if you know your limits and dont go for broke you will be fine. just make your ranger as light as possible, weight indirectly breaks parts. if you need to upgrade to a d60 you will know it because you will be spitting shafts every time out, turning hubs into grenades, crack a carrier, eat a ring gear etc. if it is holding up to your style of wheeling now it should be fine. i know of people who run a built d44 with 39.5 tires that have no fear of breaking parts. i dont know of anyone spitting a shaft so far. one of them spit a 9inch shaft.

1badexplorer

Firefighter
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0, 501, 7.3psd, 351c, 351w
Transmission
Manual
If it was me I'd get a 60, cause stock 60 shafts and parts will hold up 44s as long you don't drive to rough. Mines been hanging in for over 2 years just fine. If you build the 44 with shafts and joints etc you will have probally $600 in it and could probally buy a 60 for just a little more (i got 1 in the parts section for $750). Cause eventually you are still gonna eust the 44 after spending all that money on it or you are gonna want to move up to a bigger tire and can't without upgrading. If it was me I'd get the biggest axles you can afford and put them under the truck cause you can always upgrade shafts and joints later when or if they break. I'm a big fan of the 60 front I got 3 trucks with them and have never had a problem with any of them and I have broken over a dozen dana 44 fronts before upgrading to my 60s

sasdranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
it is heavily dependent on how you wheel. if you know your limits and dont go for broke you will be fine. just make your ranger as light as possible, weight indirectly breaks parts. if you need to upgrade to a d60 you will know it because you will be spitting shafts every time out, turning hubs into grenades, crack a carrier, eat a ring gear etc. if it is holding up to your style of wheeling now it should be fine. i know of people who run a built d44 with 39.5 tires that have no fear of breaking parts. i dont know of anyone spitting a shaft so far. one of them spit a 9inch shaft.

wellll
a long long time ago, i was a gentle wheeler, then when i only had 2wd i was pretty hard on stuff, i haven't got a chance to wheel since i did the straight axle.. but i would imagine i'll be kinda nice?

I don't like not making an obsticle though, and tend to try and try until i make it, so that may screw me..

sasdranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If it was me I'd get a 60, cause stock 60 shafts and parts will hold up 44s as long you don't drive to rough. Mines been hanging in for over 2 years just fine. If you build the 44 with shafts and joints etc you will have probally $600 in it and could probally buy a 60 for just a little more (i got 1 in the parts section for $750). Cause eventually you are still gonna eust the 44 after spending all that money on it or you are gonna want to move up to a bigger tire and can't without upgrading. If it was me I'd get the biggest axles you can afford and put them under the truck cause you can always upgrade shafts and joints later when or if they break. I'm a big fan of the 60 front I got 3 trucks with them and have never had a problem with any of them and I have broken over a dozen dana 44 fronts before upgrading to my 60s
thats my issue, if i take the plunge and upgrade the D44 I'm gonna want to keep it and make it live, but then I'm plagued with the weak ball joints and ring gear still..

w/e, like i said, its on hold.. and once i get my new DD the ranger can go under the knife..

I don't plan on being able to wheel it until next year at a minimum anyways.. gah, king pin 60s go for a grand+ all day around here.

guess I'm returning the ballistic high steer arm i just got lol

Last edited:

1badexplorer

Firefighter
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
gah, king pin 60s go for a grand+ all day around here.
Yea like I said if you want to swap a 60 I got a high pinion kingpin one I'll sale for $750 complete

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
I would go D60 just because I don't think a 44 would like full hydro steering pushing & yanking on it too well. Your saying you'll keep trying something until you make it also might not bode well.

Depending on how you got it setup now, slinging the 60 under there shouldn't entail much more work.

86ford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
wellll
a long long time ago, i was a gentle wheeler, then when i only had 2wd i was pretty hard on stuff, i haven't got a chance to wheel since i did the straight axle.. but i would imagine i'll be kinda nice?

I don't like not making an obsticle though, and tend to try and try until i make it, so that may screw me..
get a 60. if you stand on the gas with little concern about broken parts or bad noises that d44 wont hold up much past 35s without some serious upgrading.

sasdranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yea like I said if you want to swap a 60 I got a high pinion kingpin one I'll sale for $750 complete
well if you still have it in like August I'll let ya know :icon_twisted:

i need to get some money saved up for a down payment.. Lookin for an 03 Quad cab 2500 with a HO 5.9 and 6 speed :headbang:

I would go D60 just because I don't think a 44 would like full hydro steering pushing & yanking on it too well. Your saying you'll keep trying something until you make it also might not bode well.

Depending on how you got it setup now, slinging the 60 under there shouldn't entail much more work.
yea, i thought about that after i posted lol.. Its jut leaves right now so it shouldn't be hard at all.

My plan was to get Reid knuckles either way..

get a 60. if you stand on the gas with little concern about broken parts or bad noises that d44 wont hold up much past 35s without some serious upgrading.

like you said, i see guys with 38s, 39s ect on a D44, but its all how you wheel.. Especially since i'll be trailering it now and not driving to the trail i'll probably be harder on it.

Last edited:

1badexplorer

Firefighter
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
with a 60 you won't have to buy knucle just high steer arms they should be much cheaper.

86ford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
like you said, i see guys with 38s, 39s ect on a D44, but its all how you wheel.. Especially since i'll be trailering it now and not driving to the trail i'll probably be harder on it.
if you dont plan on building your d44 to the max plan on breaking parts if you beat on it and have it locked. you can mall crawl 44s on a d44 but better not lock it or ever wheel it.

sasdranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
with a 60 you won't have to buy knucle just high steer arms they should be much cheaper.
i know, but eventually I'll get some Reid knuckles, i would rather spend more money than have it break when I really don't need it breaking.. I know a few guys here who have cracks on their stock knuckles, another guy went straight to Reids because he had "heard of/seen too many stock knuckles break with high steer and full hydo."

It'll be a while until i get a 60, and even longer before i can afford a full setup..

if you dont plan on building your d44 to the max plan on breaking parts if you beat on it and have it locked. you can mall crawl 44s on a d44 but better not lock it or ever wheel it.

where does a spool fit in there? :bawling: lol
I know the axle is doomed the first time i go out.. haha

any ideas what i should be able to get for the axle as a whole? Yukon 5.13s, yukon master install/overhaul kit, full spool, MM hubs.. new wheel bearings etc..

Last edited:

86ford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
if the axles condition is PERFECT i would be willing to pay 400-600 depending on how badly i needed it.

run it til it is falling apart and sell whats left and dont spend any more un needed cash on it. just plan on a d60 and hydro steering next year. start gathering the parts now and get to building. i know i am going to start puking parts here soon on my d35 after it gets welded so i hope to have a d60 by mid to late summer and get started building it for a swap some time next year.

sasdranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I'm in no rush to wheel.. at this point i just want a new daily driver, the ranger will get done when it gets done, hell a lot of my friends don't have tow rigs, so i could tow their rigs out there in exchange for splitting fuel and a seat in the rig to go wheelin ;)

its gonna need a clutch pretty soon, the 9" still needs to get geared and locked/spooled, i need a front drive shaft etc..

I just wont wheel the D44, I'm gonna put a TRE on the pitman arm and get rid of the heim there, and thats about where the modding will end..

getting the D60 under the truck should take no longer than a day, especially if the ram is already on it, and the rest of the steering is setup..

1badexplorer

Firefighter
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yea it only took me about 2hrs to swap a leaf spring 60 under an originally coil spring Early Bronco. Then I just did my hydro steer and shock brackets etc last so I knew it would all clear the springs. After I save up some cash I plan to do a double ended ram and high steer but for now it's just stock tierod and single hydro ram

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals