• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

need some advice

statley chubs

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Ok i just orderd all new parts for the front of my truck. New fenders bumper grill head lights blinkers the works due to some damge the old ones had aquired. they are black primered and ready for paint the trucks base color is dark green. But the rear wheel well on the driver side of the bed has begun to rust out. what do you guys think of going with a steel flat bed and im thinking of doin a raddle can cammo job on it. The truck is not my daily driver any more and is used just for bringin home fire wood and trail riding with a hand full of 4x4 required snow days a year. Not sure about camo job yet but thinkin a flat bed would be cool. If anyone has some advice I would like to hear it and I would LOVE to see some pics of ur similar projects and trucks. thank yall

doorgunner

Lab Rat for V.A. hospital
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
2009 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
New Orleans (8' below sea level & sinking)
Vehicle Year
1934/1989
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
350+1
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
N/A
Total Drop
3/4
Tire Size
23570R15
My credo
JESUS Loves Ya!
Not a daily driver any more....do what makes you happy...flatbeds are easy to load/unload...just get a few tiedown straps cause they tend to "unload" themselves in steep terrain :icon_rofl:

statley chubs

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
thats what im thinking. but i dont want it to look stupid either I plan to keep the truck till the day I die (always kind of assumed i would die in it lol) was hopein for some pics of other rigs and some advice on what to look out for as i have never done a flatbed before.

doorgunner

Lab Rat for V.A. hospital
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
2009 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
New Orleans (8' below sea level & sinking)
Vehicle Year
1934/1989
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
350+1
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
N/A
Total Drop
3/4
Tire Size
23570R15
My credo
JESUS Loves Ya!
thats what im thinking. but i dont want it to look stupid either I plan to keep the truck till the day I die (always kind of assumed i would die in it lol) was hopein for some pics of other rigs and some advice on what to look out for as i have never done a flatbed before.
here's some rookie advise....decide if you want the bed to cover the rear wheels or not(depending on how high you want to sling mud-LOL....metal brackets need to be made thatkeep the flat bed level with the frame-humps over the rear wheels...use 1/8 inch thick or thicker square tubing for the frame that will be bolted or welded to the brackets....space tubing within the frame about 16" apart for more support...use either steel plate--or aluminum plate--or 2" thick exterior deck boards to cover the frame(soak the boards with linseed oil or cheep motor oil so it will last)....Optional--add brackets to the outside edges of the frame in case you want to be able to put a removeable "fence" on the flatbed when needed...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals