• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

need some advice...

liftedredranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
im thinking about doing a v8 swap in my 1990 ranger, i can get this motor 5sp trans and tcase out of my buddys f150 that he rolled over, but i went under the libary and the one forum said that the 5.0 harness will plug into the 2.9 harness is this right or wrong..... need some advice please thanks

Teddyzee

December 2011 STOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L HO, GT40 heads, GT40 intake, 65mm TB, 1.7rr, Tri-Y headers, dual 2.5" exhaust, Flowmaster muffl
Transmission
Manual
I've seen some threads about that. But it's not really a concern if you can get an EVTM for each vehicle, you rewire it pretty easily. You will be dealing typically ONLY with the engine harness, so once you figure out where the Fseries engine harness plug circuits are going, and where the Ranger harness plug is going, it's fairly simple.
like every build, I recommend the Harwood manual, as it makes identifying the Ranger circiuts simple.

Last edited:

liftedredranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
o ok so the 5.0 harness with plug into the ranger harness and work it turn over, headlights, all the little things. if so all i need would be a set of motor mounts bolt the motor in and plug the stuff in and it should work..

Teddyzee

V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L HO, GT40 heads, GT40 intake, 65mm TB, 1.7rr, Tri-Y headers, dual 2.5" exhaust, Flowmaster muffl
Transmission
Manual
In most cases, the engine harness is seperate from everything else.
In my truck, nothing esle was in the engine harnes, no lighting, not the charging system, nothing.

Stare at some wiring diagrams long enough, it will make sense.

88302Camotruck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88 Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
IIRC on my swap, the plugs you want are mostly on the Dr side. I have a ton of diaghrams for the swap. I can tell you what wire needs to go where if you have the colors. I was not able to plug and play the connecters from an 88 Ranger V-6 and an 88 Crown Vic. I spliced in maybe 10 wires to get it to run. I did not use the clutch pedal wires or reverse lights and I had to run a wire direct to the fuel pump bypassing the roll over switch. All the a/c wires plug in direct.... I took the entire donor car harness witht the engine. This way I had all the engine emissions. Thats why mine was easy, not piecing 2 harnesses together. Only down side is I have my ECM in a water tight box under the hood. 3 yrs later and only had to replace the ICM plug connecter!
Steve

liftedredranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
damn ok well that sound like aolt of work.

liftedredranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
ok well can some one give me some diagrams of a 1994-95 f150 engine harness and 1990 ranger harness.. .thanks

Teddyzee

V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

1mean02hd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L V8
Transmission
Manual
I'm regular over on RPS so don't let the low post count fool ya, I'm not a noob to this game. But, the 2.9L wiring harness will work with the V8. Two more injector plugs will need spliced in. The 2.9L and the F150 V8s are batch fire injection systems (means that all the injectors fire at the same time). A guy over on RPS (don't know if he's on here) used the 2.9L harness for his original 5.0L swap and an 88 F150 ECM. He told me that the 2.9L and the 88 5.0L ECMs were pinned the same, so it was a direct bolt in. (Actually, you could probably use the 2.9L ECM in a pinch, but the fuel injector driver is probably fatter in the F150 ECM.) Might want to check into that. Could save you alot of time and hassle. Might even be able to swap a few pins around and be set.

liftedredranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
ok but how do you just spliced in two more injectors and also he used a 88 5.0 im using a 95 5.0 and ecm... see im ? i heard like 3 different things now. i heard you use the 2.9 harness but you use the 5.0 engine harness to start and run the motor, now i also heard you need to take the whole 2.9 shit out and swap 5.0 wire harness in. and now the 2.9 will run the 5.0 i just need one soild answer from some one has done this before thanks..

Last edited:

Teddyzee

V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
MeanHD is discussing one method of doing things, using an f150 ecu.

This aparently works, I've heard it mentioned a couple of times.

This is because, as mentioned, the 2.9 and truck 5.0 are 'batch fire'.

Method #2:
If you want to splice the new harness into your Ranger harness, I recommend buying an EVTM (ebay) for your year Ranger, and the year of your donor, to figure out the wiring. This is the method I would take.

EDIT: nevermind, I'vealready said that 3 times....

liftedredranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
ok thanks ill do some shopping

1mean02hd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L V8
Transmission
Manual
If you look closely at your original wiring harness at the injector plugs, the colors of the wires coming from out of the plugs are all the same. One wire is your positive side and the other is your negative. So wiring in 2 more plugs is easy. Another thing is that most F150s are batch fire injection systems as opposed to a sequential fire system like the Mustangs use. Batch-fire means that all the injectors fire at the same time. Sequential fire means that each injector fires individually in accordance to the firing order. So, in order to use the motor from your buddy's F150 you would have to change the firing order on the distributor cap for it to run correctly with the Mustang harness and ECM. I can't recall what year Ford changed the Rangers over to mass air, but if your Ranger is and so is the F150, like I said before, you will be able to use the ECM from the F150 and might be able to bolt it right on. Worse case scenario you move a few pins around. So my advice to you is to go to the Ford dealer and see if you can't get a copy of the EVTMs for both trucks or at least a pin out diagram for the ECM connectors and compare them.

Last edited:

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals