• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

New and Old Body Swap

detherth

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
I love the look of the old 1983-1988 rangers, but want the newer engine/transmission... Axles everything. i was wondering if it's possible to swap and 80's body with like a 95 frame and components ? Will it bolt up the same?

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
I'm in the process of doing an 88 body onto a 96 frame.

I know for sure that the body mounts are in the same place and the 93-97 Rangers are very similar to previous years in many ways. The 96 body is a bit wider.

I'm thinking/hoping I can use the older steering box (manual) but all I know is the bolts that hold that one are "close" and may be exact...won't find out until I actually pull the cab.

I mounted a box from a 92 Ranger on the 96 frame already and it fit perfectly...as long as you are using the same dimensions (6ft as opposed to short or longer).

Only problem I've seen so far that causes me some concern is the firewall opening for the wiring harness...but even that is doable and will know how much I have to cut to get it inside...

Then there is the dash...I'm pretty sure I can splice in the wires to make the steering column work but it is a lot of work...the other option is to simply keep the power steering and use the 96 steering column...but I have a bit of measuring

I've seen a few 2nd gen dashes going into first gen Rangers (second gen is 89-92) and I almost did that...except for the fact that the side air vents for defogging the side widows were dummies on the 92 I acquired and the 96 actually has proper venting for that purpose...so I may have to actually swap in the dash from the 96 to make the steering column and vents work...but I really want to keep the older heater box cable controls...

So...lol...in a nutshell...it can be done...just finding and defeating those little problems as they come up.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
To be perfectly honest, I think it is easier to keep the gen1 body and frame and put the later components in it.

My body and frame are original 87, the rest of the truck more closely resembles a 94 or 95, depending on which part you are looking at.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Are we talking about 2wd or 4wd?

To be perfectly honest, I think it is easier to keep the gen1 body and frame and put the later components in it.
Agree with ADSM on this one. Frame and suspension is mostly the same except for frame horns, if you wanted to keep a stock bumper they would need to be cut off the earlier frame and welded onto the later one. Much easier to drop the drive train and axles you want onto the early frame.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
I've been looking at the front bumper also and it is doable with the 92 bumper and the 96 frame without cutting...the 88 frame would have to be cut or trimmed as mentioned above.

Problem with my 88 frame is that it is rusting around the spring mounts and other places...so my $1000 sand blast and primer that I had done 10 years ago didn't cover it like I thought it would/should...so before even considering building any kind of build the frame would require some serious inspection and prepping...I've been doing that on the 96 but still have a ways to go...

Not sure if the OP is prepared to go that route but that is the only way to go if you don't want to be battling rust.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Mark I don't think either of us were telling you that you were doing it wrong. You are doing what works best for you. We are just suggesting to the OP that keeping the older frame and swapping components would be easier.

The 92 bumper will still require cutting it'll just be on the fenders instead of the frame.

It's the north east US, I suspect that he'll be battling about the same rust situation either way.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Mark I don't think either of us were telling you that you were doing it wrong. You are doing what works best for you. We are just suggesting to the OP that keeping the older frame and swapping components would be easier.

The 92 bumper will still require cutting it'll just be on the fenders instead of the frame.

It's the north east US, I suspect that he'll be battling about the same rust situation either way.
Oh, gee, I didn't take it that way...lol...I know you were advising the OP and not me...necessarily...and you both made valid points...

I was just mentioning the rust because that's partially what prompted me to go with the 96 frame in the first place...

The bumper is pretty close on the 92 and I didn't see where my application would require cutting because I'm going with a 92 front end anyway...an 88 cab definitely would require some trimming somewhere though.

detherth

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for all the information. Not sure whether i want to take the old or newer frame. I guess it will all depend on the condition of the two. I currently have an 86' 4x4 and its been up here in NY for a couple years,so its got some rust. And I cant stand it, so ill definitely be trying to get the cleanest truck i can find, and go down south to buy one. As for the dash i might just use the newer one.
Anyway Thanks again for the help and if you have any other info feel free to post again and let me know what you find.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals