• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

new dual core radiator????

danger132ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford Ranger
Engine Size
4.oL
Transmission
Automatic
so i put a new dual core radiator in my 96 4.0l ranger and its been running just above the cold line all the time. I have noticed my mpg has dropped would it be possible the computer is trying to warm it up all the time now?
when i bought it, it was always sitting dead center of the gauge with the stock on.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
A larger rad can help prevent overheating on hot days or when pulling heavy loads.

The thermostat is what sets the minimum operating temperature.
Ford's usually use a 192-195deg t-stat

So t-stat remains closed until engine coolant reaches 192deg at the t-stat, then it starts to open and circulate coolant through the rad, it will usually close again as coolant temp drops below 192, then open again until it finds a stable temp around 200deg.

Running engine below 190deg causes more fuel to be used, it gives you more power but power = more fuel.
Many run 160deg t-stats for this reason, to get more power, but if fuel economy is what you are after then get a 192deg t-stat.

Best fuel economy and oil lubrication is when engine coolant is between 200-220deg, oil viscosity is measured at 212deg.

It reads like you either have a 160deg t-stat or the t-stat is stuck open.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals