• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

New guy, need some wiring/engine help.

Demi_II

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Hey guys. I've got a 87 BII 4x4 manual trans, and I have been trying to restore this thing to its former glory. I hate to be the new guy that turns up with problems day one, but im in a spot, and I hoping you guys can help. Sooo....

I swapped in a new motor (still a 2.9), extended the engine bay harness and ran it along the fram so it wouldnt be running through the plenum. That all went well. I pulled the dash and the wiring harness, and that is where the troubles started. As soon as I got the dash back together and the wiring harness in, and pressed the clutch, the horn went off. And now it blows constantly, so I unhooked it until I could find the problem. No cluster lights. I have the rear ABS light on. It turns off when the truck is started and then comes right back on. Lastly the engine starts sputtering and backfiring when it revs higher than 2500, with and without load. Ive set the timing at idle, and its at 8-10 BTDC. My thinking is something didnt get hooked up, or something was hooked up wrong and/or I jerked some wires loose. I used to be an aircraft electrician, before my current military job, but civilian wiring systems and military are waaaaaay different. lol. So I suppose one crisis at a time, can someone ID this wire?

The wire in my hand is the same one in the plug. Wire color are yellow/red,black/white, and what looks to be blue/green.

Sorry for the problem bomb on the first post. Many thanks ahead of time.:icon_cheers:

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
reads like something is crossed :)
higher rev stalling could be no timing change or low fuel pressure, might even be a TPS issue(throttle position sensor)

Have a look here these are the electrical diagrams with color codes, could be helpful
http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/EDiagrams/index.htm

Black is usually a ground but not always

reads like horn wire from steering column got shorted from clutch linkage, pinched.
There is a Clutch safety switch(NSS) on the pedal arm but wiring would have to be very screwed up for that to set off the horn.

Welcome to The Ranger Station

Last edited:

Demi_II

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Thank you for the reply. Its hard to tell because the wire is old but it looks to be dark blue and green. I was hoping someone could look at the plug and just see where it goes, im having a hard time finding it in the wiring diagrams as none of them ID the connectors. Its part of the mess of connectors on the aft driverside of the engine compartment. I also cant seem to find the wiring diagram for the horn. Im hoping to ID several wires that run through a single connector that may not be hooked up or seveal wires that may be pulled out. Im just taking it one step at a time. Can someone look at the connector and see where that goes for me, or point me to where it is on the diagram?

Demi_II

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual

Demi_II

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Bump for help.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals