• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

New Job!

SnC RangeR

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
After years of school and working my ass off I finally got a job at MHC Cooper Kenworth :yahoo: I was wondering if anyone had any advice or currently work on trucks. This will be my first time in a truck shop other than school and working in a marina/boat yard the past 3.5 years?

tmcalavy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Show up early, stay late...no bitchin' no matter what they do to you...take it with a smile/laugh, there's always some monkey shines with noobs. Firm handshake and keep your word. That about does it for any starting job that I can think of. Good luck, and congrats for gettin into a field you love...that alone makes it NOT work.

SnC RangeR

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
That being said iv been working part time on a tug boat and got the offer of full time right after I said i would work for mhc. i think iv decided to work full time on the tugboat. The hours are pure insanity but the pay is good and i love working on the boats.

tmcalavy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Advice stands...watch your hands and feet, hope you can swim.

TexasRebel

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 2006
Make / Model
Ford, Nissan
Engine Size
4.0 in both
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
You live every day, you only die once...
That being said iv been working part time on a tug boat and got the offer of full time right after I said i would work for mhc. i think iv decided to work full time on the tugboat. The hours are pure insanity but the pay is good and i love working on the boats.
My dad worked on tug boats for a while. He said he liked it and hated it at the same time.

SnC RangeR

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Im Still undecided and its killing me i wouldn't have a life if i work on the boat and i honestly don't know if i will sink or swim if i go to the truck side. Basically the tugboat offer came as soon as the GM realized i couldn't be johnny on the spot anymore because i had a full time job that would take me away. An asshole move because he new a month in advance i was going elsewhere.

tmcalavy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Yep, that's kinda shitty business waitin' til the last minute...if it twer me, I'd reconsider the shop job since it's new and uncharted territory. I mean, if that doesn't work out for some reason I'm sure the tugs will still be needing good hands...maybe at higher pay since you'd have truck shop experience under your belt. I don't know...use your head and heart to work it out, but always follow your gut as R.E. Lee used to say.

enjr44

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 2X4; 08 FX4
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Personally, I would go with Kenworth. The tug guy messed with you about the job by waiting to tell you he wanted you to stay until you got the other offer and gave him notice.

That would make me think he really didn't really care about you. Just about being left short handed.

Ed

SnC RangeR

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I'm going to work in the truck shop and I will still work part time on the boats. The offer wasn't really open and closed if the truck thing doesn't work out I think I can fall back on the boats. The GM is just a tight ass, they've needed me full time for the past 4 months but he just didn't want to spend the money so everyone else was spread thin and warn out its kinda the new norm for america.

tmcalavy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Good choice...I always tell my students to bank a little percentage of each of your paychecks...pay yourself that first...and bank it so you can jump on that really good job offer that will one day just fall into your lap out of the blue...every opportunity has a cost, be ready for it.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals