• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

New problems...

Sobe

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Well once again i'm back with yet another problem and i sure could use the vast knowledge of everybody to help me figure out.

So here's what happened. I went to pick up my buddy today because he was getting a new exhaust put on his truck. The exhaust shop is about 20 or 25minutes up the highway from where i live. Well on the way down to get him i started to hear what i believe is engine ping or almost like a ticking type noise. I've had this problem in the past and it only happens from time to time now. Well on the way back i thought i'd turn on the radio to try and cover up the sound a little bit and that was all well and good until i got just a few miles from home and the vehicle started to jerk, kinda the same feeling as when you're running outta gas (it had over a quarter tank full), and started to shift with a very poorly as well. This was after i had just gone up a large hill though so i'm not sure if this could be a major factor in the problem?

I got off the highway asap and it continued to shift very jerkily (i don't know if that's a word but that's what it felt like) as well. So right now i really don't know what to do. Could this be possibly a clogged fuel filter? Plugged injectors? If anybody could help me out i would greatly appreciate it.
Taylor

Last edited:

Big Jim M

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Filter first.. The ping could have been from a lean mixture..a result of too little pressure after the filter.
The herky-jerky could have been when you asked for more fuel than the filter could deliver.. and it was really running out of fuel..Do the filter first.
Big Jim

Sobe

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Well i changed the filter before work tonight. I'd never noticed before but the previous owner had the old one on backwards....
So anyway i changed that and it seemed to be running fine. Took it on the highway for a test drive. No problems and no ping.
That was until the drive into work this evening and the pinging started back up again. No nearly as bad as before but still noticable and for some reason it didn't happen on the way home after my shift?
The engine does seem to be idling and running much smoother now with the new filter installed but still there's still that persistant ping.

Sobe

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
I was just thinking back to when the pinging issue started and it was right after i replaced my MAF with a used one from the autowrecker's outta a '94 explorer 4.0L. (I was having troubles getting the truck started and thought that maybe replacing the MAF might help)
After the noise started i immediately took it off and put my old one back on and for a little while it was okay but then the pinging started again.
Could it be my old MAF is dirty and needs to be cleaned?

289-tiger-

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Sounds like the MAF, when replaced made the condition better. Replace with a quality MAF sensor. Good luck and disconnect the negative cable at the battery before replacement.

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
Sensors that are "dead" trip a Check Engine Light

Sensors that are "almost right" cause all kinds of problems.

Unplug it and see how it runs.

AD

Sobe

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Well the auto wreckers MAF was running my fuel really lean (i got 300 and something km on a half tank of fuel) so i put my original one back in. I cleaned it today and still no end to the pinging. There is no 'check engine' light on right now either.
Could it be carboned up injectors from when i was running the other MAF? I just shot some carb cleaner through it and i'm gonna take it for a drive. I'll get back with the results.
I have an appt. to run a dyagnostic test on it thursday so we'll see if anything else comes up.

Sobe

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Well drove it to work tonight and no ping that i could hear. I highly doubt its fixed though because this problem seems to be on and off. I'm not sure if i mentioned before but the pinging only occurs during highway driving.

This is really starting to piss me off though because this whole problem stemmed from a starting problem (which led to the install of the used MAF) and it just keeps going. I just can't seem to win when it comes to this truck.

Sobe

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
So i realized when i was doing my screwing around with the MAF's i was stupid enough to not disconnect the negative from the battery both times...
Could this have been my problem?
I disconnected the battery then the MAF and reconnected them. So far no pinging. Could it be my computer was screwing up the fuel to air mixtures as a result of my stupidit and by disconnecting and reconnecting it could have reset the computer?

289-tiger-

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Maybe. See how it performs and keep us advised. Electronic components are not favorable to power surges.

Good luck

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals