• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

New Ranger?

richlands55

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I`m thinking of buying a new Ranger. Stripped down XL, 4 CYL. 5 Speed. Anyone have a newer model one? If so what kind of gas mileage do you get? Thanks

Zeisan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
I've got an 03 xl with 235/75r15 goodyear wranglers on it., I do mostly highway driving and get 25-28 mpg. I might get better if I put smaller/street tires on it.

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
You would be better off with a V6, Bro. Because, if you want to do any future mods the V6 is best for any mods...lift, taller tires and you would already have a better drive train.

Rose2300

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
But he said he wants a 4 cyl, so a v6 would not be better for him because he does not want a v6. But yeah the i-4's pull down around 25-30 depending on how you drive and the driving conditions (lots or hills, more city driving, etc.)

richlands55

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I already have a 07 4x4 supercab with a 4.0. I get 19 mpg highway. I need a truck, just need something easier on gas. How are the 4 cyl. 5 speed power wise?

Rose2300

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
It's fine if you stick with the stock tire size. The best way to find out is to test drive one yourself and see if you like it, it'll be a dog compared to the 4.0 though

statley chubs

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I have a four banger five speed with 237k+ miles on 235/70/16 and get baout 25mpg and power is good enough for drivin around but put a load in it and youll notice

richlands55

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I know I would miss the 4.0. Might go drive one of the 4 cyls. Thanks for all the replies.

FlyinRyan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
2.5L
Transmission
Manual
98', 2.5 4cyl, 14" tires, ~23-26 MPG Highway, around 20 MPG City.

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
I already have a 07 4x4 supercab with a 4.0. I get 19 mpg highway. I need a truck, just need something easier on gas. How are the 4 cyl. 5 speed power wise?
Then just buy a gas sipper car if you already have a truck, Bro. My wife's '03 Corolla gets over 42 mpg at 80 mph on the highway. She goes forever on a tank of gas...just like my old VW bugs of the 70's, lol. My 2010 Rogue gets a little over 30 mpg with my Yakima roofrack at 80 mph on the highway and over 25 around town in stop and go traffic. I get almost 500 miles per tank on the Rouge.

hondaxr650

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I'd vote for keeping the truck and buying an econo car also. I refused to give up my Ranger so I picked up a pretty nice 87 Accord for a commuter and get around 31mpg with it, and it's carbureted with over 200,000 miles on it. Spending a little more on a newer fuel injected car would be even better. Better than losing a bunch of money on the truck you already have.

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
I'd vote for keeping the truck and buying an econo car also. I refused to give up my Ranger so I picked up a pretty nice 87 Accord for a commuter and get around 31mpg with it, and it's carbureted with over 200,000 miles on it. Spending a little more on a newer fuel injected car would be even better. Better than losing a bunch of money on the truck you already have.

Me, too. I love my Ranger and I just have no need to sell it. It still looks new and runs great and gets good gas milage for a lifted truck. I have never had any issues with it. Great truck!! I have friends who have big trucks and they all have a smaller car for more road trips and vacations across country. Just common sense.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals