• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Newb! Howdy! Here to LEARN!

jamie73554

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XL
Transmission
Automatic
Given that I have not owned a 4 wheeled vehicle in close to 40 years...I'm not up on life span of parts these days.....so, when do things like water pumps, alternators, voltage regulators, timing chain/belts, u-joints, etc fail. Sometimes its not the big thing that kill you.... its the being nickeled and dimed to death

jamie73554

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XL
Transmission
Automatic
I have some 8 hole steelies on my 96 that are pretty flush with the fenders.. unsure of width or backspacing numbers though.. I can measure tomorrow. They look to be 8" wide though with lower backspacing than stock, 225s on them.
I'd appreciate knowing that info if you could manage it.

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Well, they do refer to the town I am in as the edge of the earth...so yea...not middle of nowhere...the EDGE of nowhere! While I have not owned a car since 1986, I am very mechanically inclined. I know what to check and how to check it...but yes, the oddities of the model are unknown to me at this time....hence...I be here to learn!
I've been all around that area, but never really IN it. My father was stationed there in WW2 and an ex BIL during the VN era.

The Rangers are not difficult to sort out as far as simple mechanics go, almost easy as leggo blocks, but like anything else they can become complicated also

jamie73554

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XL
Transmission
Automatic
I am beginning to understand that. I guess what I am trying to narrow down, and I know its a bit nebulous, but given year, engine, tranny, how many miles is too many for reliability, how many is too low and there will be dozens of small things go wrong, but once replaced, have thousands of miles of reliability afterwards. This, and the fact I never bought a used car in my life and I honestly just don't trust anyone that is trying to sell something to tell me the truth. I don't want to over-analyze, but then again I don't want to stumble blindly into buying what looks great and well cared for, only to find out I bought of heap of impending trouble. I am, at this moment narrowing the search for a 2003 - 2006, 4cyl or 3.0L V6, manual tranny, regular cab, step-side with less than 100,000 miles that has clearly been well taken care of.

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Everybody drives a used car ;) In my case it's 400K. The truck had 234K when I bought it in late 06, and now near 400K. I'm slowly gathering an engine to swap in there, and I have a back-up transmission. Other than that I'm just changing tires ever 60/80K or so and the usual oil changes etc
I went to a u-pick-it yard when times were better and filled my bag a few times over with smaller smog items and such, a few dozen fuses, just whatever looked like it might help out down the road somewhere

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
I am beginning to understand that. I guess what I am trying to narrow down, and I know its a bit nebulous, but given year, engine, tranny, how many miles is too many for reliability, how many is too low and there will be dozens of small things go wrong, but once replaced, have thousands of miles of reliability afterwards. This, and the fact I never bought a used car in my life and I honestly just don't trust anyone that is trying to sell something to tell me the truth. I don't want to over-analyze, but then again I don't want to stumble blindly into buying what looks great and well cared for, only to find out I bought of heap of impending trouble. I am, at this moment narrowing the search for a 2003 - 2006, 4cyl or 3.0L V6, manual tranny, regular cab, step-side with less than 100,000 miles that has clearly been well taken care of.
Mileage isnt as important as overall maintence and useage.

Id rather buy something with 175,000 well cared for, highway miles then something with 90,000 towing, city miles thats been beat or neglected

jamie73554

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XL
Transmission
Automatic
yes, there is the two ends....but I don't want something with so high a mileage I will be replacing the engine soon. Like motorcycles, if what you can see hasn't been properly maintained....paint, chrome, dirty engine, etc, then there probably a good chance that what you cant see hasn't either. That is the first clue and tells me to dig deep. I'm am finding some out there that are basically pristine and have less that 150K on them, and then those that have 75K and look like they were resurrected from the jaws of a crusher. Many things to consider where I live, like for one, there is not a repair shop anywhere less than 35 miles away. I would be looking at a 200 tow bill before they even opened the hood to see what wrong. Whatever I do buy will be my only vehicle and at my age, getting stranded on the side of the side in 110 heat or 0 degree cold would not be good. I need reliable, first and foremost.

jamie73554

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XL
Transmission
Automatic
Everybody drives a used car ;) In my case it's 400K. The truck had 234K when I bought it in late 06, and now near 400K. I'm slowly gathering an engine to swap in there, and I have a back-up transmission. Other than that I'm just changing tires ever 60/80K or so and the usual oil changes etc
I went to a u-pick-it yard when times were better and filled my bag a few times over with smaller smog items and such, a few dozen fuses, just whatever looked like it might help out down the road somewhere
I like that...everybody drives a used car...Very true if you think about it....I am not in a position where I can do what I used to do...work on my own vehicles. EVERYTHING comes with a high bill and then just gets higher from there.

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
183 ci of tire shredding power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
drives a stick shift ranger
we got our 05 ranger edge single cab stepside with 3.0 v6 and five speed with 200k miles on it and its got 215 or 220k on it now. its been reliable enough to drive a cross texas and up into colorado.

my dad always bought rangers for his plumbing company trucks. we drove model years 93 up to the newest, a 98 mazda. always 4 cylinders and five speeds. no automatics, no v6s. texas is big and dad wanted something that was better on gas then the full size trucks. those rangers were really dependable. he always bought them used and we drove them forever. i don't remember one of them ever leaving any of our guys on the side of the road. when i left the company to work for the army, most of hte trucks were over 300k miles. i know i kept the 98 mazda and it had 325k and ran like brand new.

so rangers are solid trucks. just do your checks when you go to look at one and if everything seems good, its probably good

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
My buddy finally just retired his 98 3.0 at 346k. Ran like a top.. just lost every gear but 3rd & reverse one night leaving work.

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Check some of the local schools for a mecha
I like that...everybody drives a used car...Very true if you think about it....I am not in a position where I can do what I used to do...work on my own vehicles. EVERYTHING comes with a high bill and then just gets higher from there.
There's been a thread or two that discussed alternate methods of acquiring and maintaining a used truck. I am not certain the specifics but talked of using school or vo-tec students to work on or update a used vehicle

jamie73554

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XL
Transmission
Automatic
That a thought for sure! Thanks

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
You could possibly get a soldier around there. My ex bil came home on the weekends, for him it was only a couple hundred miles, but no doubt some of those fellas get left there wishing they had something more to do.
I'd try an ad in the local papers there just saying you need some help with a vehicle. Do you have a vehicle yet? If not you might even get them to look it over with you, if you can find one suitable for fixing. Are you able to chase parts during the week?

jamie73554

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XL
Transmission
Automatic
haha...maybe...whether I can chase parts or not would depend on whether the truck is running or not. I am extremely knowledgeable in auto mechanics. I just cant do it physically any more beyond very light and easy stuff. And well, quite frankly, the object is to find a truck I don't have to work on...one that I can inspect, make a list and buy parts and replace them BEFORE they break. Also, do some "upgrades" as time and budget permits. There are a few good shops in Altus that I trust.

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Give it a shot man, are there thrifty nickels or anything like that around there local?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals