• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Newer 3 color tail lights...Red-Yellow-White

RK Racing

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
Newer 3 color tail lights...Red-Yellow-White...I not sure what year they are...maybe about 2006 or so Rangers. What year did they come on and can I convert over to a 3 blub from a 2 blub for those lenses?

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Pretty sure the last year for 3-color lenses was '99.

I don't think it would be easy to convert either, you'd need to run a new wire harness, and possibly change the multifunction switch on the steering column too, but I couldn't say 100% for sure though.

95RangerAK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
gen 3s came with 3 bulb. 93 up.

Scrambler82

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/EDGE
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4.5" SL
Total Drop
WWWhhhaaattt !?!
Tire Size
33 x 12.50
I purchased the set of '99 taillights for my '03.
Haven't put them in yet because I have not located the sockets but this is what I wanted to do to add separate amber directional lights.

1) Cut the existing wire from the brake/directional bulb.(Leave enough wire for splicing another wire to it)
2) Attach the cut wire from the brake/directional to the new directional socket.
3) At the brake light switch, disconnect the wire going to the brake light.
4) Run another wire (16 gauge) from the brake light switch to the old brake light location at the rear of the vehicle.

By moving the existing brake/directional wire to the directional location it lets the bulb function as a directional through the existing system.
Disconnecting the existing wire at the brake light switch stops any brake signal from going through the existing system; you have just eliminated the existing brake lights.
By running a new wire from the brake light switch to the brake lights you add a new signal path for the brake lights only.

NOTE:
Probe all of the wires ahead of time and mark them and then double check that you have the correct wire before cutting.
You might want to disconnect the existing brake light wire at the brake light switch and verify that the directional lights still work and the brake lights don't, that is before cutting anything.
Preparation is the key, take your time and do it right.
Solder all of the connection but only after you have a good mechanical bond and you have tested the circuits.
Use adhesive type heat shrink to keep things water tight on all soldered connections.

If anyone finds fault with this please post the correction, I want to do it also and times a wast'n.

Last edited:

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
That sounds like it would work to me.

Just make sure there's no part of the brake lamp circuit feeding into another component (such as the ABS controller, transmission park interlock, etc.) when you cut the connection at the brake light switch (you'll likely need to rewire it back into the circuit if so).

Scrambler82

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/EDGE
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4.5" SL
Total Drop
WWWhhhaaattt !?!
Tire Size
33 x 12.50
4x4junkie, good point.

Computers are great thing when it comes to operating EFI and the new multistage-cylinder engines but for running the vehicle they are getting in the way.

R K Racing, Let the sight know what you find out and what you do.

Scrambler82

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/EDGE
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4.5" SL
Total Drop
WWWhhhaaattt !?!
Tire Size
33 x 12.50
4x4junkie,

Any idea if there is a connection from the brake light switch to the ABS system ?

Anyone know for sure if I take the wire from the load side of the brake lights switch and remove it from the circuit and then run another wire from the load side of the brake lights switch will this interfere with the ABS System or any other systems in the vehicle.

RK Racing,

How you ding with this ?
I am at a point to start the rewire but do not know enough about the ABS System to know if I will have a problem.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
There will most certainly be a connection to the ABS controller in there somewhere... I just don't know exactly where the tap point would be (not familiar with the wiring in the later trucks).

If you don't have a set of wiring diagrams for your truck, I would strongly suggest getting a set. This should tell you which wire (terminal) on the ABS controller is part of the Brake-On-Off (BOO) circuit (this circuit likely goes into the Cruise Control unit as well to suspend it's operation when the brakes are applied).

flyingbrick

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Correct me if I am wrong but, didn’t the Mazda B-Series, and Ranger STX package, come with the 3 bulb set up that is only good for that bed?

Scrambler82

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/EDGE
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4.5" SL
Total Drop
WWWhhhaaattt !?!
Tire Size
33 x 12.50
There will most certainly be a connection to the ABS controller in there somewhere... I just don't know exactly where the tap point would be (not familiar with the wiring in the later trucks).

If you don't have a set of wiring diagrams for your truck, I would strongly suggest getting a set. This should tell you which wire (terminal) on the ABS controller is part of the Brake-On-Off (BOO) circuit (this circuit likely goes into the Cruise Control unit as well to suspend it's operation when the brakes are applied).

As usual junkie you bring good info to the table.
I do not have the schematics for this truck but will have to consider getting them.
I will have to talk to the Ford Electrical Guy at the local Dealership, maybe he can tell me where the connections are made for both the ABS and the Cruise.
Glad you came back.

flyingbrick,
No idea man, my wife drives a '98 Ext Cab, XLT with StepSide Bed and it has the three light setup. My older '95 L-Series, std bed, 2WD, had the three light setup; it appears to be no rhyme or reasons to it, thanks.

ltr,

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals