• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Newly Lifted Branger Questions

tajvelocity

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazduh
Engine Size
2.5 Kittens
Transmission
Manual
Finally got it done: 99 B2500 with 3" Fabtech (Fagtech?) spindles and shackles in the back. 15x8 inch V-5's with 31x10.5 tires. It looks way bad*sser than it did before, but I have a couple of questions as I've been driving it today:

1. Steering feels a bit more vague. I didn't look at the alignment specs, but it pretty much goes straight (it is windy today too). Also, when I hit a bump it definitely vibrates and jiggles a bit on that front wheel. Would a steering stabilizer help? Is that an option? I'll do a little more searching about them because I'm not real sure what they do.

2. Speaking of steering, my power steering, which was already kind of whiny (not the belt but the pump I think) anyway is way louder at full lock. It sounds super stressed about something. I don't think the tires rub anywhere. Is this just to be expected with bigger tires? I knew I'd lose a little turning radius, but I'm worried about the pump. Fluid seems level and full.

The truck's got some other issues, but I just thought I throw out some questions because I've never had a lifted truck before. Now I'm going to :beer:

3.0ranger1227

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Steering stabilizer is not really an option because IIRC no one makes a kit to do it. If you have T-bars it is almost impossible, if you have coils its slightly easier.

More than likely your camber is way off and the steering feels vague because there is less tire contacting the ground. The power steering whining is normal... just wait till you spend some time off road and it really starts whining.

PICS!

tajvelocity

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazduh
Engine Size
2.5 Kittens
Transmission
Manual
I have coils. Pics soon! It's running like crap too, but I will address that in the appropriate section. I'll check the alignment specs but it looks legit. It was vague when it was lowered too so I'm not sure what's up. Steering whine isn't that bad until full lock, and I have fit into some tight spaces in the hood so I wanted to make sure it's not going to blow up on me.

Ranger Sport Honduras

Zoom Zoom
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mitsubishi/Ford
Engine Size
3.0/2.3
My credo
Fortune Favors the Brave
the whining is due to the heavier tires, also the steering rods are working on an angle now, so that stresses it too. dont worry, mine whines and it works fine.

as for the vague steering, well bigger tires will give u that. alignment is not the only thing to check. look out if the ball joints arent shot or the steering tie rods

tajvelocity

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazduh
Engine Size
2.5 Kittens
Transmission
Manual
Ball joints are brand new as well as one of the tie rods. The other tie rod seems fine. It's not that bad but I haven't been able to drive it much because it's running like poop. Had to park it until I figure it out. :dunno:

ES894x4

December 2013 STOTM
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
i havent been in a ranger that doesnt scream for dear life(new) or just die(old) when the steering goes close to full lock

tajvelocity

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazduh
Engine Size
2.5 Kittens
Transmission
Manual
Ha! Good to know. I haven't been in another Ranger before. Why do they do that though? Just by design? It's not like the pump is weak or anything is it?

3.0ranger1227

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
poor reservoir design in the pump. best thing you can do is throw a bigger cooler in the loop

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
Finally got it done: 99 B2500 with 3" Fabtech (Fagtech?) spindles and shackles in the back. 15x8 inch V-5's with 31x10.5 tires. It looks way bad*sser than it did before, but I have a couple of questions as I've been driving it today:

1. Steering feels a bit more vague. I didn't look at the alignment specs, but it pretty much goes straight (it is windy today too). Also, when I hit a bump it definitely vibrates and jiggles a bit on that front wheel. Would a steering stabilizer help? Is that an option? I'll do a little more searching about them because I'm not real sure what they do.

2. Speaking of steering, my power steering, which was already kind of whiny (not the belt but the pump I think) anyway is way louder at full lock. It sounds super stressed about something. I don't think the tires rub anywhere. Is this just to be expected with bigger tires? I knew I'd lose a little turning radius, but I'm worried about the pump. Fluid seems level and full.

The truck's got some other issues, but I just thought I throw out some questions because I've never had a lifted truck before. Now I'm going to :beer:

Here is my 99 Ranger with the Fabtech 3 inch spindle lift and rear add-add-a leafs and 33x112.5 KO tires. I had no rub issues at all.

I then added the bl and 2 inch taller coils the next year and this what it still looks like today. I am on my second set of KO tires and I really love them!!!

tajvelocity

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazduh
Engine Size
2.5 Kittens
Transmission
Manual
Yeah your truck looks great. As far as I can tell, I'm not rubbing at all. I kind of cheaped out on tires on the advice of my dude at Tire "Discounters" and got Nexen Rodians. Pics this weekend. Hopefully it's not too cold to do some bootleg engine diagnosis.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals