• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Nicotine dripping from my interior!

BackwoodsSaint

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 and 4cyl
Transmission
Manual
Ok, so I bought a 91 Ranger with a thrown rod to fix and re-sell, the truck is absolutely gorgeous, however the previous owner was a very heavy smoker, I wouldn't care that much if i was keeping it (the smell doesn't bother me) but as you might imagine it's not a huge selling point, now i've already tried a febreeze bomb and a bunch of those little pine trees, anybody got some good home remedies or tips on a good way to get it out? it's also been airing for about a month now.. thanks

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
On Gen I Rangers there is mostly metal surfaces (low trim level) and I have to clean mine regularly (if I remember) to keep the smell down...especially in summer...

I use Windex or other window cleaner and plenty of paper towels on the trim surfaces and have removed the head liner once to scrub it with soapy water and let it drip dry...but I found Febreeze actually removes or masks the smell better than anything...

Remember that the seats, door panels, and any carpet that is exposed will absorb the smoke and smell...especially when it gets wet...

Any plastic surfaces need to be washed with warm soapy water or a similar spray cleaner like that for windows...

Now, that reminds me...lol

Lil-Pony

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Take a Guess
Engine Size
2.8 soon to be 4bt
Transmission
Automatic
Mine smells like old man, better than smoke i guess

Surrey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Use vinegar on all hard surfaces, and sprinkle LOTS of baking soda over the carpets and seats. Let the baking soda sit for a day, vacuum it up, and then let the truck air out for a little bit.

If you know anyone with a carpet cleaner, like one of those little Bissel Green Machines, borrow that and put it to use. Just make sure you do a really good job sucking up any water you spray on the seats and make sure it can air dry.

Febreeze or Lysol fabric spray can be amazing products too.

edit - for the vinegar, mix it 50/50 with water, then wipe down anything thats not fabric.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Cigarette (tobacco) smoke is very nasty dirty stuff. The smoke carries the tar and other compounds deep into anything that's even remotely permeable (not just cloth, carpet & padding, but vinyl & rubber parts too). Kindof like spilled rotten milk baked in the sun, or dead-body smell, the only way you can get rid of it completely is to burn it to the ground.

Short of that (or replacing every single non-hard-plastic/non-metallic interior component), Surrey's baking soda/vinegar idea sounds to me like your best bet to at least make somewhat of a dent in the amount of odor.

Steam-cleaning the carpets, headliner & seats should help also (assuming you haven't done that yet).

BackwoodsSaint

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 and 4cyl
Transmission
Manual
i have baking soda in there for the night, we'll see how good it is come morning

Surrey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Google is your friend for this sorta thing. I moved into a house that stunk of wet dog, and we were able to deal with it....

And I mean, stunk so bad, when I was there to look at the house, someone else showed up to look too. They walked up the front stairs, said 'This place stinks! this is absolutely disgusting, you shouldn't even be showing it like this!' turned around and left. I said fukk them, I"ll take it! lol

Its doable, it just will take some work and probably a few different things to get the smell out.

ElectraRider

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989 ,2000
Make / Model
Ford ,Ford
Engine Size
2.9 ,4.0
Transmission
Manual
Might try Pine-sol that's what I use to get my steering wheel clean and other hard surfaces, that I seem to get pretty grimy. It comes in different fragrances as well.

truckfan

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
You can also use ozone machine or generator to completely clean the air inside your rig.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
For sale: 1991 Ranger perfect inside and out, smokers only, no quitters!

45 cartons of Camel non-filters, OBO
Cash accepted if previous arrangement is made

veefer800canuck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger FX4
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Steam clean all the fabric and clean the crap out of all the plastic and metal surfaces.

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
If you know anyone with a carpet cleaner..... borrow that and put it to use.
And whatever the hell you do, DON'T tell them what you are using it for. :D

MastuhWaffles

11/2014 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
My credo
I need more sleep.
Don't they make stuff that is a foam? I think I have a can of it, it has a scrubber on it and you work it into the seats. Might try that?

mobileaudio219

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Every time I get a new vehicle and it's pretty dirty/smelly, I pull the carpet and seats out and take them to the car wash. I like using the car wash over a regular power washer because it sprays out warm soapy water.... After I'm sure that I got out everything I can, I drag everything over to the vacuum and suck up all the extra water, then lay it out in the sun to dry.

While that is drying, I take a bucket of soap and water and scrub all the hard plastic....

Once everything is dry, I hit it with some febreze and re-install everything... Not only is all smell gone, but the carpet and everything is so fluffy and smooth... lol

A single cab 2nd gen shouldn't take very long to do.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
For sale: 1991 Ranger perfect inside and out, smokers only, no quitters!

45 cartons of Camel non-filters, OBO
Cash accepted if previous arrangement is made
LOL...I'd want to throw in a lighter or two on that deal...

I might pull my carpets and seats out before the end of summer and try some of these suggestions. My truck is starting to get to me lately but I must admit that I've been a bit slack on my regular cleaning routine. It's no surprise that some people (even smokers) turn a bit green after it has been baking in the sun with the windows closed and they jump in.

If I happen to fart on top of that I'm sure I'd see a few casualties in the passenger seat...:D

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals