• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

No rear lights

Sunk

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.5 Eco
Transmission
Automatic
I had a tail light out and I replaced that, and now I have no lights in the rear. No running lights, brake lights, turn signals, emergency flashers or reverse lights. All the lights on the front end work, but nothing out back. The fuses all look good, the flashers I replaced a few months ago as well as the main headlight switch. Since everything out back is dead, I was thinking maybe a ground. I checked the diagrams in the Tech Library, it looks like they share a common ground... so my question is where is that located? Or if anybody has any other ideas they'd be appreciated.

Thanks.

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
Good place to start. It's more likely a bad connector or splice, versus the main grounding point (G200). On that taillights' ground wire, Splice #314 is simply listed as "LH frame rail" Connector #350 is "Rear of LH frame rail". Farther up the circuit there's a Splice #300, again only listed as "LH frame rail". The next splice up is S304, pictured in the EVTM as just after the tranny crossmember. At that point the ground circuit branches to the fuel pump, so if the truck runs, the ground wire fault is at some point after that. Your best bet is to pull that rear lighting harness down and open it up, following the ground wire itself from the back to S304 splice. Sounds like the wire is broken, one of the splices is rotted, or the C350 connector is rotted out.

Sunk

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.5 Eco
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks! I'll check on that later and see what I find.

gbadgley

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
99 Explorer
Make / Model
02 Ranger 4x4
Transmission
Automatic
I would look towards a connector also, Usually when you loose the ground the T/S will backfeed and ground through the taillights making a very dim t/s light. Greg

Sunk

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.5 Eco
Transmission
Automatic
I checked all the connections in the very back, messed with a few, no difference. I'll keep playing with stuff and work up the frame rail.

Sunk

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.5 Eco
Transmission
Automatic
Ok I pulled the harness apart from the back up to the tank and between the tank and transfercase. That's about all I can do without dropping the tank, and everything looks good to me. I also checked the harness at the rear where it splits and goes to the tail lights, license plate lights and everything... I saw a connections that looked maybe a little iffy, so I redid them. Still nothing out back..... Any other ideas?

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My brother had a truck that came in, the license plate light socket had rubbed against the bumper and shorted out. He said it was a hard thing to track down, you might check into it. He brought the socket home and it was all melted and the bulb was black.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
If this all happened after replacing one bulb, I'd suggest remove that bulb and try a different one...you may have stuck it in backwards (hard to do but anything is possible)...

I'd also suggest to change the fuse(s) even if they look OK...sometimes you can't tell with those fuses...

The ground on the light circuit is by the battery...at least for the front lights, but if you've got no running lights then you might check that the ground wires are clean and the screws are tight...

I had a similar problem when I first installed the wiring harness...turned out to be the ground wire at the front was not grounding properly...hope you find it!~

Sunk

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.5 Eco
Transmission
Automatic
I'm pretty sure the bulb isn't in backwards, but I've done it before... I'll check the fuses with a voltmeter when I get a chance. I don't have one, and my buddy's was out on his boat. In the meantime, I'll keep riding the bike...

Sunk

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.5 Eco
Transmission
Automatic
Ok i swapped around the bad fuses with other fuses that I know are good... no difference. The bulb isn't in backwards, I checked that too. It may have to wait until I can get a dry day to crawl under the truck and try to find the ground for the rear harness.

Sunk

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.5 Eco
Transmission
Automatic
Ok, I noticed that my front blinkers and indicators are now blinking twice as fast as normal, like they would if there was a bulb out, but they do it on both sides. Maybe I just didn't notice it before... Hmm..

WildSide

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Unplug the rear harness under the hood under the brake booster and check the front bulbs

Sunk

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.5 Eco
Transmission
Automatic
OK, I'll try that... but what should I be looking for?

WildSide

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Just a grey rectangular conector with two rows of wires leading to the rear, unplug and if your front lights work properly you know for sure the rear harness contains the problem. Perhaps that conector's contacts need cleaning or repair.

Sunk

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.5 Eco
Transmission
Automatic
Ok well i didn't have to unplug the rear harness... it was already done for me! I should have looked their first but I honestly didn't expect it... The clips on the plug aren't in the best shape it probably came apart when I was doing my clutch... So it all worked, except the driver's side side brake light/blinker function, but i think i can fix that... and replace my blinker fuse.

Thanks guys.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals