• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Not very Torquey 3.0

85_redranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.5L 4 Cyl
Transmission
Manual
alrighty guys i just bought my 92 3.0 with an A4LD it has a really bad exhaust leak but new plugs, wires, rotor cap, button, and air filter. when i'm driving on flat ground and mash the gas it picks up speed but very slowly but when i'm driving on the highway at about 55 and go up a slight incline it slows down alot i don't know if the exhaust leak would have anything to do with it or not but i'm going to change the tranny filter as soon as i can and see if that helps... it also sat all through the winter... any suggestions

Big Jim M

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Two thoughts: First are the tires stock size OR are they too tall for the rear gearing?
Second.. Could the exhaust leak be caused by the muffler or catalitic converter being partially stopped up and not allowing enough exhaust to pass out the tail pipe?
Either of these two suggestions would cause a similiar problem to what you have posted... Both would allow the engine to run seemingly normal.
Big JIm

85_redranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.5L 4 Cyl
Transmission
Manual
the exhaust pipe is rusted and there is no catalytic converter but there is a huge hole in the muffler probably causing a lot of backpressure i'm putting a thrush turbo muffler on it today juist getting second opinions.

fourwheelford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
3.0 Flex
Transmission
Automatic
The hole would create a lack back pressure and cause problems.

mc_muench

Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
maybe it's the fact that its a 3.0 with auto, the engines aren't powerhouses ya know

bigcountry

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
yes an exhaust leak could cause those problems if i was you while they were replacing the muffler i would have them replace a good bit of the exhaust under the truck so you can get some of the leaks fixed cause you nor i have no clue how bad the leak is and if you live up north the exhaust could be in some bad shape. id also check for some vaccum leaks

85_redranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.5L 4 Cyl
Transmission
Manual
thanks alot guys the muffler is getting welded hopefully today by my friends dad ad for now i'm just putting a turndown on it til i get some moolah i drove it open hedder'd last night pissed off neighbors, gave me a headache, and there was no difference in power at all

Rearanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
On a 92 did you think to take a compression test? That would be my first test, even before buying the truck.

SixFoFalcon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Check the throttle cable (search "TC mod" or "throttle cable mod".) It's probably not the source of all your problems but a stretched cable sure doesn't help performance and it's a very common issue on these trucks.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals