• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

''O/D OFF" light flashing

mattswan267

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 liter
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 2002 Ranger 3.0 auto, 2WD. It has a 1999 3.0 engine in it. I'm still using the 2002 trans. My speedomoter doesn't work either. The 2002 trans has two small plug-ins off of it near the back of the trans., I'm assuming one is for the speedometer and the other is for O/D? The 1999 engine harnes is missing these plug-ins which explains having no speedometer. There is an "O/D OFF" light flashing in the dash. The trans kinda shifts funny-sometimes it doesnt downshift when putting the pedal to the floor.

I'm wondering that Maybe its stuck in O/D because it's not plugged in? Again the 1999 engine wiring harness I have does not have the nessessary plug-ins for two small plug-ins near the back of the 2002 trans.

Any help would be greatly appreciatted -thanks

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
Can you post up pics, cause your trans functions (up/down shifting, OD on/off, TC lockup) are all in one big plug right above the shifter selector that the cable hooks to. One plug on the rear of the trans is for the ECU so know the output speed of the trans. Your speedo is actually controlled by the VSS in the rear axle...
SVT

Earl43P

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F250 4WD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Put the 02 engine harness on, with the 02 PCM and plug the trans in properly.

I would expect the trans to shift funny and have no OD when it isn't getting proper electrical connections, in your case it sounds like no speed signal.

Why did you go with the 99 engine harness? 99 had the 4R44E trans on the 3.0 while the 2.5 and 4.0 had the 5R55E. I'd guess the 02 3.0 got the 5R55E, which is the root of your problem.

99 4R44E uses the VSS signal from the rear axle for transmission control and speedometer. The 5R55Es have an OSS on the tailshaft in place of the rear axle VSS.

I'm sure there's some shadetree backdoor wiring change you could do to "make it work", but without the 02 wiring in front of me, I can't help you with that.

I can send you a pile of schematics for 2000, which will be ~ the same as the 99.
If you want to assume that the 02's tranny is pinned out like the 2000 2.5 and 4.0 5R55E (which will be included), you could make some splices into the harness and sensors where you have no plugs presently. You'd need the missing connectors from the old 02 engine harness, again the root of your problem.

What happened to the 02 harness? "Gone with the old engine" is gonna be a bad answer.....

PM me an e-mail address if you want the 2000 schematics. They might help you.

mattswan267

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 liter
Transmission
Automatic
I bought the truck with no engine in it. The closest engine i could find for it was a 1999 3.0. The 1999 trans that came with the 1999 3.0 had no reverse in it(reverse was broken). Thats why im using the 2002 trans. Fidning a 2002 engine harness is way way easier said than done. Fidning one thats for a 02 3.0, auto, 2WD is near impossible. And if i did find any no one wants to part it out of their engine. If I could find some sort of speed sensor circuit diagram that would be extremely helpful considering I can get it to pass DEQ because the check engine lights on for the "speed sensor circuit"

-Thanks

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
Find an 02 trans harness from either the 2.5L or the 4.0L...The trans harness (2.5 or 4.0L) should plug into the the engine harness(3.0L)...The electronics IIRC use the same plugs, while the physical shape and bolt pattern are different. You remember what the trans harness plug looks like (both on the bellhousing end and the tailshaft end), keep that in mind when you go shopping :icon_thumby:
SVT

mattswan267

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 liter
Transmission
Automatic
The trans harness is built into the engine harness. Finding the 2002 engine harness requires me to change out the injectors, all the oxegen sensors etc... tons of money. I'm not afraid to splice wires in here and there for now just to get the codes to go away.

The 1999 engine harness plugs right into the 2002 trans(the two major plug ins near the shifter arm).

The 1999 trans and the 2002 trans are exactly the same other than the two little plug-ins on the rear of the trans. But that doesnt mean that the wires that do plug in are the same(different wires may be in different places, or missing)

--weezl--

June 2011 OTOTM Winner
Law Enforcement
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
your flashing light is the same as a CEL, but for the transmission, and if your pcm has no idea how that transmission works, it has to learn the dynamics, and as you drive, it will smooth out

mattswan267

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 liter
Transmission
Automatic
What does the speedometer run off of? The trans somewhere? or off the rearend?

--weezl--

June 2011 OTOTM Winner
Law Enforcement
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
depends on the vehicle... some run from the trans tailshaft, some run from the transfercase, and some run from the rear diff... i've even been told some run off the brakes (abs sensor)

mattswan267

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 liter
Transmission
Automatic
I replaced the ABS. speed sensor in the rearend housing. It didn't fix the problem.

mecman99

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
these plugs?

Well I have 2002 wiring diagrams and if you tell me what you need I’ll try to send them to you. On the 5r55e trans I see two sensors. One in the front by the bell housing and one in the rear by the tail shaft both on the side of the trans case. Towards the top area drivers side on the same side as the big plug by the manual valve. One is overdrive drum speed sensor the other is output shaft speed sensor. Are they the ones you are talking about? Are they the ones you need to wire in? Both are held in by a t30 torx bolt.
this is the speedometer operation
"Anti-Lock Brake Speed Sensor
The programmable speedometer/odometer module (PSOM) receives input from the rear brake anti-lock sensor. After processing the signal, the PSOM relays it to the powertrain control module (PCM) and the speed control module. Information from the PSOM is used to help determine shift scheduling, torque converter clutch operation and electronic pressure control (EPC).

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals