• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Odometer and the laws

oldjohnny

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
So, recently, I've been going back and forth questioning about swapping my gauge cluster with one that has a tachometer. I've read many different things, so I am leaning on switching it.

But my concern now is the legality about the odometer. Let's say I currently have 150K, and I swap it with one that has 125K, is this an illegal procedure? I always thought that a car/trucks odometer is obsolete after 100K, meaning that after 100K, you no longer have to keep up with the mileage of the car. I'm currently going back and forth with this dilema, so I need someone that has legal experience to guide me on this one.

My Odometer is about to go out (giving me the same symptoms as my last truck beofre it gave out), so I think I may need to swap it, does anyone know what is legal and what is not?

a-5 freak

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I do not have legal exp., but I think the odometer is only needed for legal purposes before 100k, (warranty issues) after that, the ford dealers dont care what your mileage is. Just my .02.

Hypnotic Toast

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
V6
Transmission
Automatic
I was told that it's only illegal if you plan on selling the truck. If you don't, then it's your decision.

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you can't go through it or around it, then go over it.
you need to put a sticker on either the door post or under the hood that shows the mileage your odometer had when it came out and the mileage on the odometer that went in, plus keep all your receipts showing the mileage that the used odometer had when you purchased it. Then you have to sell it as "Unknown Mileage"

RangerFabWorks

The O.G blackwidow67
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
as long as your title says mileag exempt. you can do what ever you want with the speedo

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals