• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

oh3 4x4 suspension improvements?

95offroadx

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
As most know the stock susp on the 98+ rangers is very limited. So im not going to get to carried away with the size of the lift or tires(stayin with 33x12.50's). Im thinking about adding some coilovers inplace of the shocks and removing the torison bars. i know it wont add much if any travel but it should help the ride quiality on and off road. For the rear i have a set of stock 91 explorer leaf springs, and probably a set of long travel shocks for the rear, also sway bar quick dissconnets.

Am i missing something that i should get or modify to improve offroad capabilty as far as the suspension goes?

right now im rockin a 2" tt and 33x12.50's other then that its stock, and i hate how i feel every bump,

legoms013

09/2013 OTOTM
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
Im not very knowledgeable about A-arm setups on newer RBV's, but it seems if you could make custom arms and mount the top of the coilover up high, that would give you some much needed travel without having to use drop brackets.

Like i said tho....not to informed about your type of suspension :icon_confused:

Maybe someone else will chime in with some ideas....

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
"220, 221, whatever it takes."
The main advantage coil-overs will give you is increased ground clearance since the torsion bars are gone. Lift and travel isn't going to change. The Superlift kit drops the diff and has new knuckles to effectively drop the hubs. The suspension geometry doesn't change. If you can fab and weld a bit, converting to coil-overs isn't real hard. A guy on the Sport Trac board has done this with a few Superlift bits added to lift the truck.

My take is to lower your TT a bit and put on a body lift and new shocks. I did a 1.5" TT on a Ranger and a Sport Trac that I've owned previously and never thought the ride was objectionable, although the Ranger was a Off-Road Package with OE shocks that made it ride like a cement mixer anyway.

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
"220, 221, whatever it takes."
my ride didnt change when i did the tt.
Okay. You said how you hate how you feel every bump, I figured you thought it rode harder after the TT. Is your truck a factory Off-Road or FX4? They have stiffer shocks. Try Monroe Sensa Tracs if you want it to ride better.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals