• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

oil filter

5.0 Kid

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 soon to be 5.0
Transmission
Manual
I am going to put a 5.0 in my 1990 bronco 2, and was wondering if i can use a right angle adapter like Ford Racing M-6880-A50. Or do I have to get the adapter that relocates the oil filter somewhere else?

Teddyzee

December 2011 STOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L HO, GT40 heads, GT40 intake, 65mm TB, 1.7rr, Tri-Y headers, dual 2.5" exhaust, Flowmaster muffl
Transmission
Manual

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Depending on what FEAD you are running you might get away with it, with my setup it would be where my power steering pump is.

Just about every swap I have seen has a relocation setup.

5.0 Kid

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 soon to be 5.0
Transmission
Manual
thanks for the info. where would be the best place to mount it? As in easy to get at, not in the way of anything won't get hit by debris.

847b

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I relocated the filter outside the frame rail well in front of the driver's side tire. It easy to get to and is shrouded pretty well from debris. I did have to get a couple 90 degree fittings on the relocation mount so the hoses shoot vertical. I would strongly recommend using -08 AN (or larger if you want) style braided hose. The trans-dapt kit commonly found uses hose which kinks easily.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I relocated the filter outside the frame rail well in front of the driver's side tire. It easy to get to and is shrouded pretty well from debris. I did have to get a couple 90 degree fittings on the relocation mount so the hoses shoot vertical. I would strongly recommend using -08 AN (or larger if you want) style braided hose. The trans-dapt kit commonly found uses hose which kinks easily.
The instructions with one of my parts said to use 1/2" hose.

I got the two aluminum parts seperatly and made hydraulic hose for the lines, it still came out cheaper than some of the kits with barb fittings.

I mounted mine where the charcoal canister was, I thought about the inner frame rail but decided it would make a big mess when I changed the oil. It is very easy to get at and install with the filter pre-filled.

http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61372&page=17

Last edited:

Teddyzee

V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L HO, GT40 heads, GT40 intake, 65mm TB, 1.7rr, Tri-Y headers, dual 2.5" exhaust, Flowmaster muffl
Transmission
Manual
My '97 has the battery on the driver's side. I mounted my filter to the battery tray, directly above the frame rail. (where the charcoal cannister was...)

The original adapter shown with hit the steering box on anything 1997 and older. Unless you've got the engine in a really strange location. (up high, and moved forward)

Truck is complete, by the way, these pics are from the build.

fordtrucknut77

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My '97 has the battery on the driver's side. I mounted my filter to the battery tray, directly above the frame rail. (where the charcoal cannister was...)

The original adapter shown with hit the steering box on anything 1997 and older. Unless you've got the engine in a really strange location. (up high, and moved forward)

Truck is complete, by the way, these pics are from the build.
not trying to hi jack, but what radiator hose is that for? what year and what motor? i got one today for a v8 explorer ( 98 i believe) and it looks nothing at all like yours

Teddyzee

V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The upper hose is from a 5.0 Mustang. We did trim a section out of it (on the top as you see it here, under that corrugated stuff). It fit fine without splicing it, but my bro did it for some reason. I was looking at the picture earlier, too...
Looks like it maybe mounted in the opposite direction from when it was on the car.

fordtrucknut77

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
ok thanks a bunch man, for some reason i thought i had read that you used a explorer rad house...guess i was making that up huh

fordtrucknut77

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
im so ready for this thing to drive out of the garage its not funny and just when i think i have it under control i run into another problem ARGHHHHHH

5.0 Kid

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 soon to be 5.0
Transmission
Manual
the joys of working on and owning a vehicle

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals