• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Oil Pressure Dropping?

poweranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I Just Picked Up A 1993 Ranger 4x4 Ext Cab And So Far It Has Been Running Pretty Good. It Does Have 150k Km On It, But The Last Few Days The Oil Pressure Has Been Dropping Significantly, Although Not Low Enough To Be Out Of The Normal Range Yet. The Oil Level Is Full, And I'm Wondering If This Is Normal For A Vehicle Of This Type And Age, Or Should I Investigate Further. Any Help Would Be Greatly Appreciated! Thanks.

Southern3.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'96
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3, what a turd...
Transmission
Manual
The oil Gauge on Ranges are completely unreliable and never read right, the gauge on my old '91 would jump around like crazy and my '02 flickers and jumps around all the time. Hook up a mechanical gauge and if it still reads low then there's a problem.

Southern3.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'96
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3, what a turd...
Transmission
Manual
The oil Gauge on Ranges are completely unreliable and never read right, the gauge on my old '91 would jump around like crazy and my '02 flickers and jumps around all the time. Hook up a mechanical gauge and if it still reads low then there's a problem.

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
double post :buttkick: :D

id like to clarify southerns statement. the stock oil pressure gauges arent unreliable...they are utterly useless. they serve the same function as an oil light...anything above 6-8PSI and the gauge reads "normal", anything below that it reads "low". nothing in between. the fact that your gauge is fluctuating is more indicative of an electrical problem (bad ground, low voltage, ect) then an oil pressure problem.

if you verify your oil pressure with a real gauge, you'll probably discover you have nothing to worry about.

poweranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Oil Pressure Dropping

Thanks Guys, I Feel Much Better. But I Do Have A Slight Oil Leak, So I Guess I'll Have It Checked Out Just To Make Sure And Get Any Repairs Necessary. I'm Really No The Most Mechanically Inclined Person, Prob The Worst On This Site For Sure. Lol!

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
everyone has to start somewhere. there was a point in everyone heres life when they knew absolutely nothing about their trucks.

if its something you'd like to get into, i'd suggest picking up a haynes repair manual for your truck. its a good way to learn how to do basic maintainance and repair jobs yourself. not only does it save you money, but it gives you the satisfaction of knowing you did the job with your own two hands :icon_cheers:

CaliRanger1989

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
double post :buttkick: :D

id like to clarify southerns statement. the stock oil pressure gauges arent unreliable...they are utterly useless. they serve the same function as an oil light...anything above 6-8PSI and the gauge reads "normal", anything below that it reads "low". nothing in between. the fact that your gauge is fluctuating is more indicative of an electrical problem (bad ground, low voltage, ect) then an oil pressure problem.

if you verify your oil pressure with a real gauge, you'll probably discover you have nothing to worry about.
Is there any way to correct the guage's reading if it is a bad ground? My personal mechanic took a look and stated the best way to correct my problem is to replace the guage (meaning the whole dashboard) entirely.

Jspafford

Logan Andrew Feb 17, 2012
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevy 3500HD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
6.6L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
5"
Tire Size
35"
There is nothing you can do to make the guage "real" meaning, make it anything more than a dummy guage. By the time it reads into the red zone, it is already too late.

Best thing to do is go to the local auto store and most of them carry in stock Sunpro Oil Pressure Guages. It comes with all you will need to install it.

You will then always know exactally what your oil pressure is.

Once you install it you will be amazed. Contrary to what the guage in the dash says, the oil pressure is ALWAYS fluctuating. At idle it will be lower, higher you rev, the higher it gets, the colder it is the higher it gets, etc.

Southern3.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'96
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3, what a turd...
Transmission
Manual
There is nothing you can do to make the guage "real" meaning, make it anything more than a dummy guage. By the time it reads into the red zone, it is already too late.

Best thing to do is go to the local auto store and most of them carry in stock Sunpro Oil Pressure Guages. It comes with all you will need to install it.

You will then always know exactally what your oil pressure is.

Once you install it you will be amazed. Contrary to what the guage in the dash says, the oil pressure is ALWAYS fluctuating. At idle it will be lower, higher you rev, the higher it gets, the colder it is the higher it gets, etc.
+1 on the sun pro if you want an actually oil pressure reading

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
Is there any way to correct the guage's reading if it is a bad ground?
ya, fix the bad ground :D

the sending unit is grounded through its threads. if it was removed at some point and installed with too much teflon tape, it would cause gauge problems.

aside from that, checking your motor, body, and battery terminal grounds might be a good idea.

There is nothing you can do to make the guage "real" meaning, make it anything more than a dummy guage.
not exactly.

there actually IS a way to make the gauge function as a "gauge" by bypassing a resistor behind the gauge cluster, and replacing the stock sender with a replacement sender from an aftermarket electric pressure gauge.

but even so, the gauge doesnt have any numbers on it...so it really wont tell you any more then the dummy gauge does.

Jspafford

Logan Andrew Feb 17, 2012
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevy 3500HD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
6.6L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
5"
Tire Size
35"
If I am going to go through all that trouble, I prefer a mechanical guage anyway. I mean it's oil pressure, there doesn't need to be any sort of electrical components to guage PSI.

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
i agree 100%

just wanted to make sure all of the OP's options were on the table :icon_cheers:

Black_Splash

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
there actually IS a way to make the gauge function as a "gauge" by bypassing a resistor behind the gauge cluster
I thought not all years were like that, that the older ones don't have a resistor.

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
not sure when, if, ford did away with the resistor. my '93's got one :dntknw:

Black_Splash

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
I just thought I heard somewhere that the older trucks didn't have a resistor. My 94 probably does have one then?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals