• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

one ton front axle

86MUDRCJ

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Is it me or are they rediculously over priced? If I can't find one what can I use under a v8 comfortably?

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
Is it me or are they rediculously over priced? If I can't find one what can I use under a v8 comfortably?
No, Its not just you. Some people think they are made of gold.

The fact that its a v8 isnt the only factor, what size tire and how hard do you use it?

86MUDRCJ

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Probly 37's and it wont be driven to hard but I have been known to get a case of leadfoot every now and then.

wahlstrom1

J-man HD Mech
OTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
Keep searching for a good deal, I've found them in the $800 range quite often and with a lil more searching (and a willingness to go balljoints vs kingpins) you can get them for $500.

crazywhiteboy

May 2011 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Keep searching for a good deal, I've found them in the $800 range quite often and with a lil more searching (and a willingness to go balljoints vs kingpins) you can get them for $500.
all depends on what you are looking for and being patient. i was on pirate and craigslist almost everyday for two months and finally found '79 hp d60 fully built(minus inner c's and knuckles) for 2500. so its not impossible, just hard to find, especially without patience.

86MUDRCJ

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
What are kingpins and why do they make the axles so expensive? It seems like that's all I can find.
all depends on what you are looking for and being patient. i was on pirate and craigslist almost everyday for two months and finally found '79 hp d60 fully built(minus inner c's and knuckles) for 2500. so its not impossible, just hard to find, especially without patience.
Its gonna cost that much to build it!? :icon_surprised:

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
kingpin dana 60 would be the perfect choice IMO.. kingpins are REAL axles. balljoints are annoying! lol..

a kingpin 60 just sold locally for $300... complete. not 4.10's but.. still.

and no, it doesn't have to take $2500 to rebuild, that was probably gussets, gears, locker, alloys, u-joints and all..

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
The king pin vs balljoint debate is kinda a moot point ass far ass I'm concerned. It being a kingpin axle does not make it any stronger. Pretty much all the aftermarket builders of D60's (like dynatrac) are using balljoints on their axles. The main advantage to a kingpin axle is the ability to add a true high steer cheaper than on a balljoint axle.

I'm building a 1994 ball joint high pinion D60 out of an f350. I picked it up for $100 at a local scrap yard. Look around, you will find a deal somewhere. Sometimes it is cheaper to buy a complete truck to get the axle and then sell off everything you don't need to recoup some money.

Either way I still say its gonna be around 1500-2000 to rebuild it depending on the choices you make.

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
I wouldn't be worried if it was a balljoint axle. Everyone jst wants the kingpin.

86MUDRCJ

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Well all the ones I see for sale are the kingpins so I guess its a good thing? The average price is about 900 bucks so I guess I gotta start savin. Lol

Bennybooster

EMT / Paramedic
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If you are asking these questions are you sure you can even handle this swap?

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
Everyone has to start learning somewhere. I praise him for wanting to start with a beefy axle rather than try to climb the ladder by starting with upgrading the stock axle, breaking it, then upgrading axles, then breaking it, then upgrading again only to have it break, and finally upgrading to the mother of all axles....the ford 60

SVT

86MUDRCJ

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If you are asking these questions are you sure you can even handle this swap?
Honestly I've never have done a was on a pickup before let alone a set of 1 tons but I want a v8 and if the truck is already apart why not built it right and strong as hell the first time? My Fab skills are pretty decent, I have all the tools to do the swap. Plus I like a challenge.
Everyone has to start learning somewhere. I praise him for wanting to start with a beefy axle rather than try to climb the ladder by starting with upgrading the stock axle, breaking it, then upgrading axles, then breaking it, then upgrading again only to have it break, and finally upgrading to the mother of all axles....the ford 60

SVT
Of course this will be with tons of trial and error but I want to do it.I will have plenty of questions I'm sure along the way.I just want to make sure I've got everything I could possibly need before I start ripping the truck apart.
Thanks bud :icon_thumby:

crazywhiteboy

May 2011 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I praise him for wanting to start with a beefy axle rather than try to climb the ladder by starting with upgrading the stock axle, breaking it, then upgrading axles, then breaking it, then upgrading again only to have it break, and finally upgrading to the mother of all axles....the ford 60

SVT
i wish i had been smart enough to do that. but then agian i got the 1/2 tons for free and made money on them

86MUDRCJ

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I can get a 10.25 for 150... is that good for one those?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals