• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Opinions welcome

Tberry

Law Enforcement
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Hello everyone,

Last year, I purchased an 85 Ranger equipped with a 2.8 V6 engine, A4LD transmission, and BW1350 transfer case. However, the engine was worn out, prompting my plans for a V8 swap. I had a 302 engine built and sourced an AOD transmission from a junkyard. Unfortunately, the AOD turned out to be faulty, and I'm becoming tired with the project. At this point, I simply want a functioning Ranger.

Fortunately, I obtained a free 82 Bronco that is operational but has accumulated 280,000 miles. Given its condition, it seems fitting to utilize the 302 engine in the Bronco and have the AOD rebuilt for it instead of the Ranger.

This decision leaves me with the old A4LD transmission and BW1350 transfer case, which could be reinstalled in the Ranger. However, I'm undecided on whether to opt for a rebuilt 2.8, 2.9, or aim for the 4.0 engine. My preference is to retain the existing A4LD transmission and transfer case for simplicity and cost-effectiveness. Therefore, I'm seeking advice on which engine option would be most suitable for my needs.

Thanks

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
simplicity and cost-effectiveness
Since you mentioned that . . .

A rebuilt 2.8 would seem to be the easiest.

A 2.9, or a 4.0, would require some rewiring, and some fuel replumbing, of the truck to support the change from carbureted to EFI.

A rebuild may look like more up-front cost, but by the time you deal with the needed changes for the other motors, and run down all of needed "associated parts" for the changes, a rebuild may actually be more cost effective.

A rebuild would definitely be less labor intensive, to R&R, so simpler. And a 2.8 ain't really a bad motor, either.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
If rebuild the 2.8, make sure your distributor is in good shape, and that you can find all the parts you need first. And if you plan to duraspark it, that you can find the correct distributor.

gaz

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
87Ranger Endrigo 2.9l, 87BII Endrigo 4.0l
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Ranger 5" (2" suspension), BII 4" suspension
Total Drop
Ranger 5sp, BII A4LD
Tire Size
Ranger 33"/4:10LS, BII 29"/3:73LS
My credo
Deengineer until it is how Blue Oval should have sold it!!
@Tberry ,
- The 2.8 rebuild is no doubt the cheapest route; I presume parts for 2.8l are getting scarce.
- The 2.9l has the highest potential fuel economy but you would need both it's engine bay/cab wire harnesses and the PCM (preferably for an automatic). Parts for 2.9l are getting harder to find.
- The 4.0l swap project will cost the most but will arguably offer the best return and has the best parts availability; you will require both engine bay/cab wire harnesses, the PCM for the engine you use, fuel pump and to make the decision whether to use the donor vehicle's dash/column or love rewiring.

Tberry

Law Enforcement
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Since you mentioned that . . .

A rebuilt 2.8 would seem to be the easiest.

A 2.9, or a 4.0, would require some rewiring, and some fuel replumbing, of the truck to support the change from carbureted to EFI.

A rebuild may look like more up-front cost, but by the time you deal with the needed changes for the other motors, and run down all of needed "associated parts" for the changes, a rebuild may actually be more cost effective.

A rebuild would definitely be less labor intensive, to R&R, so simpler. And a 2.8 ain't really a bad motor, either.
Do you have a recommended supplier? Unfortunately the old 2.8 is gone because I went all in...

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
1985-1987/88 A4LD only has 1 solenoid to lock torque converter, TCC solenoid
In 1988/89 a 2nd solenoid was added, for OD, 3-4 shift solenoid

4.0l came out in 1990 Rangers..............so its computer would need the 2 solenoid A4LD
So if the goal was to make use of the 1985 A4LD then go with a 2.8l or 2.9l with pre-1988 computer

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals