• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Over heating

warrior24

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I got some overheating issues Replaced the clutch and fan, flushed coolant and new t-stat ( yes it has a hole in it so no vapour lock). So I get hot air when I turn on the heater to cool it down, the heater air temp is very close to the water temperature reading. This makes me think my heater core is not plugged. But leads me to believe my radiator is plugged, or water pump. Any way to be sure its the radiator. I am getting a high temp of 240.

Last edited:

Big Jim M

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Howdy W24

When does it reach 240? Does it PUKE it's coolant out? Does the temp go down to normal under different circumstances? How do you KNOW the temp is 240? Does it have a 195* thermostat in it or lower? It does need the 195* in it..
If it doesn't lose it's coolant your problem may be the gauge is not telling the truth to you.
Big JIm :wub::hottubfun:

Last edited:

warrior24

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
It reaches 240* during stop and go traffic.No it does not puke any coolant. When I am on the free-way 60-65mph it goes down to normal. It does have a 195* t-stat.

nitrofan1

Man without a Ranger
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Subaru
Engine Size
EJ251
Transmission
Automatic
Poor man's visual. When it's cold start it and pop the cap. Look for flow of the coolant as it warms up. When the stat opens you should see movement of the coolant. Get a flashlight handy just in case you don't have direct light into the radiator. If no flow is seen then you have a plug up some where. Get it to a radiator shop for a pro flushing and hopefully that will handle it. They can also pressure check the system too.

Big Jim M

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I wouldn't give it a second thought.

It reaches 240* during stop and go traffic.No it does not puke any coolant. When I am on the free-way 60-65mph it goes down to normal. It does have a 195* t-stat.
Sounds normal to me.. If it don't puke and runs in NORMAL at hiway speeds I'd not think aboout it again. Might just be an overly sensitive sending unit.
If it really had problems it WOULD PUKE!

big91explorer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Do you have the fan shroud on? Or electric fans?

warrior24

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Yes fan shroud its non electric. I was having same issues before I replaced the stock cracked fan with an after market metal one.

Big Jim M

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yes fan shroud its non electric. I was having same issues before I replaced the stock cracked fan with an after market metal one.
Another question... Is your gauge marked 240? If not how do you know the temp is 240?

warrior24

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
yeah its marked 240 I have an after market one. Would it be possible that since I have one of my transmission cooler lines with a drip around 3 tbsp while parked thus causing the torque converter to not operate as effective since its loosing pressure resulting in the engine work harder thus overheat.

Last edited:

Big Jim M

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Nope!

yeah its marked 240 I have an after market one. Would it be possible that since I have one of my transmission cooler lines with a drip around 3 tbsp while parked thus causing the torque converter to not operate as effective since its loosing pressure resulting in the engine work harder thus overheat.
Not likely.. I wouldn't be trusting that gauge one bit! What you are seeing is zackly why MOPAR and others don't put temps on their gauges.. A simple N-O-R-M-A-L written in the center of the gauge doesn't scare folks like having specefic temps marks does.
Always remember the engine can take 300 or more degrees and actually run BETTER at those high temps. What can't take them temps is the water based coolant!
If it don't puke...forget about it.. Maybe install another brand of gauge to see if the one you have now is lieing to you.

warrior24

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Ok I used a candy thermometer stuck into the radiator and got like 7 Degrees less than what my gauge was reading. So are you suggesting I run some coolant that isn't water based? Although I did get it to puke with the radiator cap off but that was to be expected.

Big Jim M

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Nope!

Ok I used a candy thermometer stuck into the radiator and got like 7 Degrees less than what my gauge was reading. So are you suggesting I run some coolant that isn't water based? Although I did get it to puke with the radiator cap off but that was to be expected.
I'm saying you have an imagined problem.. Your ride will most likely stay in the NORMAL range on your stock gauge! You have installed another gauge that is alarming you unnecessarily. Wait until it pukes out it's coolant and then worry about what caused the overheating. The temp rise in stop and go traffic in the middle of summer is NORMAL!
As for coolant that won't boil.. PURE ethylene glycol will get icy/slushy at around 0* F. But it won't boil till about 400*.. So if you don't expect your ride to see below 0*, running pure ethylene glycol would be advised for all engines.
Since the pure ethylene glycol doesn't have water in it and is an oily liquid your coolant pump will last nearly forever and there will no NO RUST in the engine. Adding water to ethylene glycol actually lowers the temperature at which it begins to turn to an icy/slushy mixture.
Here in central Texas I always use the pure stuff and never mix water in it. I have visited all the western mountain states in the fall early winter with no bad results. However I am aware that the pure ethylene glycol will freeze and bust engines in certain parts of this country.
I do own a Bobcat. My Bobcat has about 5 gallons of 40W oil in it. This 5 gallons is circulated thru all the engine components. It goes thru the cooling jackets and thru the radiator and then thru the engine lubricating it.. THAT is all that is in there! 40W oil! So see, water isn't needed to cool an engine.

warrior24

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Ok thanks guys I just wont pay as much attention to the temps.

warrior24

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Update it officially puked. Now what? Radiator or water-pump?

el_conquistador

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L OHV
Transmission
Automatic
All this talk of "puking" I thought we were talking about a 6.0L powerstroke.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals