• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Overland ranger wannabe

Northidahotrailblazer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
8 inches
Tire Size
37"
Well I bought a roof top tent for it. I am really limited on space. haha This is my start. I guess this has been my goal I've been moving to without knowing it. It was fun and I hope to do it more. My goal is to get the old B2 going again and set it up, Because I really don't have enough room in my stubby ranger but for the few nights I spent on it it worked. Having another rig with make it so the whole family could go. Need to figure out how to get a 12v fridge on it and water and a spare tire and really I think I'm golden. which I can mount water cans to my rack no issues, The fridge well I have a few ideas and the spare tire I have an idea on how to do that also. I love my ranger. You can do anything if you try hard enough.

Attachments

Last edited:

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Keep water tank as LOW as possible, off-road center of gravity is important
"A pint is a pound the world around"
8 pints in a gallon of water, so 8 pounds a gallon
10 gallon tank will be 80lbs on the side of a hill.....................so under the bed, and if you put it near exhaust you could have a warm shower when you park to camp, lol

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3 liters of tire smoking power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
Grew up in the 70s, 80s, and 90s
thats the coolest flat bed ranger i have ever seen

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I second Ron’s comment. Keep all weight as low as you can and if you must put things on the roof, the lighter the better. Especially with a lifted vehicle.

Especially if you are going with a commercially available rack for the roof. The max load rating they publish is for on road only. If they list an off road rating, it’s in the fine print and is 1/3 to 1/2 less than the on road rating. Many a person learned that lesson after their roof rack ripped off and ended up damaging to vehicle and the contents on the rack.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
Pretty cool man... looks like a vestibule could be used under the flipped open portion of the RTT.

I'm also certain I would likely break my neck on those milk crate steps.

Northidahotrailblazer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
8 inches
Tire Size
37"
I'm still brain storming, but I don't want to haul a lot of water. Just maybe a couple of those couple 4 in PVC tubes that people do for custom water little water tanks. I just have no room under the bed. If I did I would of put my fuel cell under the bed. I put it in my black tool box. I built everything as low as I could and the shock mounts are pretty much where a tank would go. I want to put my doubler on at one point also so that takes up even more room.

I don't want a roof rack. This thing is already almost to high lol I can put a few things on my tent rack. Its built plenty good enough. 1.5 tubing, 3/16s thick. Its what I built my flat bed out of. Plenty strong enough. A fridge or full size cooler, needs to go on some how. I think If i put a smaller tool box or build a smaller one, I can side a cooler next to it. And my next Idea, for the spare tire is just to build a bolt on, rear tire mount. Kinda like a Bronco 2. I don't have any recovery points on the back. I was in a rush and just forgot to put any and I want to put a receiver hitch and I could build a swinging tire mount. Idk well see I'm still brain storming on it. Right now It sucks, because right now, there 4 of us in my family. My twin 2 year old boys and my wife. Car seats don't fit in the back of the ranger. lol I tried. haha hard no. So right now I took one out and left the other at home. With the bronco 2 going I could set that thing up with another tent and I could haul the kits in that and we would just go with two rigs. I don't need some time to think. Ive got the bronco in the shop now. Its just not going to be fast well. I just need my boys to get a little bigger so they can ride in the booster seats. Well see haha

BroncLander

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XLS Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
I like what you're doing here. Similar goals myself. I bought mine to live in while I go overlanding. I just bought it many many hours from where home currently is so I've been living in it, boondocking since day one.

It's good that I'm not a tall guy or I'd have issues. But I can actually stretch out in it and have a nice thick foam in it and the usual camp gear, cooking supplies. And a ton of fishing gear.

I was going to build a bunk for it, but after a few days in it I realized that if I did so, I wouldn't be able to sit up straight on it. So instead I'm doing a sort of desk/under storage area to have my house battery/inverter/charge controller and powerbar. I need to be able to set up my laptop and edit videos, watch movies on rainy days.

I'm converting my tire swingout to hold fuel and I've been pondering adding a small diesel tank and getting a little heater.

I don't really need much. Just a simple man trying to make my way in the universe.

Northidahotrailblazer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
8 inches
Tire Size
37"
I've slept in the back of my B2, really didn't mind it at all. Yeah its tight but not that bad. I just really want to fit a 12v cooler on mine. Thats really all I need. You should look into a roof top tent. It would give you a ton more storage, and my tent goes up in 5 mins and down in around that. I really like mine.

Northidahotrailblazer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
8 inches
Tire Size
37"
Added some canopies. Had to try them out so I did a quick one night trip. Its #3 night in the roof top tent. This time with the wife. I really couldn't really say anything negative about it. It nice to be off the ground. Still working on ideas on water and a 12v cooler. I'm just going to build tanks out of 4in or 6in PVC. Im not spending 150 bucks on tanks. I can build something that should work.

Attachments

BroncLander

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XLS Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Added some canopies. Had to try them out so I did a quick one night trip. Its #3 night in the roof top tent. This time with the wife. I really couldn't really say anything negative about it. It nice to be off the ground. Still working on ideas on water and a 12v cooler. I'm just going to build tanks out of 4in or 6in PVC. Im not spending 150 bucks on tanks. I can build something that should work.
That's a sweet setup. It's a whole home away from home

Northidahotrailblazer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
8 inches
Tire Size
37"
Got myself a diesel heater. It sits outside and you run ducking up to the tent. Should work really good really. Pretty happy with it. I have an overland event at the end of the month I'm taking the kiddos to so I really need heat for that. this should work good!

Attachments

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals