• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

INFO Parking Brake Problem

MAJ_WOOD

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
None
Total Drop
Never
Tire Size
225 75R15
My credo
I Can Save It!!!!
I have a 1990 Ford Ranger with the extended cab and when It the rear axle was trash so I thought I found a replacement and took it all apart to take as a core for the new one then drove 3 hours and it was the wrong one long story short a year later I found the right axle and got it but it was missing everything I replaced the brakes their 9in drums and got 2 new parking cables hook them up in the drums and ran them up to under the frame where the old ones were about even with the fuel filler cap on the body but for the life of me I can't remember how they went back together it have a weird bracket that has 2 holes on 1 side and 1 on the other one of the new cables has a threaded end I know that the front cable from the cab and the 2 from the rear have to hook up with this bracket but I can't figure it out or where the bracket mounts I found a diagram on another thread with a small illustration if you have an XLT or Super Cab or something but it doesn't give me the picture of real life where does everything go and I have spent hours trying to find a picture on the internet of the connection but it's like it doesn't exist only thing I can find is 94 and up but it looks nothing like what I have I also went to 3 different junk yards trying to find an old ranger to crawl under and find my information but the owners of the yards said they don't have very many older cars cause the Biden administration gives them extra money to scrap old cars maybe that's why it took me a year to find and axle 3.73 gears with a 7.5" ring gear with 10" brakes had to drive 3 states away and pay 500 bucks for one but it only had 9" brakes, that's what I get for buying a fixer upper but I can't let the wife be right that it will never move so if any one here can help me with a picture of how these 3 parking cables come together and where they mount I would love you forever.

Side note don't know why it took me forever to make an account I have used this forum for years while I have been putting my ranger back together slowly that part about all the axle codes on the drivers door and how to read the tag on the differential was amazing knowledge it's how I found out my truck was supposed to have 10'' brakes but I couldn't find that axle anywhere so 9'' for me I also thought maybe I could change the backing plates on the axle to the 10" backing plates then mount 10" brakes but couldn't find them and with a serious lack of parts in my junk yards or part stores it's been rough. But this place has amazing knowledge of my favorite truck was finally able to get a 1990 xlt ranger a few years ago and it has been slow going trying to get it going again it has some dents i need to get removed but there's no rust I really want to put a red interior in it because the passenger seat is broke but again can't find one where I could get it for mine I would have to buy a running truck where's the fun in that

MAJ_WOOD

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
None
Total Drop
Never
Tire Size
225 75R15
My credo
I Can Save It!!!!
I can't post a picture of my truck it says the images are to big

Terrys87

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I have an 88 extended cab and I know what you are talking about with the weird bracket under there. Mine is not right. Next time I get to the salvage yard, I want to see how it is to go as mine is messed up as well. Hopefully someone will post a picture of theirs on your post as I need the same picture as well.

MAJ_WOOD

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
None
Total Drop
Never
Tire Size
225 75R15
My credo
I Can Save It!!!!
I know the bracket and 3 cables come together and mount somewhere lol

Attachments

MAJ_WOOD

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
None
Total Drop
Never
Tire Size
225 75R15
My credo
I Can Save It!!!!
Some more pictures don't mind the mat the wife put it there because she said it would never move lol

Attachments

tw205

Bronco II Rancher.
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6” skyjacker 2” body
Tire Size
33x12.5

MAJ_WOOD

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
None
Total Drop
Never
Tire Size
225 75R15
My credo
I Can Save It!!!!
Dam I had that soooo wrong I was trying to bolt the bracket to the frame Thank You so much

MAJ_WOOD

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
None
Total Drop
Never
Tire Size
225 75R15
My credo
I Can Save It!!!!
Do you have one a little farther back so I can see where to run the cables?

tw205

Bronco II Rancher.
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6” skyjacker 2” body
Tire Size
33x12.5
My rig is a BII and it has a 6" lift so I had to be creative running the cables. I'm not sure if they are in the factory position.
20240502_203209.jpg

MAJ_WOOD

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
None
Total Drop
Never
Tire Size
225 75R15
My credo
I Can Save It!!!!
Looks better then my zip tie idea many thanks

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals