• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Payload increase, hanger flip

jobar

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 liter
Transmission
Manual
I was changing the rear gear oil last night, and got to looking at the rear leaf springs. I remember in the tech library it said that if you flip the rear hanger, it will lower the truck. But what if I were to flip the hanger, and add leaves to the pack to bring it back up to stock height.

The idea is to add more leaves to the pack without lifting the rear of the truck to increase payload. I dont know if its possible, but does anybody see anything wrong with this. Or am I completely wrong.

Rallytruck69

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Too many
Make / Model
Ford All Ford
Engine Size
I wish they all could be 5.0s
Transmission
Manual
Your rear springs dont determine your maxium payload. Its a combo of axles, springs, frame, gears, and brakes. fliping the rear shackle does not result in more travel, just better spring control. If you want to tow more I would suggest buying a new truck. Im currently looking for a F250 myself. ill keep the ranger, it fits offroad better. Good luck with what ever you choose to do.

jobar

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 liter
Transmission
Manual
I was just wondering if I was onto something. It just came out of the blue. I know its a combination of those things. Thanks Rally.

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
the amount of leaves you would have to add to get back to stock height after flipping the hangers would be crazy. the truck would have no rear suspension when the bed was empty...and would still ride very rough when fully loaded.

if you want to stiffen the rear, you can add a single leaf without gaining that much height. you'd be surprised the difference just one leaf will make in the ride.

you also have the option of adding airbags or overloads...which will leave your un-loaded ride largly unchanged, but allow you to maintain ride height when loaded.

keep in mind that none of this will increase your payload. it'll just make the same payload more controlable.

nothing wrong with towing or hauling with a ranger. it is a truck after all and thats what it was built for. a lot of people like to use towing or hauling as an excuse to run out and buy a fullsize, but judging by the loads ive seen some f-series trucks carying/towing, its usually not needed.

jobar

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 liter
Transmission
Manual
Well I looked up new leaf springs for my ranger on LMC truck, and all they have are 4 pack, or 5 pack leaf springs. The ones on my truck are 3, cant figure out why. So, I was told a while back that if you add leaf to the pack it will lift the truck. So, I thought about the flip hanger thing, and I would buy the 5 or 4 pack to bring the truck back up to stock height.

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
adding leaves to a stock pack does increase ride height. but adding one leaf isnt going to increase it by much (probably less than 1").

those packs your looking at from LMC might be re-arched to provide a stiffer pack the maintains stock ride height. even if they arent, i dont think they would be enough to make up the height lost by a shackle flip (it would take a whole lotta leaves to make up several inches of ride height).

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You could use 4x4 lift blocks to help get some height, but it will still be a lot of work to get it to get it close to even being level.

If you want a little more heft to your springs you might get a set of Explorer springs, they are a little stronger and will add at most 2" of ride height.

therieldeal

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
the shackle flip is supposed to lower the truck 2", explorer leaf springs are supposed to raise the truck 1-1.5". a small block or something and you'd be back up to stock height...

jobar

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 liter
Transmission
Manual
adding leaves to a stock pack does increase ride height. but adding one leaf isnt going to increase it by much (probably less than 1").

those packs your looking at from LMC might be re-arched to provide a stiffer pack the maintains stock ride height. even if they arent, i dont think they would be enough to make up the height lost by a shackle flip (it would take a whole lotta leaves to make up several inches of ride height).

Is there any other web site that sells them. Your right they may be re-arched. I guess ill switch to the 4 pack, if its less than an inch of height.

At LMC they sell the leaf springs for years 83-95. 95 is the same body style as mine right. So would they fit mine. Thats why I asked for another web site. Because they dont have them for 96 and up.

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
93-97 is the same body style and suspension...i dont know why LMC has a year break there...but be cautious anyway just in case ford did something weird.

if it were me, i would go the cheap route. hit your local junkyard and remove the main leaves from another ranger pack, lop off the eyes, and install them under your current main leaves.

jobar

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 liter
Transmission
Manual
93-97 is the same body style and suspension...i dont know why LMC has a year break there...but be cautious anyway just in case ford did something weird.

if it were me, i would go the cheap route. hit your local junkyard and remove the main leaves from another ranger pack, lop off the eyes, and install them under your current main leaves.
I think im gonna try your way there Wicked. Im gonna make a 4 leaf pack and see what happens. The bolt that holds the individual leafs together, do you know how long it is, seeing how im moving from 3 leaves to 4, and need a longer bolt.

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
i dont know how long the stock leaf centering bolt is. any auto parts store should have a decent selection in stock. grab a handfull and return what you dont use.

grey ghost

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
most center bolts are way to long for the spring packs and will need trimed off. i did the exact same thing on a '92 ranger about 2 years ago and had to trim off about 2 inches of bolt when i compressed the springs with the new bolt.. the bolts that advanced auto gave me were about 5 inches long..

roc0999

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1998 Ford Range
Transmission
Manual
I picked up a pair of 32" springs from a 02 sport trac from my local junkyard for 6.00 each, it added like 2" but they had alot more bend to them then stock, it was a little bit trickey to align them all up but I liked the overall outcome, just to help when towing my trailer

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals