• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

picking up a new toy tomorrow

LittleHorse

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
I know there's a motorcycle thread floating around here somewhere but felt like posting a new thread.

Got the sales contract paperwork done, driving down to Texas to pick this baby up tomorrow. 2008 H-D Sportster XL1200 Nightster (say that 5 times fast) in Olive denim (harleys word for flat/matte) w/ 4,200 miles.

I'm not a big ape hanger fan, so he's actually swapping on some drag bars for me before I go get it. Crash bars are coming off too, they don't fit the direction I'm going with the bike. This is my first Harley, I never was a fan before but I like the whole cafe and bobber movement and this is a good bike to start with; fuel injected, huge aftermarket and cheaper than a Triumph.

Was going on Saturday but a nasty ice/snow storm is expected to hit on Thursday so if I don't go before it could be mid next week before I'd be able to get out of here.

Hopman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Sharp looking bike! Not too much chrome either. Unlike some people I think there IS such a thing is too much. Chrome is like salt in a dish: just the right ammount can add alot, but too much ruins it.

HardcoreKeith

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Duratec 23
Transmission
Manual
Very nice. I think I agree with all your choices on that. The crash bars have no place on a Sportster. That's fuel injected, huh? The FI is part of the reason why I got my '03 Suzuki SV650 (the naked one). :headbang:

daniel3507

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Damn that is a bad ass looking bike

dburton07

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.Ugh
Transmission
Automatic
One of the engineers at my work has one, except all black. His has drag bars and looks sexy. :icon_thumby:

LittleHorse

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
agreed. That's basically why I never was interested in a Harley until I discovered these.

Just about the only chrome on the whole bike is the wheel spokes, exhaust and the rear shock absorber bodies. The rest of the shiny stuff is polished aluminum. And the exhaust is getting changed anyway, either brushed stainless or black depending on which one I go with.

LittleHorse

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
Very nice. I think I agree with all your choices on that. The crash bars have no place on a Sportster. That's fuel injected, huh? The FI is part of the reason why I got my '03 Suzuki SV650 (the naked one). :headbang:
Yep, the Sportster line went all EFI in '07, and the big twins and V-Rod got it a few years earlier, maybe around '03 but I'm not sure 'cause I haven't reserached those much. After having a few carb'd bikes I decided I wanted to try out fuel injection for a change.

I really like the naked SV650 also, wanted one of those for a long time before I got a wild hair and went in a totally different direction. About 6 months ago I was torn between an SV650, a Sportster, and a Triumph Street Triple 675. About the only thing they all had in common was two wheels and EFI. :icon_twisted: I imagine I'll probably own one of each at some point in my life (not at the same time though).

My last bike was a Suzuki DR Z400 Supermoto. Have to admit I'm going to miss that motocross suspension on these rough roads, but I won't miss running down the highway with a single cyl screaming at 8k RPM.

WNY964x4

ASE Master Certified
Supporting Member
Firefighter
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
72-03
Make / Model
Chevy,Ford,BMW
Engine Size
alot of different ones
i am in no way a harley fan ( I have 2 Honda's ) but that is a sharp lookin bike

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
Sweet!

Personally, I really like these style of bars on those bikes, maybe a little taller

86 slo-vo

02/2011 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
one of the few harleys i like...agreed the bars are ugly along with the crash bar

TheBeast

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1995, 1970
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Thats badass. I'm not a big bike fan. Sport bikes are nice, but thats pretty slick. I really like it

Jason

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
(formerly) 200
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Not bad to look at. Report back on how it is to actually ride.

LittleHorse

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
will do.

First operation when I get it home will be to tuck the wire harness under the tank and relocate the coil and ignition key to the clutch side of the engine. It really cleans up the space between the motor and tank.

For example - this bike is one of my major inspirations:

HardcoreKeith

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Duratec 23
Transmission
Manual
After having a few carb'd bikes I decided I wanted to try out fuel injection for a change.
I'm sure you'll love it. I definitely don't miss the choke lever or the fuel petcock :D

daniel3507

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
The seat and bars on the second bike look outstanding. Oh and good luck with the coming storm. Im not looking forward to it

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals