• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Port and polish

Edgefevah

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
What is everyone's opinion on port and polishing with a deemed tool if you don't have access to a air die grinder?

I'm looking at the dremel 3000 tool

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Polishing would be OK, porting might take some time depending on the amount of metal that needs to be removed.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Are you sure that you want to port and polish? I had considered doing it on the 99 that I'm about to rebuild the motor in. Have decided not to because it will affect the power band too much. Mine is a 4x4 truck that I use as a 4x4 truck. Need to keep the low and mid range power, not much needed on the high end where the porting would have been beneficial. As for polishing, only do it on the exhaust side. It's okay to clean up any rough casting marks on the intake side, but you want to leave it with a kinda rough finish. In the exhaust side polishing can help with flow, but in the intake side it can hurt fuel atomization.

As for using a dremel, sure it'll do the job. Really it'll do the job almost as well as an air grinder, just might take a little longer. Many of the bits would be the same for either tool. If I were going to buy a dremel for it I'd pick up the most powerful one you could get. Personally I think I'd also get one of these: 225-01 Flex Shaft Attachment

Edgefevah

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Yeah I more then likely won't polish it much only smooth it out, for the most part I'll be gasket matching and smoothing out any casting crap. The most powerful one they have is 35,000RPM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

truckerdawg

Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4"
Tire Size
31X10.50
What do you need? Or want? If a few extra horses then yes with just moderation and port matching on the grinding part for the intake and exhaust ports and runners. But polishing ( to me) seems a waste of a lot of time. Take a look at you heads' exhaust runners a year after being run on the vehicle and you will find not a smooth runner but a crud coated runner just like a non-polished runner. And then you will say to yourself that was a ton of hours making that runner baby smooth for nothing. But really I cannot imagine the need for more than the aftermarket enginequest heads, comp cams bigger cam, and headers with a good exhaust(no restrictions catch my drift) and port matching. Maybe a little smoothing around the valve stem bosses would be all.

turbo2256b

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
A dremel will work started with one (actually more than one) in the mid 60s. Started with U comtrol airplane engines, then go karts , lawn mowers, then cars.
Issues with them is first the tools they sell for them are pricy and wear out quick. Think I rember sometimes one or two cutters just to do one port and that would be the rough cut.

How I port heads for low end torq is usally just bowl port the heads and blend in the short side radii. Back cut the valves. Done correctly by a pro without even changing another thing can pick up a lot of low end tork.
Have found port matching dosent realy do much in most cases. Which wall to port match and which not to can be more important if done at all.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals