• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Post pics. of 17''s on lifted Rangers

mhughes165

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
We were working the brakes and replaced the caliper, went to put the wheel back on and it wouldn't turn. Looked at the old caliper and it had been ground so we had to grind the new one.

Actually it was a 1981 2wd Camper Special Chevy. We also have a '80, I got them mixed up.
yep, im aware of the modifications that are required, i said that i can do it, 17's will jsut never be a size for offroad vehicles that actually see offroad use....

silveranger93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Ok so take a 15" wheel with a 33" tire...that gives 9" of sidewall

Now take a 17" wheel with a 35" tire...that gives 9" of sidewall

Or take a 17" wheel and a a 42" tire...that gives 12.5" of sidewall

There's nothing wrong with 17's on an offroad truck, as long as the tires are large enough. Large wheels and small tires are dumb, but large wheels and large tires are ok.

kevinsranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Automatic
Ok so take a 15" wheel with a 33" tire...that gives 9" of sidewall

Now take a 17" wheel with a 35" tire...that gives 9" of sidewall

Or take a 17" wheel and a a 42" tire...that gives 12.5" of sidewall

There's nothing wrong with 17's on an offroad truck, as long as the tires are large enough. Large wheels and small tires are dumb, but large wheels and large tires are ok.
larger rims are heavier and put more strain on your brakes.

mhughes165

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
were talkin about rangers here, not other trucks that can be lifted more, the average ranger will never be on tires bigger then 35's.

and can not airdown 17's with 35's as they will pop off the rim time and time again, you can air down 15's with 35's all day long....

im just saying, for us on a ranger, its not practical for a lifted ranger

and ud have to run a 2" larger tire to have the same sidewall as a 2" smaller tire has on a 15" rim...

its what i did for a living for 5 years....the only people that ever got bigger then 16.5 when there truck was lifted was "show" trucks

Last edited:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have 38" rims on the back of one of my tractors and have had that thing in worse places than I would ever take a truck, I have even pulled stuck 4x4 trucks out with all 20hp/4500lbs of it, never rolled a bead or had it anything goofy like that. It is a 1946 model with stock size rims/tires and 10lbs of air so it isn't like it is ahead of the curve either.

Not to mention the military sure takes their vehicles off road, and they don't have 15's or 16's on all of their stuff either.

Tires with a bigger hole in the middle cost a little more, but I bet people were grumping in the 60's about how much more 15's where than 14's.

silveranger93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
How well a wheel/tire combo holds a bead has almost nothing to do with the wheel diameter. It depends mainly on the tire width compared to the wheel width. The wheel diameter doesn't mean anything.

BTW I have a friend who has a WJ with 17's and 33's. He wheels hard and has never popped a bead or bent a wheel. He can air them down with no problems.

mhughes165

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have 38" rims on the back of one of my tractors and have had that thing in worse places than I would ever take a truck, I have even pulled stuck 4x4 trucks out with all 20hp/4500lbs of it, never rolled a bead or had it anything goofy like that. It is a 1946 model with stock size rims/tires and 10lbs of air so it isn't like it is ahead of the curve either.

Not to mention the military sure takes their vehicles off road, and they don't have 15's or 16's on all of their stuff either.

Tires with a bigger hole in the middle cost a little more, but I bet people were grumping in the 60's about how much more 15's where than 14's.

what kidn of rpm's does that tructor turn, whats its top speed, how much wheeling does the tractor see....

theres alot more to is

and also all military vehicles with tires bigger the 16.5 have beadlocks to prevent such a occurance

mhughes165

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
How well a wheel/tire combo holds a bead has almost nothing to do with the wheel diameter. It depends mainly on the tire width compared to the wheel width. The wheel diameter doesn't mean anything.

BTW I have a friend who has a WJ with 17's and 33's. He wheels hard and has never popped a bead or bent a wheel. He can air them down with no problems.
yes it does, 17's for trucks are usually in aftermarket apps wider then that of stock wheels, if u run a 33x12.5 on a 17" 10" wide rim, expect problems, we are talkin rangers here, not trucks that CAME with 17's theres a major difference here.

and if its a WJ on 33's then i doubt its really wheeled hard....
my defination of wheeling hard and your defintion must be different

silveranger93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
yes it does, 17's for trucks are usually in aftermarket apps wider then that of stock wheels, if u run a 33x12.5 on a 17" 10" wide rim, expect problems, we are talkin rangers here, not trucks that CAME with 17's theres a major difference here.

and if its a WJ on 33's then i doubt its really wheeled hard....
my defination of wheeling hard and your defintion must be different
Your first paragraph point proved my point. Width is important not diameter.

Why can't a WJ with 33's be wheeled hard?

Because it has
...straight axles?
...4-linked suspension with heim joints and coils?
...33" Baja Claws?
...a V8?
...front and rear limited slip?
...a 6" lift kit?

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
what kidn of rpm's does that tructor turn, whats its top speed, how much wheeling does the tractor see....
It's a tractor, pretty much it's entire life is wheeling. European tractors regularly run 40mph, although that is not legal in the US. I would guess mine tops out at 15, it doesn't have a speedometer. Sitting 5' off of the ground with no rollover protection I really don't want to go any faster anyway.

The 20hp is at the PTO after a ton of straight cut gears, I don't know what it would have at the clutch. Spec unloaded RPM is somewhere under 1500, with 4.50" bore x 5.50" stroke it isn't much for high RPM.

For the way they are pumping out trucks with 17"+ wheels they must hold together pretty good, it would be lawsuit city if they didn't. Think of the mess Ford had with Firestone, and then think that every F-150 (the best selling vehicle in the world) has had 17" or larger rims for the last 4 years, and the off-road or FX4 trucks have had them for 11 years. If they had a hint of being unreliable I don't think they would have done it after their previous goof ups.

Your big thing is something that didn't come with 17" rims. We are talking tires and rims, as long as the rims are the proper size to start with I can get an adapter and put my F-150 rims on my Ranger and the rim/tire relationship wouldn't know the difference. It wouldn't be any more likely to come off of the rim than if I left it on my F-150.

Last edited:

mhughes165

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
the point is, tractors dont see the latteral high revving abuse that wheelers see

most of those newer trucks get smaller diameter wheels when they get lifted to actually be used offroad...(not that any of them actually are ever reall "wheeled")

no, the big thing is 17" rims on a lfited ranger does not look good, show em a ranger that came with 17's from the factory to prove me wrong,

muchless how many 17"s are steel wheels, aluminum wheels dont like wheeling, plain and simple, mud will corrode them quickly, rocks will destroy them.

anywhere u look most trucks are going to eb on 16.5 or 15" wheels, nobody wheels there new trucks....and if they do they jsut got more money then brains

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
the point is, tractors dont see the latteral high revving abuse that wheelers see
Yeah, there is absolutly no way a 4x4 tractor weighing tens of thousands of pounds (mine is a featherweight in the tractor world) can put more side load on a tire than a 4000lb RBV. Especially the ones that pivot in the middle to steer.

16.5 rims are a hated thing around here, as the tires are getting hard to find. They are commonly being scrapped for 16's.

mhughes165

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
no they really dont if u consider what kind of wheels and tires were talking about, a tractor has HEAVYYYYYY ass steel wheels and tractor tires that are CONSIDERABLY thicker walled all around then a truck tire.......its like comparing ford to daewoo, there just isnt any comparison between the two

16.5 tires are still relativly common around here, becuase most older 3/4 ton and 1 ton trucks came with them from the factory

the best kinda comparison i can come up with to show u what a truck looks liek with rims that it shouldnt have on it are from my old 79, had 16.5" rims....

as u can see 35's even on a 16.5 rim and a bigger truck there isnt enough sidewall for me not to worry about popping the bead while wheeling, id hate to see what a set of 33's on a 17" rim would look like....

Last edited:

LittleBigFoot

V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
79-00
Make / Model
Mostly Ford.
Engine Size
Building a 408w
Transmission
Automatic
Smaller wheels make the meats look bigger.... big ass tires. Isn't that what it's all about?

I'll stick to my oval shaped 15x12 black steelys thank you very much

pillen140

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
For example right now you can not get the new BFG MT in anything smaller than a 17".
i know that one! i tried to get them in 33x10.50r15, no dice! i tried to get the a/t's also, no dice! the only tires i could get were dunlop(done-flop) radial rover rvxl's. bfg are on back order(called bfg mrg.) probly produced later next month, but not even enough to fill current back order! i was p.o.'ed:scare:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals