• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Post your annoying bucking symptoms here

powerranger262

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Since I have read through countless, and I mean countless posts about the buck that these trucks do, I wanted to start a thread dedicated to troubleshooting this problem. 3.0, 4.0, 4 cyl, whatever. Tell what yours does and anything that you have tried or heard to try to fix it.

Mine is a 02 FX4, 4.0L SOHC. 97,000 miles. When I am light on the throttle, it will buck or jerk the truck, until I let off the gas and hit it again to make it downshift. Mostly when going into OD. I always have to do this letting off the throttle thing whenever I am approaching a hill.

Things I have done/tried. New plugs, wires, IAC, cleaned TB and MAF. Replace my Airhog filter with stock paper one, fuel filter, idler and tensioner pullies replaced. Changed trans fluid and filter, TPS and PCV valve replaced.

Engine doesn't skip a beat besides this problem. Also, no CEL. I'm starting to lean towards a new MAF, or taking it to the stealership for the computer upgrade.

AaronC47

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Bucking Truck,

I dont have the issue with mine BUT, Have you maybe considered changing or trying a different coil pack ? I am wondering if yours may have a crack somewhere. Also, If in recent past, you to were guilty also of running the gas tank way down till you had no choice but to stop for more then maybe your injectors are dirty or plugging up a bit, you could be pulling sediment off bottom of tank. The only real other thing I can think of is when my sister and brother in law were in Tampa Fl. he replaced motor, after, it didnt run well at all, come to find out their flexplate was cracked and really screwing things up. :icon_cheers:

Big Jim M

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Then comes me!

I've never had an engine problem that I didn't repair and FIX immediatly. Only rarely have I allowed an engine of mine get so out of whack that it actually did buck and jump. But if it did it would have been repaired immediatly.
Big JIm:hottubfun::wub:

powerranger262

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Tell me what it is and I will FIX it immediately.

Big Jim M

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ok then

Tell me what it is and I will FIX it immediately.
Have you cleaned the maf? Did that airhog (whatever that is) get the maf dirty? It does sound like the mixture is a bit lean when you attempt to downshift, or anyway it is time to downshift.
The maf could be not seeing all the air passing thru it.
Big JIm:hottubfun::wub:

BRUTUS_T_HOG

Article Contributor
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Since I have read through countless, and I mean countless posts about the buck that these trucks do, I wanted to start a thread dedicated to troubleshooting this problem. 3.0, 4.0, 4 cyl, whatever. Tell what yours does and anything that you have tried or heard to try to fix it.

Mine is a 02 FX4, 4.0L SOHC. 97,000 miles. When I am light on the throttle, it will buck or jerk the truck, until I let off the gas and hit it again to make it downshift. Mostly when going into OD. I always have to do this letting off the throttle thing whenever I am approaching a hill.

Things I have done/tried. New plugs, wires, IAC, cleaned TB and MAF. Replace my Airhog filter with stock paper one, fuel filter, idler and tensioner pullies replaced. Changed trans fluid and filter, TPS and PCV valve replaced.

Engine doesn't skip a beat besides this problem. Also, no CEL. I'm starting to lean towards a new MAF, or taking it to the stealership for the computer upgrade.
disable your EGR valve and see if the problem goes away. just try it

powerranger262

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Yes, cleaned the MAF twice now. When I disable the EGR, should I unhook the battery and let things reset themselves also?

BRUTUS_T_HOG

Article Contributor
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Yes, cleaned the MAF twice now. When I disable the EGR, should I unhook the battery and let things reset themselves also?
no. just unplug the vacuum line and cap it. that will tell you if the EGR is the problem.

your symptoms sounds exactly like a bad EGR diaphragm. the computer commands the EGR to open under light loads.

if the EGR valve is electric then just unplug it

powerranger262

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Sounds good, I'll go try it now.

powerranger262

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Didn't work. There is also a EGR vacuum regulator that goes to the EGR itself. What would happen if I unplugged that?

03ranger4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
my 03 started bucking when i changed plugs, drove me insane. I went to the store and saw i put regular resistor plugs in instead of the "iridium" plugs. Which i honestly think wouldnt make a huge difference.

Then as i replaced the plugs with the iridium plugs, i found that i cracked one of the insulators on the resistor plugs which cuased the whole problem in the 1st place. I even replaced the plug wires thinking that maybe from my removing them the first time one got messed up. Had no idea i cracked the plug until hours of frustration and a new wire set later. brightside, my plugs AND wires are brand new and shouldnt give me any trouble anytime soon.

powerranger262

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I put Autolite double platinums in it. Does anybody know offhand if they are iridium plugs?

wahl_7s

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
6.4,3.0,3.0,4.0SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
use the same thing that came out of it its been my experience to only run MOTORCRAFT! my$.02

powerranger262

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Finally got a CEL for cylinder misfire 3. Pulled my new plugs and found the ceramic was cracked. Put new one in, and it runs great again. So what I learned is to check over my new plugs for any sign on the tiniest crack before install.

StratGT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
My 2009 Ranger did the same, after searching the forums and finding so many different opinions I decided to take it back to the dealer. End up being a bad ignition coil which went bad at only 10K? Seriously Ford only 10K? The Mechanic showed it to me and it burned a hole right through it. It got allot worse when I drove through a car wash and I barely made it out.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals