• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Power Lock Issue

ftlbs

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I have a buddy who owns a 2000 Ranger with the factory power locks and the when he pushes the "unlock" or "lock" button on his door or his key fob, the locks act like they don't have enough power (umpf) and they won't move. He has to use his key to lock and unlock the doors from the outside of his truck.

Is this a problem that will require replacing the motors in both doors? Is there a less expensive solution or adjustment to get his locks working again? Thanks in advance!

ftlbs

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Anybody have thoughts on this???

snoman6115

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
v6 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
mine kinda does that but only with teh fob. if i unlock or lock from inside its fine. idk i was thinkin low battery but im to lazy to change it

Ronv

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Rangers S
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Just off the top I am thinking low battery or bad ground. Especially a ground from the frame to the door being ,"wired".
Good luck ;)

greatjohn9

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
3.0 Flex
Transmission
Automatic
actually i just did a repair to the door lock actuators on my 2000 Ranger. I had the same symptoms.the problem is the overload for the acuator motor. To do the repair you need to remove the door lock assembly. then remove the actuator from the door lock. Drill out the two rivets in the actuator. pry open the actuator. inside you will find gears and a motor. remove the motor and bend back the two little tabs holding on the plastic part of the motor. remove the plastic part of the motor. inside there is a flat rectangular piece of metal around 3/8" x 1/2" pull it out of the motor. wrap the piece with aluminum foil approx 5 wraps. put everything back together. when doing this u need to put two small screws in where the rivets were to hold the actuator together. i know this may sound sketchy but the overload goes bad over time and the motor is so small that the motor will fail before you mess up anything else. if you have any questions just leave me a message

jackoholic

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
Greatjohn

I've just tried this repair for the power lock actuators but now that everything is back together the switch function has been reversed? Lock now unlocks the doors and pressing unlock locks them.

I don't know how this happened since both of the plugs are keyed and the resistance tab in the small motor seems like it can only be inserted on one side.

Has anyone else had this problem? :icon_confused:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals