• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

power steering bracket question

iceracer60

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
5.0 h.o.
Transmission
Manual
im doin a 302 swap in a 85 currently, and with the engine in frame i got an 1/8 inch clearance between the steer gear and the lower hose for the power steering pump. does anyone kno if there are any other power steering pump brackets out there. btw my engine is from a 87 crown vic interceptor. thanks in advance

Psychopete

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
im doin a 302 swap in a 85 currently, and with the engine in frame i got an 1/8 inch clearance between the steer gear and the lower hose for the power steering pump. does anyone kno if there are any other power steering pump brackets out there. btw my engine is from a 87 crown vic interceptor. thanks in advance
I used an aftermarket bracket that fit wonderfully, but was a pain in the butt to line up. I have several inches between the pump and the steering box, and my engine is setting in there pretty low.

I have an '87 Grand Marquis p/s bracket lying around not doing much... I am not sure how that would fit though, could very well be the same exact bracket.

There are also pumps that direct the return strait back out of the pump, instead of down.

Pete

iceracer60

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
5.0 h.o.
Transmission
Manual
pete, do you remember which aftermarket bracket you went with? the factory bracket for my engine is the bracket that integrates the power steering pump and the alternator in one bracket, i already have an aftermarket alt bracket, so id just like to relocate the p/s pump if i could. thanks

iceracer60

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
5.0 h.o.
Transmission
Manual
alrite after looking at that bracket, i have to ask does that mount it in the stock location or does it shift the pump up a little higher than stock. i have my engine mounted pretty low to drop the cog in the front.

iceracer60

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
5.0 h.o.
Transmission
Manual
heres a pic i found on my phone, not the best but you can see how close the pump bracket is to the frame
<br>

Psychopete

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Those hedman 89500s? Just curious on what route you took (or are taking) for the passenger side header?

Here where mine is mounted with that bracket:

Pete

iceracer60

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
5.0 h.o.
Transmission
Manual
yea they are hedman headers, and they are made for the swap, so the right side header goes straight down off the engine. for motor mounts im using the advance adapters kit. if you would like to see more pics of my swap, visit my myspace at www.myspace.com/iceracer60

Teddyzee

December 2011 STOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L HO, GT40 heads, GT40 intake, 65mm TB, 1.7rr, Tri-Y headers, dual 2.5" exhaust, Flowmaster muffl
Transmission
Manual
I'd go with name brand stuff. I bought those brackets from that guy, they don't work with a reverse rotation water pump, as they require multiple different spacer heights. (check the directions for the summit kits, for example)

Here's my setup: Mustang PS aluminum bracket, Stock Mustang non-ac hardware. (also sold as the AC-elimnation kit)

it sits up high.

iceracer60

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
5.0 h.o.
Transmission
Manual
teddyzee. what year mustang bracket is that for? it looks like it picks up the pump quite a bit

okietheranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
5.0 HO
Transmission
Manual
I used mine off a 89 HO it fit perfict

COPPERHEAD85

V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Nice valve covers pete!

85-86 crown vic

Teddyzee

December 2011 STOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L HO, GT40 heads, GT40 intake, 65mm TB, 1.7rr, Tri-Y headers, dual 2.5" exhaust, Flowmaster muffl
Transmission
Manual
I believe my PS bracket is '87-'93, non-AC.

The alt bracket is from a 5.0 Mustang, but I cut off the tensioner arm. The turnbuckle adjuster is a super-convenient piece with left hand threads on each end. The only piece I used from that eBay bracket kit.

iceracer60

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
5.0 h.o.
Transmission
Manual
pete, thanks for the heads up on the pumps with the rear returns. i was bored at work today and found that the 94 stang pumps were rear return pumps just incase anyone else is running into clearance problems

iceracer60

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
5.0 h.o.
Transmission
Manual
so i got a rear return pump the other day and went to put it on and found i actually hit the adjustment screw on the gear now so back to the drawing board looking for a new bracket lol

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals