• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

power steering pump

Ranger Rod

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 vulcan
Transmission
Automatic
OK, whats the trick???

Three bolts secure the unit into the mounting bracket, thing is to back out the said bolts the pulley must come off. The center Allen bolt for the pulley will not budge even with pipe wrench on the outer ring surrounding the Allen bolt (maybe the outer ring and bolt are one piece?)(maybe the Allen bolt is left hand thread like the fan is?). I am sooooooo confused and yes frustrated. Unlike other accessories on the motor, this pulley does not have multiple fastening screws to use as leverage. Please, who can answer this conundrum?

Psychopete

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I looked up your PS pump and it doesn't look like it's anything out of the ordinary. You need a PS pulley remover and installer (some new pumps come w/ a installer made with a bolt/washer set up) set. It uses that ridge on the very end of the pulley as a point to pull it off.

Pete

Last edited:

Ranger Rod

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 vulcan
Transmission
Automatic
You are saying all I require is a pully puller and there is no fastener / bolt holding it on?

Ranger Rod

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 vulcan
Transmission
Automatic
In giving it further thought, if the pully comes directly off lets say with a puller, that leaves an allen bolt dead center and so, there is no where to screw in an installer to press pully back on. Now I am even more confused than before lol.

Psychopete

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
In giving it further thought, if the pully comes directly off lets say with a puller, that leaves an allen bolt dead center and so, there is no where to screw in an installer to press pully back on. Now I am even more confused than before lol.
There's no thread? Edit: Maybe it takes a special puller that uses that hex head as a point of pushing against?

Pete

Last edited:

Ranger Rod

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 vulcan
Transmission
Automatic
the pic above is different motor, but same pwrst pump,, in center is allen bolt which appeas to be seated in a ring of sorts. I am baffled as to how an installer will thread into an allen bolts head?

Ranger Rod

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 vulcan
Transmission
Automatic
Forget this pully pullers and crap, will probly just do damage trying to remove it. I just need to repair the nipple on the underside which was brittle in -18c temps when I began the project,,, I will just remove the entire housing instaed, will be less hassle I think.

Ranger Rod

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 vulcan
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for trying Mr. Pete. Don't know what I was thinking in assuming it would be as simple as..... hahaha

ranger92

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
3.0l
Transmission
Automatic
You will need a special power steering pump pulley removal tool:

Disconnect the negative battery cable.
Remove the accessory drive belt.
Drain and remove the radiator coolant recovery reservoir.
Position a drain pan under the power steering pump. Disconnect the power steering pump reservoir hose and allow it to drain.
Using Pulley Remover T69L-10300-B, or equivalent, remove the pulley from the power steering pump shaft .
Disconnect the left turn pressure hose from the power steering pump and allow it to drain.
Remove the power steering pump retaining bolts and the pump.
To install:

Install the power steering pump and tighten bolts to 15-22 ft. lbs. (20-30 Nm).
Connect the left turn pressure hose and secure clamp.
Using a Steering Pump Pulley Replacer T65P-3A733-C, or equivalent, install the power steering pump pulley: the pulley face must be flush with the pump shaft or within 0.010 inch (0.25mm).
Fill the power steering reservoir with power steering fluid. Connect the negative battery cable.
Start the engine and check for leaks and proper operation. Bleed the power steering system if needed.

betomonroy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
The thread is past the allen toll look alike hole. And you need regular pulley removing and installing tools.

Last edited:

Ranger Rod

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 vulcan
Transmission
Automatic
job complete, thanks every one.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals