• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Problem with new truck

Fordisthebest30

Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
4.0 and 2.2
Transmission
Manual
i bought a new truck about a month ago, and i went to the dark side. 2000 GMC Sierra 4x4 with 125k miles for 7 grand. Well after i bought it i noticed a slight tick and it's been driving me insane.

Heres a pic.
Anyways, maybe it's just me but it only happens occassionally when it's cold and im thinking it might be a stuck injector(hopefully) because it also feels like it's missing. When i say missing, i cant feel it when im driving i can feel it when i put my hand on top of the engine while its running and can actually feel it missing a beat.
I threw some seafoam into the oil reservoir after i changed the oil (didnt notice any shavings that i remember) and im going to throw some into the fuel tank when i fill up next.
Anyone have any better ideas? I want to fix this before it goes into a bigger problem, and don't want to play the guessing game with this one.

Andy D

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
The Rat
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
My credo
to prevent Found On the Road Dead, Fix Or Repair Daily
The truck is OBD 2. If the engine is missing, it should be throwing a code. Take it someplace and get it read. The stuff my BIL goes through with his, makes me glad I have the Rat :D

Last edited:

Fordisthebest30

Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
4.0 and 2.2
Transmission
Manual
its not throwing any codes thats the weird part. Of course i have had a car where it was missing bad and wasn't throwing any codes. Im thinking of trying either an engine flush or marvel mystery oil.

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
Some vehicles always have a slight 'tick' noise to them. It is nothing to worry about unless it is really super loud. That could mean a bad lifter or a cam sensor or a bad injector. I hear a lot of ticking noises on a lot of Ford Rangers, Chevy, Dodge cars and trucks that my friends have owned since new. My 99 4.0 has always had a slight tick to it since it was brand new when I bought it. Not a worry to me. If you feel it is really bad then take it to a shop and let them hear it.

PanamaExpat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
4 liter
Transmission
Manual
Take it to the dealer that you bought it from and have their people fix it. Didn't they put some kind of used vehicle warranty on it?

Other wise not to just give you a bad time ... You did buy a Chevy.

Last edited:

Ranger1776

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
a teacher of mine says his silverado ticks when its cold because it has composite pistons without the skirt and they shrink more than the cylinder... not sure if youre truck is new enough to have that design or not but i see that you said it was when it was cold...

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
It's a GM. they tick lol.

As long as its not super loud I wouldn't worry.

ddranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
it's normal when cold for those engines to have a little tick.

Andy D

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
The Rat
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
My credo
to prevent Found On the Road Dead, Fix Or Repair Daily
Heh heh , the last Chevy I had was a 57. But now that it was mentioned , I do remember reading about piston slap. That is another attraction for me. The Rat doesn't have an SBC :yahoo:

Fordisthebest30

Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
4.0 and 2.2
Transmission
Manual
yeah i mean its strange, and its my first chevy, and it might be my last chevy just because it seems like a lot of people have this problem and it's embarrassing whenever you come to a stop. Im gonna throw some mystery oil in it and hope for the best lol
Thanks guys

naford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
That would be right around the year that Chevy had a problem with piston slap on the Corvette.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
1st problem its a GM product.

The clicking noise is pretty normal on those from what I've heard. Seems kind of normal across the different brands, I know my grandfather's 93 ranger had a horrible valve train noise, even after the whole upper end was replaced it actually was worse afterwards. As long as its not throwing codes its apparently nothing major. Check your engine oil and make sure its the proper level.

Fordisthebest30

Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
4.0 and 2.2
Transmission
Manual
yeah ive done some research about the piston slap and I watched a video on a guy who had it and it sounds nothing like the piston slap. Its got to be either a sticky injector or more likely the lifters. I've learned a whole lot through the wonders of youtube. Im gonna pull it into the shop tomorrow and pull the valve covers and see if its anything major. Thanks guys for the quick responses.

Captain Ledd

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you're not making mistakes, you're not learning.
I'm gonna put another vote in for piston slap. Mine makes a clatter, nearly every single one I've heard over 100k does as well. Especially if you've got the 350 in it.

PanamaExpat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
4 liter
Transmission
Manual
Well if yo haven't any warranty issues throw some Marvel's in the gas tank. It should help free up a sticky injector.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals