• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Project Little Green Turd

merch

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
351w
Transmission
Automatic
Did you check your spider gears in front/rear? I dont know what axles you have but ive killed many d28's just puttin around the yard playing.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

wizkid00104

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994/2002
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L/5.4L
Transmission
Manual
Rear has an eaton posi. No spiders. I inspected the front through the drain hole and couldn't find a metal shavings. I tried everything today and it seams to wkrk

Sent from my iPhone

wizkid00104

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994/2002
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L/5.4L
Transmission
Manual
I got everything reassembled and tested. No more grinding noise. 1bad got me the axle retainer clips I've been missing the entire time I've owned the truck. The cleanup and regrease got rid of the clunk I was getting from the front end too.

I was able to repair the threads on knuckle with a M10x1.25 die. Cleaned everything up and get a replacement nut. When I do the brake rotors before inspection this year, I am going to replace all 10 nuts with grade 8.8 nyloc nuts.

On another note, I am pretty sure I am going to go out with 1bad in 2 weeks to actually try my little creation off road. In the mean time, I am tracking down one more 15x8 rim for my swampers. Anyone have one lying around, or even better a 15x8 AR Outlaw 2? I am waiting to hear back about a steely from craigslist, but haven't found anything else reasonably priced and I don't want to buy a new one. :thefinger:

wizkid00104

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994/2002
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L/5.4L
Transmission
Manual
Picked up a new 15x8 wheel today for $20 and a 2 mile drive from work. I call that a good day! Swamper can be mounted now....

Rowdy Fitzgerald

Hog hunter
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987, 1989
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
6”
Tire Size
Wire brush/wheel the hell out of it then fiberglass it up! I heard of a spray that stops rust. It was like a primer but it was only colored so you'd be able to tell where it was when it dried. My dad said he had used it on his truck a few years back.

redneckfordf2502002

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L V6 4.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
Here ya go man pics of the floor boards. Personally I would say the same. The measurements are rough so I am posting them but I wouldn't be sad if they are a bit off. Sorry the truck was stripped before I found out about your truck swap
Also can I get a close up pic of one of your doors trying to see what I have will work for the truck I am looking at.
Trav

wizkid00104

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994/2002
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L/5.4L
Transmission
Manual
Did a little bit of work on the Ranger this past week. Fuse block for the electric fan melted so I replaced that Monday.

Finally figured out my alignment issue. I had the passenger side axle beam on the lower hole of the bracket and the driver's side on the upper hole from discussion with Brinker quite a while ago. The truck always pulled to the right and I just wasn't happy with the feel after I had it aligned. I took measurements from axle pivot bolt to the ground and discovered the passenger side beam needed raised up a bolt hole.

I did all this yesterday and as a result, the passenger side front wheel has really increased camber now. However, the vehicle drives straight. This morning I ordered (2) adjustable camber bushings from Rock Auto. They are Moog K8986 which are adjustable from 0.75 Deg. to 2.5 Deg. The passengers side front currently has a 2.75 Deg. non adjustable in it so I think I am in the correct range. And the best part is that they were on closeout... $2.92 each. Shipped to my door for $14 (a bit of a raping on shipping, but advance wanted $37 each). :yahoo:

I can mess with the radius arms to gain more caster if needed. Currently the passengers side is at 5 turns out to help compensate for the misaligned axle beam and the drivers side is a 3 turns out. Once I get the new bushings installed, I will take some measurements and get a feel for how it drives and see where to go from there.

After this, I need to do brake pads, calipers, and rotors to pass inspection and get a new set of 31s. Plus replace the drivers side floor board. If I don't have new tires by August, I'll just use the swampers to pass inspection. I need to put tires on Nicoles Grand Vitara too. Gotta love buying tires....

wizkid00104

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994/2002
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L/5.4L
Transmission
Manual
Alignment bushings arrive. This is want $2.92 buys you. Moog bushings in CarQuest boxes. Passengers side bushing looks pretty easy to remove since its only been in a year. The drivers side looks like a pain in the ass.... I'll scan in a copy of the alignment table and the instructions if anyone ever needs it for reference.

I am going to start messing with those after this weekend. Have a wedding out of town. Happy 4th!

1badexplorer

Firefighter
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0, 501, 7.3psd, 351c, 351w
Transmission
Manual
If you are going to have the camber bushing out and need brakes and rotors and calipers sounds to me like its a great time to upgrade to some dual piston brakes. I can maybe get you a piece of floor pan too.

wizkid00104

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994/2002
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L/5.4L
Transmission
Manual
Do you have a good set of 31s for the hat trick?

Sent from my iPhone

1badexplorer

Firefighter
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0, 501, 7.3psd, 351c, 351w
Transmission
Manual
I did have a set of new ones. But I sold them a few months ago.

wizkid00104

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994/2002
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L/5.4L
Transmission
Manual
Are you going to be around this Saturday? I wanted to stop down to see the floor and knuckles and if you don't mind, mount my super swampers.

wizkid00104

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994/2002
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L/5.4L
Transmission
Manual
Cooling fan from LMC bit the dust. I measured the resistance through the motor and was getting some near 0.3 ohms. If you work the math out, that means it pulls about 40 amps when it turns on which easily blows the fuse....

All the local parts stores had 12" and 16" fans in stock, so I just ordered one from Advance Auto. All said and done it was half the cost of the one from LMC. THe interesting part is that the LMC fan was made in China.... the Advance Fan (at least the blades) are made in the USA....

I checked the resistance in the new fan and it was a much better number at 5.2 ohms. The only things I had to do were flip the fan blade to switch it from a pusher to a puller and I soldered the connector from the old fan on to make it easy to remove. So far it works great. The last fan worked for 11 months... how long will this one survive?

New Hayden Imperial fan is on the left. Fan Specs are here.

Test drove it with my co-pilot and he thought it worked well.

I looked at doing the knuckle upgrade and I decided against it. All of the brake components for the twin piston are twice as much and I really have no need for it at the moment.

On its way to me are re-manufactured front calipers, Powerstop brake pads, new rotors, Autolite Platinum spark plugs, new thermostat, water outlet neck, water pump, and upper radiator hose. Going to get all that installed and get my alignment sorted out then it will be time for some new shoes.

I can get a floor pan of Nick hopefully. If not, I will order one of those too.

I might actually get some time to get things done this weekend... we will see.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals