• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Project: STX Rehab

coyotefiveoh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 Diesel
Transmission
Manual
yes they do loook almost brand new! brakes look good! wish my truck was that nice... mine has alot of rust (rear fenders, floor pan, frame is starting to rot, bottom of doors are shot) although it is a diesel with 312,000 KM :) One day i think i may have to find myself a better condition 83-87 and swap it all over or just put alot of labor into it...

LonesomeSTX

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
351FI
Transmission
Automatic
I want an original diesel Ranger so freaking bad.

coyotefiveoh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 Diesel
Transmission
Manual
to bad you were not closer, i see quite a few popping up around here in BC canada. usually 1-3 a year. I bought mine (4x4 diesel) about a year ago. When i was originally looking to find a diesel, i found about 2-4 for sale just by putting out wanted adds.... bought mine for $3400 CAD, and probably overpaid, but it was what i wanted and pickings were slim... especially since the guy didnt really wanna sell it & 2 were 2WD & the other one was a few hundred miles away vs just around the block... has paid for itself in fuel savings so im not too worried! 30MPG on average. Probably could get more when i get pump rebuilt, new/rebuilt injectors.

also just bought a running parts 2wd diesel (rear end is seized & body is pretty bad, engine runs mint though.) with 159,000KM for $500 that im gonna give the engine a re/re and throw it in replace of my 300,000km engine and build it for a brand new spare when the time comes....

the parts truck i just bought, the engine runs better than the one in my truck currently. Nothing is wrong with the one in my truck per say, but its starting to leak all over the place and could probably use a rebuild and update :D

Quick clip of my truck firing up about a year ago when i originally took the video. I need to do a driveby one day so i can see the billowing smoke & get a better idea how she sounds with the hair dryer turbo spooling up haha, sorry, dont know how to embed video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vM5TM893p0I

Last edited:

LonesomeSTX

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
351FI
Transmission
Automatic
Did Ford make first gen diesel Rangers with four wheel drive?

LonesomeSTX

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
351FI
Transmission
Automatic
Installed newish windshield wipers. One I bought new from the store and the other I found in a salvage yard. Yeah, that is all I gotten done lately.

Took the STX out of town yesterday and it did pretty well. I have seen an improvement in fuel mileage and it shifts much better. But it still idles high though. I guess I have a vacuum leak somewhere. I just do not know what else to look for. Anything thoughts?

coyotefiveoh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 Diesel
Transmission
Manual
Did Ford make first gen diesel Rangers with four wheel drive?
yes they did... not sure about the 83-84 rangers with the 2.2L Perkins Diesel... but the 85-87 rangers with the 2.3L Mitsubishi Diesel did for sure as mine is a factory diesel 4x4 & my buddy has a factory 4x4 diesel ranger as well.

Yea, sounds like a vacuum leak or a sensor problem.... have you changed the ECT sensor, cleaned maf, IAC, and check vacuum pressure to determine if there is a leak.

LonesomeSTX

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
351FI
Transmission
Automatic
I have got to find one of those.

coyotefiveoh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 Diesel
Transmission
Manual
they are around, just keep looking! Put out a wanted add in local listings if you are really serious about it. Took me about 1-2 months to find a few of them. Now just searching around all the time i can usually find one a month listed... some running, some not.

LonesomeSTX

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
351FI
Transmission
Automatic
I never see them around here. Might be worth the road trip.

coyotefiveoh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 Diesel
Transmission
Manual
If i see more ill post em up. Im always looking for them even though i cannot afford another right now haha.

LonesomeSTX

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
351FI
Transmission
Automatic
Hopefully I will be in a position to get it.

LonesomeSTX

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
351FI
Transmission
Automatic
Nothing real glamorous to report on this build, I am still sorting out the basics. Yesterday I repaired a pretty significant power steering leak. It left puddles on my driveway it was leaking so badly. That leak contributed to the nastiness under the truck. I have been working to clean it all up and have made a lot of headway. Next will be an oil leak I found. I am still having an idle issue but it comes and goes. I am planning to get into the fuel system soon. Today I found a few things at the salvage yard. I got a very nice spare. Now I can get rid of the 14 inch rim and tire and I have been driving around with as my spare. I picked up a few minor things that will help update the interior just a bit. I do not want to change too much though. I will get into those details when I gut the interior.

LonesomeSTX

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
351FI
Transmission
Automatic
Now this really sucks. I have been slowly accumulating the pieces and parts I need for a while now. I was planning to get started on the suspension very soon. And I almost have what I need to finish interior. I also have a new set of tires coming from a buddy of mine. Then this happened. Another driver tried to shoot across four lanes of traffic because he “thought he could make it”. I broadsided his car as a result. This is what really pisses me off. We have the same insurance company but there is talk of them totaling the truck. I am very angry. The bad part is the whole truck will have to be painted. There is just no way to match the new fender with the old faded paint. I love the old faded green on it. Painting the whole truck will easily exceed its value. Luckily I have a friend that works at the body shop the insurance company uses. He and I are working to keep the cost down.

clflorida

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
^Its something about this week.

In AR, people have been driving like absolute ****tards all week.

But I hope everything works out for you. I like the green color too.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals