• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

putting 2.3 in a toyota

mototrevo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Manual
so i know where i can get a early 80's toyota with the solid axels. its got a 22r engine in it but despite what everybody thinks of these i dont like them, so i plan on putting a 2.3 ford in it, just need some help on whether they make a adapter plate or something to bolt up to the rest of the drivetrain. i would like just use my tranny and t-case but the toyota axels are right side drive and my t-case is setup for left side drive? any ideas?

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Well, it'd definitely be something different. All the Toyota guys will probably hate you with a passion though.
The 2.3 is a good motor, although I'd go for a 4.0L V6 if you're gonna go through all the effort of swapping a Ford motor in there (give that truck a little power it's never seen before).

As for dealing with the t-case/axle, maybe a 1354 doubler mated to a p-side drop D300 case (or maybe to the Toy case?)... or maybe swap a d-side Dana44 into it (Waggy D44s are 6-lug like the Toy axles, you'd need an IFS Toy rear axle (or the Waggy rear) to match the front's width better though if you went that route).
You're not going to find much in the way of bolt-on adapters to put a p-side drop t-case directly on a RBV trans (outside of using the Atlas II). But then again, with all the other fabricating that will be needed to pull off this swap, it shouldn't be hard to make any adapter for it.

What's your complaint about the 22R? why not just put a 22RE in there?

mhughes165

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
the power is equivilant with the 2.3 and 22r, if u wnat more power out of a 4cylinder toyota you can run a 22ret, turbo 4 banger puts out as much power as a 4.0. there is no point in changin out the front toyota axle as it is probably the strongest front axle i have ever laid my hands on.

on another note, advance adapters sells motor mounts and bellhousing adapters for a ford small block to drop it into a toyota pickup truck, toyota guys will pat u on the back for a small block swap, however a ford 4cylinder wont piss them off more less make them just scratch there head. there is no point

mototrevo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Manual
the reason behind me wanting to do this is because i have the engine, we have a fever four race car so we know those engines like the back of our hand plus we have the parts and know how to make quite some power. ive been talking to several toyota enthusiats and they say throwing an extra 100 to 150 extra horses at the axles, they would need some beefing up.

heres and idea that i got. uses a 2 wheel drive tranny out of mustang or ranger hook it up to a samurai t-case and call it good? any objections/problems forseen?

and as far as pissing of the yota people.. sorry but just thinking outside the box and being a ford guy, rising gas prices and the whole possible engine size tax... why not

mhughes165

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
the reason behind me wanting to do this is because i have the engine, we have a fever four race car so we know those engines like the back of our hand plus we have the parts and know how to make quite some power. ive been talking to several toyota enthusiats and they say throwing an extra 100 to 150 extra horses at the axles, they would need some beefing up.

heres and idea that i got. uses a 2 wheel drive tranny out of mustang or ranger hook it up to a samurai t-case and call it good? any objections/problems forseen?

and as far as pissing of the yota people.. sorry but just thinking outside the box and being a ford guy, rising gas prices and the whole possible engine size tax... why not

well, idk who u been talkin to about toyotas but toyota solid axles will hold 44's with a small block all day long, u dont believe me..........

his truck has had the same set of rears under it since the truck was built back in 1997, its on its second body now.

the 22r can easily build as much power as a ford 2.3, i had one in my 2wd puttin out about 260 ponies on sunoco 104 octane, all motor.

the sami case if u plan on doing any semi serious wheeling will not hold up to the challenge with tires about 35's.

im just tellin ya cause i have built more then a handfull of these trucks with everything from a ford small block and chevy small blocks and also buick motors. adapters exist for all those motors and will be the absolute smallest amount of fab work and the most reliable setup u can get. if u go completely custom like u are planning it will break and not be anywhere nearly as reliable as running toyota drivetrain.

not that im knocking u for considering trying it, but its not really worth the work

JFA_Spyderman

Law Enforcement
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Yo,
Older Nissan 720 (up through 85') pickup trucks used divorced transfer cases. You could use that in conjunction with a 2WD 4.0 tranny. Then all you would need is custom driveshafts.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
im just tellin ya cause i have built more then a handfull of these trucks with everything from a ford small block and chevy small blocks and also buick motors. adapters exist for all those motors and will be the absolute smallest amount of fab work and the most reliable setup u can get. if u go completely custom like u are planning it will break and not be anywhere nearly as reliable as running toyota drivetrain.
I think if he gets it in there there will be much less breakage with a 2.3 than with a smallblock anything. Bigger engines will cause more carnage than a smaller one, especially running a light truck drivetrain with oversized tires. Once the parts come together there shouldn't be a whole lot to it.

I would have to think about running the Toyota engine though, people go nuts over them and it is still a 4-banger the same as the Ford, only it is a bolt in.

It would be much less work for the same amount of gain, if you want the 2.3 shop for a Ford, they did put them 4x4 trucks until the mid 90's. You would probably end up shelling out the same amount of cash to make something as it would take just to buy one outright.

mototrevo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Manual
okay i see your point. sweet pics by the way. i do plan on using the toyota axles for sure. otherwise i would have done a SAS on something else. but those axels on that big one in the pic arent beefed up at all? (dont consider regearing)

yeah you could make good power of of any 4 banger though, the only reason for me wanting to to use the 2.3 is that i have one around. dont want to go find a 4.0 or 302 or 350 or anything. i want to drive this semi-daily so gas mileage is an issue

do you think the t-case out of the nissan 720 would hold up to the abuse of 35's

Last edited:

mhughes165

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
okay i see your point. sweet pics by the way. i do plan on using the toyota axles for sure. otherwise i would have done a SAS on something else. but those axels on that big one in the pic arent beefed up at all? (dont consider regearing)

yeah you could make good power of of any 4 banger though, the only reason for me wanting to to use the 2.3 is that i have one around. dont want to go find a 4.0 or 302 or 350 or anything. i want to drive this semi-daily so gas mileage is an issue

do you think the t-case out of the nissan 720 would hold up to the abuse of 35's
the only beefing up done to the axles is 4.88's and welded in the back, toyota axles most people dont realize especially if the truck is a long bed are actually 1 ton axles, if its a short bed they are 3/4 ton axles, u can not liken toyota axles to ranger axles as there is no comparison, i actually got a wicked project in the works that when its finished should piss alot of people off.....privew....BII...Toyota Axles coil sprung up front with a custom radius arm set up, 4.3 sm465 div 205 12" lift on 40"s :p

just run the toyota 22r until it dies(which it may never), and u will grow to love it

mhughes165

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I think if he gets it in there there will be much less breakage with a 2.3 than with a smallblock anything. Bigger engines will cause more carnage than a smaller one, especially running a light truck drivetrain with oversized tires. Once the parts come together there shouldn't be a whole lot to it.
u dont have much experience with solid axle toyotas do ya?
the average"light truck" axle and a toyota solid axle is simply no comaprison at all, imagine if u will....baiscally having a 14blt ff in the back and a open knuckle disc brake d70 up front(with longfields) thats the strenth comparison i would liken the toyota axles to......they just dont break

mototrevo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Manual
thanks for the yoto lesson. i definatly dont feel like a dumbass

any ways im just gonna do it... 2.3---5speed tranny out of ranger/mustang---t-case undecided. ill find something cheap put it in if it breaks... oh well, oh well.

im liking the picture your painting with the bronco duece. keep some pictures posted. and ill do the same

Totalled

Law Enforcement
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
8 rabid gophers
Transmission
Automatic
well, idk who u been talkin to about toyotas but toyota solid axles will hold 44's with a small block all day long, u dont believe me..........
Maybe if you're pounding pavement all day...

mhughes165

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
thanks for the yoto lesson. i definatly dont feel like a dumbass

any ways im just gonna do it... 2.3---5speed tranny out of ranger/mustang---t-case undecided. ill find something cheap put it in if it breaks... oh well, oh well.

im liking the picture your painting with the bronco duece. keep some pictures posted. and ill do the same
np, if u need any yota related advice shoot me a pm, its the other kind of vehicle i know everything about lol

mhughes165

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Maybe if you're pounding pavement all day...
once again a disbeliever, u can beleive what u want, i know what works time and time again, with just a set of longfields for the front axle and ur set (if u know how to wheel anyways u never turn the wheel when ur hammering the gas)

oh ya both those trucks have been wheeled every weekend for the past 7 years with teh same set of rears under each of them, one on 38's and one on 44's

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
u dont have much experience with solid axle toyotas do ya?
the average"light truck" axle and a toyota solid axle is simply no comaprison at all, imagine if u will....baiscally having a 14blt ff in the back and a open knuckle disc brake d70 up front(with longfields) thats the strenth comparison i would liken the toyota axles to......they just dont break
Nope, zilch, I never claimed to. I have often marveled at their ability to shed the rocker panels though...

I was saying regaurdless of what axles are in it, you WILL break less stuff with a four banger than a smallblock, your statement was that if you get a kit and put a smallblock in it you will have less breakage, which doesn't make much sense. More power = more busted stuff, I don't care whose sticker is on it.

I also have a hard time buying that the puny little axles in those trucks are as strong as the ones in a F-350, but I have never been around one. Being rated to carry 2000 lbs (which I think even the 7.5 is) is alot different than being a "one ton" axle. It is rare to have very much carnage with a D35 and 8.8 (or even a 7.5) in a RBV as well...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals